Defensive Carry banner

Which do you recommend?

3K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  dairycreek 
#1 ·
I'm looking for my first carry weapon. Right now I just have an XD-9 service. My front runners for a carry gun are a Bersa .380 concealed carry, a Taurus 709 slim, a Ruger LCP, an XD-9SC or a Keltec (long shot). Truth be told, I would really like to get the bersa, but the unavailability and price of .380 is holding me back. I'd also love to have another 9mm, but dont like the Taurus in my hand as much as the bersa, but that might be something a Hogue grip could fix. I guess the other reason I havent jumped on the Taurus is that Ive heard reliability is questionable. I think the LCR is a great gun, but not much to hold on to, and then again its a .380. It would make my day if Bersa made a 9mm concealed carry very similar to the .380. I emailed them and they said to check in Jan 2010.

Any other options I should explore? Will .380 make a comeback?

#5 ·
rent and shoot at a range, and you'll quickly know which one you really want.

#8 ·
Will .380 make a comeback?
I think .380 ammo will eventually be more readily available, but I don't expect it to be as cheap as 9mm, maybe ever.

Of all your choices, I would choose the XD-9 subcompact. Even if you didn't already own the XD-9 service, I would choose the XD-9sc. I chose one, and I am pleased with it. It is a little thicker than your other choices, but it is concealable.

Additional minor benefits of choosing the subcompact is that the manual of arms is identical to your XD-9 service. Your 16-round mags will also fit in the subcompact. Springfield does sell a spacer to slip on the 16-round mags so the grip of the subcompact is the same size as the service, but the spacers are not required for shooting with the full-size mags.

If you're looking for a smaller or thinner gun, then the XD-9sc may not work for you.

#9 ·
If you're near Broward County this is a great place to shoot. American Range & Gun Shop They rent Sigs, Berettas, Glocks and others for use on their indoor range. I live inMiami Dade and go there frequently with clients that take my CCW Permit Class. BTW, I never recommend any 380 as an EDC piece. Minimum size for self defense is 9mm, IMHO. According to Clint Smith of THUNDER RANCH, carrying a firearm for self defense is supposed to be "comforting" instead of "comfortable." When I'm staying close to home, I carry a S&W M642 in a pocket holster. Tonight my wife wanted to go to a local mall (very upscale) for dinner. I wore my H&K P30 in a CrossBreed Super Tuck Deluxe and carried a spare mag as always. Getting too close to the holidays to risk being caught in a Mumbai situation that is bound to happen. Look at what just happened in Texas! I think your XD 9 is perfect. In fact I'm about to buy an XD45 compact for my new EDC piece. It will virtually disappear in the CrossBreed rig.

#10 ·
Why not carry the XD9? Compacts are easier to carry but I don't believe they would perform as well in a tactical situation.

So I think the hassle of concealing the bigger gun would be well worth it if god forbid I ever get into a gun fight.

Too much is always better than not enough! :comeandgetsome:

#12 ·
I almost got a like new Glock 27 for dirt cheap, but a friend snagged it first. Personally Id think Id rather carry the XD SC if I go with one "that big".

Id consider the XD-40SC (vs the 9mm) if I do go that route.

I think there will be more single stack 40's and 45's coming out in the next few years, which would be cool. If I'm not mistaken, more and more states are adopting CCP laws.

#13 ·
I have the BT .380cc and the SA XD9sc... I prefer the XD9sc over the .380cc myself. The girlfriend feels the same.

The XD in all honestly isn't too much bigger... just thicker... but you get 14 rounds in the XD and 9 in the Bersa... Plus the 9mm should do more damage, and cheaper and easier to find. I've barely fired my Bersa since .380 is hard to find and expensive, but the recoil was about the same.

But the girlfriend and I both agreed the Bersa hurts your hand more than the XD. (XD doesn't hurt at all, while the Bersa gets to you after a few clips.)

Just my $.02

#14 ·
If you're considering the LCP, I'd recommend you look at the Sig 238.
A bit bigger, but fun to shoot and all metal. Small enough for a pocket (unlike some you have on your list).
Yes, .380 ammo is in short supply, but it is out there. I bought PMC bronze FMJ
at my gunshop for $30/50 to test my Sig, then stashed 4 boxes of Cor_Bon for S/D ammo. I'll try a box of that next time to the range. Meanwhile, I have a bunch backordered online. (And since they haven't charged me, I'll hold their feet to the fire.)

#16 ·
I have a Kahr CW9 and it is virtually the same size as the Bersa .380...The CW9 runs about $400, is a 7+1, 9mm and is a really sweet shooter...Bersa does currently make a 9mm, but it's a little bigger than the .380...I would pass on a new model Bersa 9mm, for a couple of years, so they can get the bugs worked out...

#17 ·
Beginning of next year, Bersa is coming out with a NEW 9MM and .40 S&W. Both are about the same size as the regular sized Thunder .380 not the CC model. From the pics I've seen, they're based on the PM9 and PM40 Kahr design. I'll most likely buy one, I like Bersa's though I'm not a polymer fan. I like a nice steel gun, that if all else fails can knock someone out if thrown at the head. :)

#21 ·
You can always carry the Xd service, but if your set on getting a more compact pistol, I'd concur with others on the XDsc, you'll be able share mags with the 4" (the full size only of course), and pearce grips makes an extension that makes using the smaller mag a three finger grip instead of two fingers.

#25 ·
I carry a XD9 service.. my vote is to stay w/ that. or get the xd9sc since the magazines from your 4" will fit

#27 ·
Your spending limit is limitting the quality of gun you can get IMO. You should at least consider the higher quality guns like SigSauer, H+K. You get what you pay for.

Try a Sig P229

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.