Compromise between Cannon Carriers and Mouse Gunners:

This is a discussion on Compromise between Cannon Carriers and Mouse Gunners: within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; .380 Walther or a .38 Smith. The gun you carry is better than the one you left at home. I love how easy the Walther ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compromise between Cannon Carriers and Mouse Gunners:

.380 Walther or a .38 Smith. The gun you carry is better than the one you left at home. I love how easy the Walther slips into the waist holster and is just an easy gun to shoot. I don't have a big enough frame to carry my .45 Kimber and playing the violin in a tux with it under my armpit would be damn difficult. The Walther is a better fit in the Jackass rig.

Jim

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    .380 Walther or a .38 Smith. The gun you carry is better than the one you left at home. I love how easy the Walther slips into the waist holster and is just an easy gun to shoot. I don't have a big enough frame to carry my .45 Kimber and playing the violin in a tux with it under my armpit would be damn difficult. The Walther is a better fit in the Jackass rig.

Jim
    Carrying a walther....wearing a tux...and your name is Jim... Do you by any chance drive a Aston Martin?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

It's not what you carry, it's how you shoot it.

My "little" .44 Bulldog does a great job as a primary carry revolver, but my Bersa .380 works well as a "take out the trash" pistol.

If a .380 hits but the .45 misses, I'll take the .380 every time. The only important thing is hitting the target whyen you have to - whether big caliber or small, if you hit you most likely win.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Caliber wars are just plain stupid. Carry what fits the situation and know how to use it. There is a reason why "mouse guns" have become so popular. A properly placed .380 will do the job, though it will probably take more than one or two.

My wife has taken a shine to an LCP. I will have know problem knowing she has it available.

The real world facts are BG's do not always go down with one shot no matter how big a bullet you use. Some will drop when hit with a .22. Problem his you will never know which BG you are up against until the time arrives. Just make sure you know how to use what you are carrying.

Unfortuantely too many Internet ballistic experts get their ballistic info from Hollywood and TV special effects studios.
    NRA Life Member

I like the best of both worlds. I either carry a 9mm and a .380 BUG, or as of now a .45 and a .380. I even have other options as well. Either way the most important factor in the equation is, I'm armed.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

This "other forum" that people speak of...is it the one where everybody posts pictures of their CCW licenses in their signatures?

On topic, I own neither a cannon or a mouse gun, but probably will one day. Bickering about calibers is pointless and a waste of time, IMO.

VIP Member
    I agree, it all depends on what your doing, and what you shoot well. I carry a .38 spcl most of the summer because of climate and wardrobe, and if needed, will carry my pocket gun, a Tomcat in .32ACP, but for the winter, its a .40sw(use to be a XDsc, as of last week its a SIG P239). And when I travel I take at least two, usually my SIG P226 and either my Colt Det. Spcl or my S&W mod 60.

C
    "Cannons" can be a lot of fun. I enjoy firing a 45 long colt from a Uberti New Army. Quite a pistol. But I prefer my Glock 19 for every day. It won't do the job of a 1911, but accuracy and low recoil can't be beat.

As long as you carry, carry what you can...I switch between a 380 and a 9 often and sometimes high cap and sometimes low.....
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    My "little" .44 Bulldog does a great job as a primary carry revolver, but my Bersa .380 works well as a "take out the trash" pistol.
    I have been looking into getting a 44 bulldog, and was wondering how is it to carry, and is how do you handle spare ammo, and is yours DA only are stilll have hammer spur?

Sorry for all the questions, but the Bulldog is on my mind.

VIP Member
    I haven't tried a caliber I didn't like and I doubt I ever will ...I enjoy shooting and carrying all different kinds of guns and calibers...I carry a 1911, sometimes a .38+P, many times a 9mm single stack or double, a .380 too, don't currently have a .40S&W...It depends what I'm wearing, where I'm going, what I'm doing and how I feel...

Every gun and caliber has it's place and time....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I located the "other forum" before finding this blessed site, and the idea that carrying anything less than 9mm is negligent is ludriciuos. Real world situations sometimes require us to make decisions as to what we can carry. I would love to carry my .40S&W all day but that just isnt feasible. Between all the hugs, back slaps and general movement required at work I would get made and THAT is unacceptable.

My LCP in my rear pocket will never land me in the unemployment line and will maintain my safety. Anything is plenty.....annn is better than nannn

I once stood next to a guy in a parking lot that was shot and killed with a .22.

There is no such thing as a "too small" caliber. I now carry my Kimber UC .45 because it is light and small, but before that I carried either a Colt Commanding Officer .45 or a Beretta Tomcat .32 depending on the situation. It's freakin hot here in South Texas. I am astonished at the amount of people who (apparently) carry full size auto's and revolvers here in the summer time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links