XD45 5" model & 1911 5" comparison.

This is a discussion on XD45 5" model & 1911 5" comparison. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those looking to get an XD45 ACP 5” Tactical model, here is my little report. I’m not going to go into all the features ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD45 5" model & 1911 5" comparison.

XD45 5" model & 1911 5" comparison.

For those looking to get an XD45 ACP 5” Tactical model, here is my little report. I’m not going to go into all the features of the Springfield Armory line of XD pistols. There is plenty of information & opinions out there on all the unique XD features. I’ll just focus on the XD45acp. I’ve only put 100 rounds through it so far and I have to say it’s one of the sweetest shooting 45s I’ve ever shot. When I get a chance to put some more rounds through her I’ll elaborate more on recoil, accuracy, reliability, etc.

All the hype generated about this pistol comes from the fact that it holds 14 rounds of 45 ACP, in a narrow ergonomic grip that even people with smallish hands can appreciate. For those big bore aficionados there seams to have been this ongoing search for the holy grail of combat pistols…A high capacity 45 with a grip size that fits a normal persons hand…i.e. lots of big bullets in a small grip. I think Glock has been working on this for many years. First with there Glock 21 (with it”s 2x4 like grip) and then, looking at the problem from a new direction, with the 45 GAP. Glock engineers decided to make the bullets smaller rather than try and stuff a lot of 45 ACP bullets in a small grip. I guess Springfield’s engineers didn’t want to give up on the 45 ACP and continued to work the problem until they made it all fit. I have small hands and the XD45 grip fits my hand well. I was impressed the first time I held it at the gun shop. I’ve taken a few photos of the XD45 5” Tactical next to a 1911 5” Kimber for comparison.

Over all the two appear to be about the same size. In the following photo, the muzzle of both pistols was aligned with the edge of my desk. Here are some of my observations. The OAL of the 1911 is a tad bit longer due to the protruding grip safety but the sight radius of the XD45 is a bit longer.

Here are a few photos showing a grip length and thickness comparison. Keep in mind that both pistols are resting on their sights, on a flat desk. The sight height of the 1911 Kimber might be a bit taller…say about 3/32” taller.

And the last photo gives you an idea of how thick both pistols are.

I compared the XD45 4” Service model with the 5” Tactical model at the gun shop. They are the same size other than the slide, barrel and spring/guide rod being 1” longer. I went with the 5” Tactical model because I wasn’t in the market for another concealed carry pistol. If you can conceal full size 1911 then you should be able to conceal the 5” model XD45 as well. The grip is thicker and a bit longer so the key would be to get a holster setup that would pull the pistol grip tight into your body. IWB carry would be less comfortable than the 1911 because the XD45 is thicker overall…and loaded with 14 45ACP bullets makes this thing heavy as well.

-------------Editing in second part----------------

Well I this weekend I put 400 more rounds through my XD45acp Tactical.

200 rounds of Win. White box 230grn
    50 rounds of Win. Ranger T’s 230grn
    50 rounds of Win. Ranger T’s 230grn +P
    50 rounds of Fed. Hydra Shocks 230grn
    50 rounds of Rem. UMC 230grn

I only had one failure to extract and it was with the Rem UMC ammo. At about the third round into the second mag of Rem, I got what sounded like a dud with almost no recoil. I dropped the mag, pulled the slide back and a very dirty expended shell casing came out of the chamber. I thought “OOh $hit, there is a slug stuck in the barrel”. Then I looked at my 7yrd target and didn’t see any wild bullet holes so I broke the pistol down and looked through the barrel. To my relief the barrel was clear. I’ve had other problems with Rem. UMC ammo in the past so I think that’s the last time I’ll be using that stuff again.

The trigger pull, when I got the pistol, was a bit gritty but now seams to be broken in and feels smoother. Accuracy, I thought, was very good. I did all of my shooting at 7 to15 yards and off hand. Here are two of my best 7 yard targets. The first one is 26 rounds, slow & aimed and the second one is 26 rounds, double taps, at a reduced size B-29 type target. Both targets were shot with the Win. Ranger ammo. This 5” barrel XD45, with it’s longer sight radius, made it easy to shoot a one hole group at 7yrds.

Recoil was very manageable and felt more controllable than my kimber 1911. As expected, recoil with the Win. Ranger +P ammo was a bit more stout. As luck would have it, some other guy at the range let me fondle and shoot his 4” XD45acp. The recoil was about the same and maybe a bit more stout than the 5”…but still very manageable for a 45. The grip on this pistol only feels a bit bigger than my XD40s grip and is longer by about ¼”. Here is a photo showing a comparison of the two grip lengths.

One last tid-bit of information about this pistol. The XD45acp should fit almost any holster made for the other XD40 & 9. When I was at the gun shop we tried the XD45acp 4” model in most of the holsters they had for the XD40/9 and it fit all of them. It fit the Fobus, Blade-Techs, Galcos and some other cheaper nylon holsters. I tried my 5” Tactical in my Mil Sparks VM-II made for the XD40 and it fit perfect….well other than the barrel sticking out an inch. I think I’m going to try and get a custom leather holster made, in a similar style to the Milt Sparks VM-II, which will cover the entire length of the slide.

