Local gun shop patronage

Local gun shop patronage

This is a discussion on Local gun shop patronage within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious...I'm sure most of you visit multiple shops when looking for something new, to take the opportunity to rent/shoot as many as possible. My ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Local gun shop patronage

Local gun shop patronage

Just curious...I'm sure most of you visit multiple shops when looking for something new, to take the opportunity to rent/shoot as many as possible. My question: do you buy it where you find it, or have your favorite dealer order it, even at the expense of a few dollars?

My $.02: the goodwill you establish with your regular guy will pay off more than the few bucks you save here and there.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

I have a local dealer here that has anti-2A staff members that were former LEO's... I choose to drive 60mins to another store...

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

I have two Local Gun Stores. The owner of one isn't very helpful unless you are spending a lot of money. Laughed at me when I asked if he was going to get any Win Model 70s in stock because he said they were not made anymore and when they start back up they are going to be made in China. The other store has a habit or ignoring people who want to buy something because they are wrapped up in a conversation. So, I don't buy local.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Pip
    I seem to have the same problem here in CT. Have a shop about 5 miles away but they aren't that friendly or helpful to newer gun owners so luckily I have found another that I patronize about 20 miles from home. Not sure why some retailers don't get that word of mouth works negatively as well as positively. New here. Hello everyone, GREAT site.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper2501 View Post
    Just curious...I'm sure most of you visit multiple shops when looking for something new, to take the opportunity to rent/shoot as many as possible. My question: do you buy it where you find it, or have your favorite dealer order it, even at the expense of a few dollars?

My $.02: the goodwill you establish with your regular guy will pay off more than the few bucks you save here and there.
    I'm an 01-FFL federally licensed firearms dealer for profit, not a hobby dealer. I shoot and have memberships at a couple ranges that have a good suppy of most handguns and some long guns. I would prefer to shoot first and then buy but that is not usually possible.

Like any buyer these days, go a range that rents what you might want to buy and try it if at all possible. Maybe they have something similar that you can try.

Compare prices. The fact is there is really not a great sales margin (mark-up) on most firearms.

I sell almost all firearms over the Internet, except machine guns.

If someone knows what they want, I can usually sell it for less by Internet even when shipping and dealer transfer fees are added.

www.gunsandsupply.com

888-745-2080
    Last edited by SIGP250; November 11th, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I have 4 or so by me and I will only buy from 1 of them and usually by every other or so from this one as their prices are a bit high and I can usually handle that unless the difference is too high.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    I honor those that are honorable, meaning that I'll pay a little extra in order to buy from an ethical dealer and help their business vs. order over the internet. Unfortunately, that's a dwindling number; Of the three shops local to me, one owner was recently arrested for breaking & entering (plus grand larceny), and another that valued my business years ago, now has an attitude that they are rock stars...

There's one store left that is owned by two ancient, retired LEO's. They get all my business now.

If the price is reasonable, I'll buy it locally. I'll support my local gun shops/ranges. There's one shop I go into and just walk around snickering. His prices are about $50 higher than anyone else in town. I'll haggle overused gun prices, and sometimes get a bargain. I'll quietly, on the side, ask if the posted price is the best a shop can do on a new item. There's one shop I won't go into due to their attitude. Most shops I patronize know me by name. I'll keep my money local if it's at all possible.

I support two gun shops and both treat me fairly. Either will work to find whatever I need if they don't have it in stock (and both have expanded stocks).
    I give them lots of business and they treat me 'right'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There are a number of "mom/pop shops in my area. There are also a couple of big box stores. I buy from only one. The big boxes don't sell - they provide a commodity, and usually are not very knowledgeable. The locals I've visited, with the exception of one, don't want to talk to you unless you have your wallet open and your credit card out when you walk through the door. One of the locals has some decent prices, but does not return phone calls or e-mails.

The one guy I buy from has done a great job of supporting my 4-H Shooting Sports Club. He knows his stuff, is a gun smith, and treats me like my business - regardless of the amount I spend - is important to him. I just received a grant approval for $4500 for my club. I'm going to spent the lion's share of that in his shop. No one else seems to want my business. I have several other grants pending. The amounts vary between $500 and $4000. Total is around $12,000. Guess who is going to get the majority of that if and when the grants land.

Bottom line - if I have money to spend, I want to be treated like a customer and not a "guest."

Anyone in the NW Ohio area - if you want to know the dealer, PM me.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I have one local shop that's great! They have great prices(locally), will spend time with you, etc, etc...I bought my G19 from them.

However, I draw the line at about $50...that is, If I can save more than $50, then whoever gives me the best deal wins. Example I just got a G26 and got it for like $78 less.

My local dealer (Bill's Trading Post, Prescott Arizona ) pretty much treats everyone as friends/family, even more so than "customers".

Every thing Bill sells is 10% over his cost....period. He'll show you the invoice, without even asking.

I wish all retailers had similar tactics.

I have a couple of local shops I frequent and I look online. I almost always buy from the one local shop. His prices are fair and not much more than online. Usually with shipping and fees the prices are usually within 20 or 30 bucks. He and his staff are friendly and welcomes you to come in and look as many times as you want till you are comfortable buying what you like. He also has a .380 ammo list that you can join so when he gets the rare box you can grab some.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

I too subscribe to about $50 is my high end of paying more at my trusted LGS....and they agree, they would rather me save the money than upset me.....and they ultimately still get it out of me!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Most of the LGS in my neck of the woods are pretty good. They seem to realize that making a long term customer is more important than just one sale.

I found doing some homework online seems to help.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links