Badly pitted barrel on new CW9

This is a discussion on Badly pitted barrel on new CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow. That is some bad machining. Did they use a hand crank drill and a rusty drillbit??...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Badly pitted barrel on new CW9

Wow. That is some bad machining. Did they use a hand crank drill and a rusty drillbit??

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Wow! that is truly a bizarre situation. The barrel appears as if were shot with corrosive ammo??? Just for the record, My Kahr K9 has flawless workmanship and functions perfectly. Other Kahr's I have seen are also first rate. At least they are taking care of it, which shows concern for their customers.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    No comment on the Kahr, but here's a MadMac "ProTip" on how to deal with customer service for ANY company:

Don't kick off the discussion by telling them how you want them to resolve the problem (telling them to "send me a new barrel"). This puts the other person on the defensive, and limits what they may do for you. DO NOT fire the pistol. You have noticed a flaw. If you fire it, that gives them wiggle room to claim it's your fault somehow.

Simply tell them what's wrong and send one of those very helpful pictures. Also, tell them how much you respect the company and how much you had looked forward to this purchase. Don't be weepy, or angry or say you're "disappointed". Don't lecture them about your Sigs and H&Ks. Believe me, they already know about the competition. In fact, it might be better for you to say you're a "new" pistol owner. They want to make and keep loyal customers.

Start the give-and-take by asking them how they can help you and what they recommend. Let them make an offer before you start making demands. You may have already limited yourself. Perhaps they were already willing to send you a complete new firearm and throw in an extra magazine for your troubles. Now they just have to exchange the barrel, because you've already told them what you want them to do.

If they are jerks, then take it up a notch little at a time. If the customer service rep isn't helpful, get the name of a supervisor and speak politely with them. Someone in the company realizes their job hinges on good customer service, and it may not be the first person you talk with about this.

Your approach is poor negotiating.

Just my opnion and worth everything you paid for it.
    This is excellent, million dollar advice. I have dealt with lots of Customer Service folks, and in a sense I am one myself as an electronics service and repair tech.

This advice is absolutely perfect... let them come to you with what they want to do for you before making a demand. Don't tip your hand. They may be so appalled themselves they'll be willing to give you more to exceed your expectations. Give them a chance to do the right thing without demanding.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Kahr has recently recieved some barrels in which the chrome plating was done poorly and has chipped. Perhaps that is the case with your barrel. Kahr has replaced any bad barrels reported to them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder View Post
    Hey everyone, I've been soaking up info on this forum for a while but this is my first post. I greatly respect everyone's opinion here and look forward to seeing what others have to say about this problem.

That being said, yesterday I took delivery of a brand new Kahr CW9. The first thing I did when I got it home was field strip and clean it. As I was cleaning the barrel I noticed the rifling was pitted - severely in some areas and lightly in others. Needless to say I was and am very disappointed, and don't even want to fire my new pistol. I e-mailed Kahr to ask for a new barrel and am eagerly awaiting their response.

As a proud owner of Sig and HK pistols, I know what a barrel is supposed to look like, and this isn't it. I really hope this is not indicative of Kahr's overall quality and that this issue is quickly resolved. My question is has anyone had similar problems with Kahr barrels? Also, should I also call Kahr today to make sure they got my e-mail? Thanks in advance for the feedback guys...
    I will bet that gun is a real tack driver! LOL.... All kidding aside, I hope you get taken care of.

By the way, the gentleman who posted the sig issue on the slide got it dead on. That is why I love Sig, they take care of it quick and I am sure Khar will too.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Could it be the gun shop you bought it from switched barrels? That is just really strange for a "new" firearm to have a barrel that looks like this. I hope they get you a new one right away, nothing worse than a new gun you can't shoot.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I was thinking along similar lines as NCHornet. The primary range here is famous for selling guns as new even though they have been used extensively as rentals. With the incredibly lousy powder they use in the reloads, I could see something like that happening here. Glad that your issue is being resolved though.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    I was thinking along similar lines as NCHornet. The primary range here is famous for selling guns as new even though they have been used extensively as rentals. With the incredibly lousy powder they use in the reloads, I could see something like that happening here. Glad that your issue is being resolved though.
    This same thought definitely crossed my mind. The exterior of the barrel did in fact look brand new, however, as does the rest of the gun. Furthermore, the FFL I purchased the firearm from does not have a range. Anything is possible, but I'm more inclined to believe the barrel was bad from Kahr. I overnighted the barrel back so they have it already; I'll let you guys know how long it takes to get a new one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links