Can you talk me out of this 1911 Kimber? - Page 2

Can you talk me out of this 1911 Kimber?

This is a discussion on Can you talk me out of this 1911 Kimber? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'f I'm gonna buy a 1911 that I can hang a light on, its going to be one that works, and works, and works, with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you talk me out of this 1911 Kimber?

I'f I'm gonna buy a 1911 that I can hang a light on, its going to be one that works, and works, and works, with only a little oil now and then. If I cant put ~2k rounds through it between cleanings, and if it wont run despite having magazine and recoil springs that need replaced, then I'm not gonna bother. The 5" Kimbers I own meet these requirements. The 4" Kimber does not.

Dont get me wrong, its a great CC peice, but if the SHTF, I'm grabbing one or all of my 5" guns, the main reason being the spring lasts a hell of a lot longer. And when its wore out, its easy to change.

Compact handguns with light rails always baffled me. Get the compact for concealability, but hang a light on it to ruin it? With the Surefire X200 on that gun, its just about as long as a 5", so why not go with the full-size model? If you want a compact, why get one with a rail?

If I were in you shoes, I'd get the full-size TLE/RL (if I wanted one with a rail) and carry the Colt. Or, I'd get the 4" Kimber without a rail for carry and hang a light on my Colt.

My $.02. Sorry if I sound like a jerk.

Here is the place where you can talk 1911 Guys.
    http://1911forum.com/ They even have a Kimber forum.

Wow!

Thanks for all the information you've all given me so far! You folks really are top shelf!

I think my taunt has worked... you've talked me out of that particular Kimber. I didn't think about the problems associated with the rail.

So... now I'm looking at getting the Kimber Pro Carry HD II. It seems to have most of the features I still want, all the while without the rail.

I'd again love to hear all of your feedback and comments on this choice for concealed carry. (I wish it had the night sights on it, though.)

-Jeff

P.S. You can see (and read about) it here:
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...procarryhd.php

I usually try to discourage single-action 1911 model pistols as a person's first carry weapon unless they already have a decent amount of experience with it.
    Some people have a hard time getting over the fact that they're designed to be carried cocked & locked, and others just aren't comfortable enough carryinga weapon to confidently carry a 1911 the way it's supposed to be carried. And if you're going to carry it condition 3 or 2, then what's the point.

That being said - that's a mighty nice Kimber. Any particular reason you've settled on Kimber?

I have a Kimber TLE/REL and it's great. It is also my EDC. It has a ext. estractor and I have yet to have a problem. I have also put over 1,800. rounds through it with out a problem. Again the real question is whats best for you.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pickpocket
    I usually try to discourage single-action 1911 model pistols as a person's first carry weapon unless they already have a decent amount of experience with it.
    Some people have a hard time getting over the fact that they're designed to be carried cocked & locked, and others just aren't comfortable enough carryinga weapon to confidently carry a 1911 the way it's supposed to be carried. And if you're going to carry it condition 3 or 2, then what's the point.

That being said - that's a mighty nice Kimber. Any particular reason you've settled on Kimber?
    Thanks for your comments, Pickpocket.

I fully intend on carrying the 1911 in Condition 1. I have enough experience and confidence in the 1911 in Condition 1 that it will not be a concern to be cocked and locked.

I have no overwhelming reason to get Kimber... I have just found them to be a good value when the price/features are put together. Also, the reviews on the various Kimber models from others have ranked them highly as well.

I've actually got it down to two models at this point. One is the Pro Carry HD II (link is in my prior post) and the Stainless Pro Carry II/Night Sights:
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...ssprocarry.php

Any and all feedback and comments are appreciated! Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links