M&P 40C with safety

This is a discussion on M&P 40C with safety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be buying the 40 compact. I know most of you prefer not to have a manual safety. I think there may be times ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P 40C with safety

M&P 40C with safety

I will be buying the 40 compact. I know most of you prefer not to have a manual safety. I think there may be times for me personally that I would feel more comfortable having one being I have never carried a semi without one. Do you see any disadvantage to buying th M&P 40C with the safety and then in the future if I choose to just not use it?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    I will be buying the 40 compact. I know most of you prefer not to have a manual safety. I think there may be times for me personally that I would feel more comfortable having one being I have never carried a semi without one. Do you see any disadvantage to buying th M&P 40C with the safety and then in the future if I choose to just not use it?

Thanks
    Hi,

I personaly can't stand a manual safety, but some of the 1911 guys might differ then I. It just comes down to not having to mess around with it getting in the way when you need you gun.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If you buy a gun with a safety then practice using the gun by disengaging the safety everytime you draw,worst case scenario is you carry with safety off and during the day the safety gets bumped on,you run into BG pull gun and try to squeeze trigger,but no bang,in the mean time you become a lead magnet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just have this tremendous fear of re-holstering the gun and having part of the holster or something get hung up on the trigger and bang, trip to hospital. Or, carrying is IWB around 4 or 5 O'clock riding in the car and something rubbing against it and same end result.

Ron
    Snicking off the safety must become part of your muscle memory. In times of stress, you can't be thinking about it, but it must be automatic.

That is why if you have different guns which you carry at different times, depending, for example, upon time of year, what you are wearing, etc., IMO they should all have a manual safety or none should, because you can't have to think about which gun you are carrying at a moment of crisis.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

With my 1911's, the removal of the manual safety was something that happened when the gun left the holster...without thinking about it.
    I was switching back and forth between a Kimber and a Glock (no manual safety)...that wasn't a problem.

However, I recently decided to stick with the Glock and eliminate the manual safety altogether...the 'finger' is the ultimate safety anyway. Now there is only a finger between a BG and my self-defense...only you can decide what works for you.
    Do you really think that a manual safety makes things any safer? If so, than you have answered your own question as to 'the need'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I just have this tremendous fear of re-holstering the gun and having part of the holster or something get hung up on the trigger and bang, trip to hospital.
    First, you should not need to re-holster your gun very often. This can be easily solved by using your fear to make you extra vigilant... to make sure there is nothing to catch on the trigger when you are re-holstering. Then practice, practice, practice re-holstering with your gun unloaded, until you feel comfortable. These types of accidents happen because of complacency and carelessness.

Or, carrying is IWB around 4 or 5 O'clock riding in the car and something rubbing against it and same end result.
    If you are carrying in a quality holster, the trigger will be covered and nothing can get to it. If you are carrying without a holster, you deserve a trip to the hospital...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Either train for getting the safety off automatically when your life is on the line.
    Or train to keep your finger off the trigger when not wanting to fire your weapon.

I carry the M&P40c and it wonít fire unless you pull the trigger like most modern firearms. (Glocks and XDs etc.) I almost got the safety version and Iím glad I didnít.

I guess get a safety if you canít practice draw your weapon without touching trigger.

What I am saying is:

If it gives me piece of mind initially to have a safety is there any disadvantage to having a safety on the gun and then get comfortable to not using it? I don't know, maybe it is crazy and I am thinking to much here????

What I am saying is:

If it gives me piece of mind initially to have a safety is there any disadvantage to having a safety on the gun and then get comfortable to not using it? I don't know, maybe it is crazy and I am thinking to much here????
    In the scenario described above, here are potential disadvantages:

1) The safety could be moved from off to the on position without you knowing it. I had a M&P45, and while I liked having the safety I would have preferred it to be a little more positive when moving it from one position to the other. Though if you always shoot by covering the safety, it shouldn't be an issue.

2) The safety could fail, though I'd think this is highly remote.

Nothing wrong with wanting a safety at all, as long as you train with it.

My EDC is the 40c with no safety, one less thing to think about.

Only time I use a safety is while hunting, not worried about the game shooting back.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I used to always want a safety because I was mistakenly confusing "more safeties on the gun" with a "safer gun". The answer is in practise and having good, solid "dont put your finger on the trigger" and "always assume any gun is loaded" skills. I am completely comfortable with my Glocks and Kahr, and LCP and S&W revolvers...and they all have the same safety, my finger. So, if you really practise good safe handling skills, the safety can become a non-issue.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I think if you buy it, at some time your probably going to realize it wasn't needed and regret it. One suggestion...buy with out the safety and don't chamber a round. Then after you realize I really didn't need the safety, start chambering a round.

Wasn't really my finger I was worried about. It was more the unforseen I don't know what.

Then I realized that the S&W 60 I have for the last 25 years or so has no safety and I have been carrying it in an ankle holster that doesn't cover the trigger.

On the M&P it is an added layer for those that are just a litte unsure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links