Defensive Carry banner

Custom Carry Kahr

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  TonySoprano 
#1 · (Edited)
As most know I have been using a steel E9 as my everyday gun well after many rounds out of it I decided to make it a keeper instead of just a daily tool.
First off I had a dovetail cut into the front of the slide to use the standard front sight from a Kahr K9.
I then changed the sights to the SX Big Dots sights.
Then added smooth wood grips.
Then changed the trigger from the NYPD trigger to the Elite trigger.
Also added a Harrts Recoil Reducer.
Last was to change the Mag springs to the extra power springs from Wolffe and recoil spring to 23 lb instead of the 20lb factory spring.
All that is left is to refinsh the entire gun, but I just added up how much this all cost and was pretty surprised.
Springs $30.00
Grips $48.00
Harrts $55.00(bought on Ebay)
Trigger $30.00
XS sights $127.00(shipped)
Cut dovetail$65.00
Total Cost $355.00

Before I did all this I shot decent groups and a fairly good speed usally 275 to 280 scores and today I shot a 300 perfect score, and not believing that that the mods had improved my shooting that much I did the course again and shot another 300 score and the times were noticable faster. Several local and state LEOs were very surprised and asked to try the E9 and were very impressed.Before the day was done my Kahr had fired almost 1,800 rounds and not any malfuntions. Now I got a few asking me if they get a Kahr can I do theirs like I did mine.
I have mainly used revolvers with the exception of a Delta Elite and a 1911,and Sig 228. But my constant always on me gun was a S&W Model 60 for almost 20 years. This little Kahr is the first pistol I felt was as reliable and my Model 60.

See less See more
#4 ·
WJP9 said:
Nice work. Curious to see a pic (even though you still have refinish work to do). How did you like the transition to the new sights?
Thanks, as far as the XS sights. Once I sighted it in and saw my point of aim it was not a hard transition as I thought it would be.Took me about 24 rounds and that was it, and once I got use to them the speed increase just came along. I tryed several different sights and that dang big dot jumps out at you. Plus as I get older I know my eyes are getting older too and I noticed that for combat shooting.
Also I will have some pics posted tomorrow when I can steal the wifes digital.

#6 ·
QKShooter said:
Sounds Nice...
I was going to ask you where you found a Haarts Recoil Reducer since they are as Rare as Hens Teeth these days.
I spotted them on Ebay. It seems that Harrts went out of business and the guy selling them seems to have alot of them but only puts a few in everyweek. If you want his user id send me a pm and I'll send it too you.

#7 ·
TonySoprano - I'm not at all surprised w/ your performance; what you described in essence is "A fair bit of practice..!" I have had an Kahr K9 Elite '03, for quite some. This, after having gone through (3) "Plastic" versions, + a MK9 before actually getting one (all factory swap outs...) that performed as expected. Now that I have it, I probably wouldn't get rid of mine either although I sometimes have "Internal problems over the weight..!" I am more the "Pocket Carry sort" these days...

Glad to hear you're likin' it so much...

#8 ·
Sounds like a nice little Kahr you have there. I'd be very interested in seeing the pics of it also. :banana:

#15 ·
TonySoprano said:
Thanks will download it and post pics tonight. Also I like the grips you made. I'm not to good with wood work so I bought my grips from Kahr.
Thanks for the compliment on the grips; it was one of those "Far too many free moments I had once; hasn't happened since.
Have a good one... :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.