My over all opinion is that the XD45acp 5” is one hell of a 45. I’ll save my opinion on how reliable it is after I put another 500 to 1000 rounds through it. If you are thinking of getting one for CCW then I’d get the 4” Service model. If you want a real BLASTER (Thoughts of Han-Solo for all the Star Wars nerds out there) then get the 5” Tactical. I didn’t come up with the Star Wars blaster analogy by the way. One of my LEO friends did.
    Last edited by MechE; April 24th, 2006 at 08:11 PM.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

2. Remove Ads

The pictures are very informative and helpful. Thank you.
    Ask not what your country can do for you....

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    It looks as though the 1911 is much thinner than the xd. Thanks for the pictures, the appeal is there but I think I will stick to a 1911. but there is still a voice saying 14, 14, 14. hmmmm
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor
    It looks as though the 1911 is much thinner than the xd. Thanks for the pictures, the appeal is there but I think I will stick to a 1911. but there is still a voice saying 14, 14, 14. hmmmm
    My problem exactly! I would really like to try the 4" XD-45 out. I carry a 1911 and really like, if not love it, but the 14 rounds of .45acp is very appealing! I bet a Max-Con V would conceal it good, they do my 1911.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    My problem exactly! I would really like to try the 4" XD-45 out. I carry a 1911 and really like, if not love it, but the 14 rounds of .45acp is very appealing! I bet a Max-Con V would conceal it good, they do my 1911.

Ti.
    +2 on the "My Problem exactly" Somthing happened to me the other day though...my tax return arrived. Burned a hole right in my pocket!
    I'm a 1911 fan myself. A Milt Sparks Versa Max II or Watch Six would hide it good as well...If you have the patience to wait for a custom holster to be made and the cash.
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Thanks for the informative post. I have the same Kimber that you have and I have been wanting the XD45 Tactical. If only someone would buy this 642 w/Crimson Trace from me I will buy the thing.

sounds like we are all in the same boat. I have a baby kimber i really like if not love also. with a max con v. I also have a 642CT, but I don't want to part with mine quite yet.
    I am wondering about the extra weight of the 14 rounds and the XD compared to the ultra carry II with plus one wilson mag. does anyone have a scale to weigh the XD45 compared to a 1911 both fully loaded? That would be a great help to me.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor
    sounds like we are all in the same boat. I have a baby kimber i really like if not love also. with a max con v. I also have a 642CT, but I don't want to part with mine quite yet.
    I am wondering about the extra weight of the 14 rounds and the XD compared to the ultra carry II with plus one wilson mag. does anyone have a scale to weigh the XD45 compared to a 1911 both fully loaded? That would be a great help to me.
    Using 230gr hardball ammo and a cheap postal scale.

XD45 5", empty mag: 32oz
    XD45 5", 14 rounds: 43oz

1911 Kimber, empty mag: 38oz
    1911 Kimber, 8 rounds: 46oz

I double checked the weights aganst what the manufacture has posted on their websites. The scale is right on for the empty mag weight. It looks like the 1911 with 8 rounds is about 3oz heavier than the XD45 is with 14. So for all intensive purposes they are about the same. 3oz isn't a big difference however it is interesting that a 45 with 8 rounds is heavier than one with 14. There's the benefit of making pistols out of polymer I guess.
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

WOW!! that is great...thank you very much. you are right 3oz's isn't much, but it is in the opposite corner in which I thought. So, in essence I can carry 6 more rounds and still be lighter. Now you really got my head spinning....I love my 1911...but 14...1911....14.....AGHHHH....
    I also have to figure in my beloved 1911 SA trigger....aaahhhh there...back loving my 1911....sa trigger is good....sa trigger is good.
    14....NO Single action trigger....will the voices ever stop?!
    ----DOC-----

What did you pay for it? and does it come in shorter style.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I paid $535 for it. It seams all the other XD models are less expensive right now in some gun shops. I think most of the hype and demand have somthing to do with the XD45acp being more expensive.

By "shorter style" I think you mean shorter barrel. The XD45acp comes in the 5" Tactical model and the 4" Service model. Springfield hasn't come out with a Sub-Compact 3" version yet.
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Awesome pictures....a seemingly fair comparison. 1911 has the obvious edge on thinner overall construction, however, the difference between the two is less than I had expected. Thank you for the info and damn you for reinforcing that little voice inside my head that says, ".....buy an XD .45...".
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member
    thanks for posting the pics of the comparison, I will have mine soon, I have already ordered a holster from K-man (K&D) for it and dont even have it yet! I do plan on carrying it, can't be much heavier or larger than my Sig P-220.
    RKBA

John

Quote Originally Posted by soonerjh
    thanks for posting the pics of the comparison, I will have mine soon, I have already ordered a holster from K-man (K&D) for it and dont even have it yet! I do plan on carrying it, can't be much heavier or larger than my Sig P-220.
    What size XD45 did you get? The 4" or 5" model? The 4" service model feels about the same size as a sig220. I just checked the weights online and the XD45 4" & Sig220, both unloaded, weigh about 30oz. So it would be safe to say the XD would be a few oz heavier with more bullets loaded.
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Sounds great, thanks for the info!
    I'm currently carrying a 5" Mil-Spec and have the 4" XD45 on layaway so, with your info, it seems the XD would have an even bigger weight advantage.

I don't really plan on switching to the XD as a primary but it may very well be my fishing and outdoors "beater." The polymer frame & melonite slide should handle any abuse from scratches and bad weather somewhat better than my park'ed 1911. I'm planning on an Alessi Fieldmaster (vert. shoulder rig) and hopefully a Def-Con for it.

It should be coming home within the next 6 weeks.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links