glock guns {kaboom}

This is a discussion on glock guns {kaboom} within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never had any problems with the glocks. Great pistols....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: glock guns {kaboom}

Never had any problems with the glocks. Great pistols.

2. Remove Ads

I've run over 600 rounds through my Glock 23 w/out a hiccup. You'll be fine as long as you use the appropriate ammo and take proper care of it. It's my EDC, so you know i trust it. Wouldn't carry it if i didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    I'd sure love to know what anti-Glock numbskull keeps circulating this stuff. It's almost as bad as the constantly circulating Blair Holt Ammo Accountability Act (that was DOA, so remember that!).
    Here you go, your prayers have been answered, here's the link with pictures, maybe you can email the police department "numbskull" and tell them to stop "circulating this stuff."

Haven Police Ditch Glocks After Two Explode | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL
    Last edited by 4thHorseman; November 11th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.

A page late with that video. I already did it! (added the propensity to ND just for emphasis too!)

homeBoy....
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    A page late with that video. I already did it! (added the propensity to ND just for emphasis too!)

For those who've NOT seen the clip...PLEASE do so now.....It IS and "eye-opener", to say the least....!
    Gotta love the reaction of several members of the audience....
    "Ummm....errr....Thank you, Officer, for that....ummm....very....err...enlightening presentation...."
    ("Come on, kids.......Let's go home and I'll show you REAL firearms safety....")
    Mind you......I'm NOT in any way, shape, form or fashion "slamming" LEOs in general.....in fact, I'm 110% in favor of having local police/sheriff travel to schools/civic groups, etc. and spread the word about firearms SAFETY.....BUT....IMO, THIS particular officer was TOTALLY NEGLIGENT!!! That weapon should have been cleared BEFORE he set foot in the classroom!! NO EXCEPTIONS! NO EXCUSES! That errant round could just as easily have found its way into the head/spine of a spectator as the foot of the officer.....
    End of the day.....Not the best way for a LEO to maintain his/her image as "Officer Friendly"......
    (ends rant....dismounts soapbox......)

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post

Wow! I just saw that. I can't freakin believe that.. It's amazing that one of those kids didn't get hurt or killed... That guy had a complete loss of concentration and respect for the firearm when he released the slide. Completely his fault though, the gun did what it was supposed to do.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by das38spl View Post
    For those who've NOT seen the clip...PLEASE do so now.....It IS and "eye-opener", to say the least....!
    Gotta love the reaction of several members of the audience....
    "Ummm....errr....Thank you, Officer, for that....ummm....very....err...enlightening presentation...."
    ("Come on, kids.......Let's go home and I'll show you REAL firearms safety....")
    Mind you......I'm NOT in any way, shape, form or fashion "slamming" LEOs in general.....in fact, I'm 110% in favor of having local police/sheriff travel to schools/civic groups, etc. and spread the word about firearms SAFETY.....BUT....IMO, THIS particular officer was TOTALLY NEGLIGENT!!! That weapon should have been cleared BEFORE he set foot in the classroom!! NO EXCEPTIONS! NO EXCUSES! That errant round could just as easily have found its way into the head/spine of a spectator as the foot of the officer.....
    End of the day.....Not the best way for a LEO to maintain his/her image as "Officer Friendly"......
    (ends rant....dismounts soapbox......)

Can you post a link, maybe?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've got a Glock 30 and love it. I intend to shoot reloads (yes, lead) but am waiting for a Storm Lake barrel for Xmas before pumping lead. I'm not worried about shooting reloads as I'm loading low-power loads (H-38 w/200grn swc)for paper punching. For defensive purposes I'll use factory loads (Gold Dot SB 230grn).

There is no one reason for handgun Kabooms. Lead bullets, reloads, bad factory loads, they're all a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum36 View Post
    About two years ago I had a G36 that exploded.
    At the time, I had put over 8000 rounds through it.
    I was shooting FACTORY Loads....Hornady .45 ACP 230g +P rounds
    when the pistol kaboomed.

Imagine placing both hands spread out on pavement and someone hits them as hard as they can with a baseball bat. Thats what it felt like!

The range owner contacted both Glock and Hornady. Glock requested that he send what was left of G36 to Hornady first.

Hornady acknowledged that the ammo was overcharged, and paid the price for a new pistol.

I think I may have contributed some to the KB. I used to practice with Hornady +P defensive loads, and had fired over 4000 +P rounds prior to KB. It may have weakened the firing chamber some.

Guess what I bought with the money? A new Glock 36!
    Now, I practice with normal factory loads. (I sometimes carry +P loads for defense only).

Here is a pic of G36 that KB'd:

Notice in picture that the firearm is "jammed" in battery position. Also note the "split" in the firing chamber. (The chamber literally split open from blast).

Is it any wonder it was damaged? Owners manual clearly states not to shoot +P or reloads...voids warranty.

Not to add insult to injury, but...duh. Thankfully (and most important) is that you were not hurt...glad at least one of the two companies took care of your issue. Applaud them for that as well as you for picking up another Glock!

Quote Originally Posted by glockstock View Post
    Though I'm kinda sure the OP's gone--

Last year roughly around August, shooting WOLF (never buy and shoot this ammo in your pistol) ammo through my G23 (.40) I experienced a kaboom!

I was fine, but we couldn't find the top of the barrel anywhere and the gun was out of commission.

But, Glock and Wolf got together and got me a new G23, so all's well that ends well. I fault the craptastic ammo I was shooting out of it and I'm sticking to WWB or other USA factory ammo from here on out!

Not quite as bad as the story I'd been told about Wolf ammo issue at Shooters in Columbus, Ga., but it's close!

Quote Originally Posted by 4thHorseman View Post
    Here you go, your prayers have been answered, here's the link with pictures, maybe you can email the police department "numbskull" and tell them to stop "circulating this stuff."

Haven Police Ditch Glocks After Two Explode | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

See, it's clearly folks using crappy ammo or mistreating them. Again illustrating it's likely not the pistol...putting bad, el-cheapo (contract or internet) ammo in, or +P loads is not a good thing to do.

2.5 year old guns, unstated number of rounds through them, unstated load data, unstated ammo source, combat-unproven .45GAP platform, likely bad maintence as well.

I have no problems using cheap Blazer/Monarch/Wolf/ect (you get the picture) through my G17 or G21. I have put over 1200 rounds through each of them, and have never experienced anything strange.

I have also used quite a bit of reloaded brass through them as well. I usually reload for .45 ACP (G21), with 2 or 3 grains of Red DOT (can't remember the charge offhand) underneath a 230gr FMJ bullet with a standard Winchester primer. I have heard to NEVER use cast bullets through the Glock due to its polygonal rifling and tendencies to foul up, so I just don't risk cast loads. Other than that, the Glock is a reliable, safe, and accurate pistol.

Love Glocks. only had one mishap. It was a hot factory round. I quit using that brand of ammo due to this happening before. I checked the gun out and found no damage but sure did feel it in my hands.I thought the gun was damaged for sure.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links