Compromise between Cannon Carriers and Mouse Gunners:

This is a discussion on Compromise between Cannon Carriers and Mouse Gunners: within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quote Leon Harrison: "No gun can go blamo unless you got the ammo." Thus, my fellow and female gun lovers, I have most major handgun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compromise between Cannon Carriers and Mouse Gunners:

Compromise between Cannon Carriers and Mouse Gunners:

Quote Leon Harrison: "No gun can go blamo unless you got the ammo." Thus, my fellow and female gun lovers, I have most major handgun calibers covered, between .22 and .45 calibers. I recently bought my very first .40 caliber [S&W Sigma] pistol because it is the standard police round used by my local police force, of course. I quit another Concealed Carry forum because the fanatic cannon carriers in charge deleted every "mouse gun" post and they loved calibers large. I have been considering this: It depends on your needs and scenarios, like ya know, depending on the weather and your clothes, the territory and the distances, i.e., country vs. city gun fighting, defending the homestead inside or out, or preventing a carjacking attack at close range. There, we don't have to fight! Like reenacting, it's a hobby, not a cult or a religion. I keep a shotgun and an old 1911 Colt .45 inside my bedroom, loaded and ready to go, but a .380 LCP here beside me in my living room, and a .32 H&R six-shooter inside my car-door pouch. I have other guns for defense and for fun.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Quote Leon Harrison: "No gun can go blamo unless you got the ammo." Thus, my fellow and female gun lovers, I have most major handgun calibers covered, between .22 and .45 calibers. I recently bought my very first .40 caliber [S&W Sigma] pistol because it is the standard police round used by my local police force, of course. I quit another Concealed Carry forum because the fanatic cannon carriers in charge deleted every "mouse gun" post and they loved calibers large. I have been considering this: It depends on your needs and scenarios, like ya know, depending on the weather and your clothes, the territory and the distances, i.e., country vs. city gun fighting, defending the homestead inside or out, or preventing a carjacking attack at close range. There, we don't have to fight! Like reenacting, it's a hobby, not a cult or a religion. I keep a shotgun and an old 1911 Colt .45 inside my bedroom, loaded and ready to go, but a .380 LCP here beside me in my living room, and a .32 H&R six-shooter inside my car-door pouch. I have other guns for defense and for fun.
    I left that "other forum" as well. Bad attitudes there. I believe everyone who responsibly carries firearms (legally), will settle in to what WORKS FOR THEM. A .45 may work for you, but I can't comfortably conceal one most of the time due to clothing restrictions. This does not make me a moron, a wuss, or undergunned. I was competant, fast, and accurate with my PPK in .380. I recently bought a new Walther PPS in 9mm, but not because I felt the PPK was inadequate, but I wanted a new gun.
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Glad I'm not part of that "other forum". I agree with different calibers doing different jobs.

Different strokes for different folks!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    While I am a big fan of the venerable 1911 I see nothing wrong of any of the other calibers or firearms as can be proved with just one look into my safe. There are purists who always think one weapon or caliber is the best and all others are to be ignored, thankfully they are rare here.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I routinely change guns for situations. Just last night I came in from a long tiresome travelling period of onearly a weekcriss crossing my lovely state and unfortunately spening a lot of it in training for my work. I was very tired. I came in and unholstered my trusty G23 attached the Surefire x200 and laid it on my night stand. I then dropped my Smith M&P 340 in to the pcket of my lounge pants with a Desantis Nemesis. My lovely fiancee decided to go back out to WW. I simply slipped back on my jeans, and shoes ans dropped the revo back in my front right pocket, with an extra speed strip of GDHP Short Barrel 135 gr in my weak side front pocket. I felt completely well protected. All because I didnt feel like taking the extra time and effort to strap on the Glcok and extra mag.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

LCP sometimes, a Kahr PM9 others a Glock 26 others and am getting ready to carry my Glock 30 in 45ACP for when iwant to do that AND I never feel unarmed in any of the choices I make.....and welcome!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I love my cannons, but sometimes it comes down to something or nothing. I am in the convention business, which is dominated by liberals. Today, I took a group of clients to a potential team building opportunity for their company. It involved doing cosmetic enhancements on a public housing development in Liberty City (I swear I am not making this up) I had to approach a group of six or so "locals" sitting on a stoop to enquire after the lady I was supposed to meet. It was 1:00 pm, and each had a "40" of malt liquor. Suffice to say, it was awkward. As I spoke with them, I had my hand in my pocket holding my Seecamp .32, the only gun I have that is concealable in business garb. They were perfect gentlemen, and all went well. But that .32 was the only reason I would approach the group with any semblance of confidence. Anything is better then a rock.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

The most important thing is to have a gun, any caliber. If it is a mouse gun just expect to fire more ammo.

The best weapon is the one you have with you when the stuff hits the fan.

The round that you choose to live with is up to you. Why should you care why others don't think it is a good round. There are several rounds that I don't like. Some for really dumb reasons like "they took my 45ACP" and gave me this. In reality it was because they took my 1911, not the round. I still don't like the other round (that I won't mention), but it is totally unjustified.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I change calibers depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing. Would like to add different calibers to what I carry and am saving up for same.

I will agree, with one caveat...

Shot placement is king, and penetration is queen. Since .380 penetration is borderline with JHPs, I load my wife's LCP with alternating FMJ-FP and Critical Defense. Below .380, I would only use FMJ.

If you carry a small .32, load it up with FMJ, place your shots well, and go with confidence.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have several handguns and multiple calibers. I would love to always be able to carry my S40 but sometimes it just isn't feasible. I usually carry my P-64 with 7 rounds of Pow R' Ball or Hornady XTP. I can easily stash the P64 in any attire and feel confident that it will work 100% of the time when I pull the trigger. Today I wore jeans and a fleece pullover to work. I wore my Makarov PM in a simple Fobus MAK1 all day and forgot all about it.

The Pow'R Ball in 9x18 packs a decent punch at 1250FPS & 242 FTLBS at the muzzle.

I EDC an M&P 9c, but when I get home, I drop a J frame in my pocket, or set it on the end table. If I have to go out again, I'll take either.

I love all calibers. Unfortuanetly I down own one of everything but I think that every round has it's place. Personally, I carry a 9mm. It's what I am comfortable with. I however have a full size 1911 on my night stand. Out of every gun I have ever shot I shoot the full size 1911the best but for carry I'm just not comfortable with it. To big and bulky for me to conceal and I don't like compact 45's as I don't shoot them well. It all comes down to what the shooter is comfortable with.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links