Kimber Ultra Carry II

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra Carry II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade from my Taurus to a Kimber Ultra Carry II in standard finish. I'm looking for some info on these ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Ultra Carry II

Kimber Ultra Carry II

Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade from my Taurus to a Kimber Ultra Carry II in standard finish. I'm looking for some info on these guns before I make the plunge. I have to save up for a month or two before I can buy it, but after holding one and shooting it, I definitely want one.

First, what's the running price on these? I've seen $888 suggested on Kimber's website for the standard base model, but I don't know what a competitive price would be.

Second, I've heard of feed issues with JHPs in Kimber pistols, is this true with the Ultra Carry II?

Third, is this a good overall pistol for carry and fun? I love the way it feels and shoots, and I want it to last a long time, as it is a big investment for me.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

you may have to get used to carrying cocked and locked with this pistol. Kimbers are nice but It takes a little getting used to. The local gun shop here has them for $800

I have a Ultra Carry Crimson Trace II. Yes, it is a good pistol for carry and fun. I use mine as a EDC, and I use it for fun. I also love the way it feels and shoots, it aims itself...very little work to line up the sights for me....just very natural shooting.

No problem feeding ball and avg. JHP like WWB JHP's. It had a hard time feeding aggresive JHP like HST rounds. This was in the first hundred rounds or so that the gun ever fired. I polished feed ramp, and now has smoothly chambered/cycled everything I've put through it. Now past a thousand rounds and just as silky smooth. To me, a very easy gun to shoot.

Sporting Wilson mags for carry.

The gun is really accurate for a short barrel and has held up very well.

I trust my life on it.

Kimber Ultra CDP II w/ Wilson 47OX magazines, loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr JHPs. My EDC. Totally reliable, accurate, and effective.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Mine is the Kimber Ultra Ten II, it has a 10 rd magazine, and an aluminum/plastic frame. Hollowpoints are forbidden, as they eat the aluminum ramp. However I carry mine in my front pocket w/ a pocket holster and I use Cor-bon Powerball, Glaser and FMJ just fine.
    You will hafta get used to Cocked & Locked, but so what, it's the only way to carry any 1911 type gun . If you really want to save some money, go online & buy out of state, have it tranferred in to your favorite dealer& save the sales tax!

I had a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I couldn't get that thing to feed reliably for anything; even with FMJ ammo. Didn't seem to matter what I did with it, it just wouldn't get to a reliable point that I'd actually carry it. Very frustrating experience, ended up getting rid of the thing. I'm a 1911 guy. Own many and carry one most days. But I just couldn't make that one run. Other guys have fantastic luck with them and swear by 'em. I really like the feel, size and weight of those Ultra sized Kimbers. But that experience scared me off from anything shorter than a commander-sized 1911.

VIP Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, no problems what so ever. Feeding problems are usually corrected by upgrading to Wilson mags...The standard factory mags aren't the best... Great carry guns...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

No issues with my Kimber Pro Carry II. Have run all kinds of ammo thru it without any trouble.
    You might check prices at your local gun show. Might save a little.
    Good for carry and fun.... oh yeah.
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

Sweet, thanks for the replies. Is it worth getting the crimson trace grips stock or just waiting and upgrading?

I have two Kimbers, both CDP's, love 'em...fine guns.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by sddykstr View Post
    Sweet, thanks for the replies. Is it worth getting the crimson trace grips stock or just waiting and upgrading?
    Mine was a gift from the wife.....If I was to personally get one, I would pass on the grips, and just have good sights.

Good call. I've seen the Ultra Carry or Pro Carry go for around 750-850 online, so if my local guy can't match that, I'll probably order online and have it shipped to him.

Do you guys have a preference between the ultra carry and the pro carry models? The ultra is smaller, but seeing as this will be a .45, I don't want to go too small and sacrafice the shootability (word?).

Last, my Taurus 24/7 has been a good first gun, but as I get closer to buying the Kimber, I'm thinking about getting a couple hundred bucks for it at the shop I will buy the Kimber from. Once I get the nice gun, I guarantee I'll never really use the Taurus, but I'd like some of your input on trading it.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really do appreciate it!

Two different gunsmiths told me to get a Kimber. They worked on them all so the advice was appreciated. I have two of the older (series I) guns and love them.

__________________________________________________ _________
    They all go down to the 380+P++

I EDC a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 w/CTC laser grips & night sights.

It had a few FTF's at first (which turned out to be the slide stop, a modified one FREE from Kimber solved it). It also did not like Wilson mag's for some reason but the KimPro mag's are flawless in it.
    I now have 800 rounds through it & could not be happier, it is extremely accurate for a 3 inch & very easy to shoot. The last few hundred rounds have been perfect, i trust it
    I paid $1149+Tax for mine set up the way it is (small pic in my avatar)
    I will tell you i liked it so much i bought a 5 inch Kimber Eclipse Target 2 and that baby did not disappoint either (also in avatar) Kimber's are great i'd say go for it & the folk's @ Kimber are real helpful & they carry a lifetime warranty to boot
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Yeah, I think for my wallet's sake I may just go without the crimson trace grips and night sights for now. I'll probably go with night sights at a later date, but I want to get the gun first :). Sweet guns btw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links