Well, I just finished the trigger job on my 92fs...

This is a discussion on Well, I just finished the trigger job on my 92fs... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 'D' spring took the DA trigger pull weight from over 10 pounds down to about 9 pounds. SA from 5-1/2 pounds to about 4-3/4 ...

Thread: Well, I just finished the trigger job on my 92fs...

Senior Moderator

The 'D' spring took the DA trigger pull weight from over 10 pounds down to about 9 pounds. SA from 5-1/2 pounds to about 4-3/4 pounds. Polishing took the 4-3/4 SA down to 4-1/2 pounds and maybe the DA down just a bit.

It's noticably smoother and it feels like it's got less stacking near the break point than it did when it was stock.

All I wanted was smooth and about an 8 pound DA with no less than a 4.5 pound SA. I got the 4.5 pound SA and it may not be possible to lighten the DA further without reducing the SA also, so I'm pretty happen where it is.

I did receive the standard and reduced power Wolff trigger spring units and I will try both of them just to see. If the reduced power unit drops my SA below 4.5 pounds I'll go with the stock power unit. I should receive a steel trigger from David Olhasso next week and then I can give the trigger springs a try.

This is a SD gun and I'm not going to reduce the over-travel and reset - I want some of that in a defense gun.

Anyway, it was a fun experience. Getting the sear back in was interesting - having done it now, it wouldn't be nearly so interesting or elusive to do again.

P.S.
    I did no polishing on either the hammer sears or the sear faces.

Did you polish the shoulders of the hammer, where it contacts the frame? I shoot mainly 92D's and that seems to have the greatest improvement to DA pull. I don't have the equipment to measure it as you did though.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle357
    Did you polish the shoulders of the hammer, where it contacts the frame? I shoot mainly 92D's and that seems to have the greatest improvement to DA pull. I don't have the equipment to measure it as you did though.
    I did. But the biggest improvement I saw was installing the 'D' spring and polishing the hammer strut edges and front an back faces of the strut and the "ball" that contacts the hammer. Thing got as smooth as butter.

This morning, I replaced the poly trigger with a steel one and replaced the stock trigger return spring with a Wolff reduced power trigger spring converstion unit. That dropped the trigger pull another 1/4 pound (SA) and probably the DA just a bit more than a 1/4.

Some on the Beretta Forum opined that the reduced trigger spring would hamper rapid fire speed. I don't think there's any way my finger can out run the trigger return. It really doesn't feel that different than stock, but it sure is smooth and just about all stacking is gone.

After all the polishing, sear face included, anything that moves, rotates, slides, whatever, the major improvement came from the 'D' spring, polishing the hammer strut thoroughly, and the Wolff reduced power trigger spring converstion unit.

I've got another stock 92fs now and I'm only going to install a 'D' spring, polish the hammer strut thoroughly, and install a Wolff reduced power trigger spring converstion unit. I'll compare the two guns, one with everything polished and one without all that. I don't believe there's gonna be much difference. Well, I may polish the pins, they looked pretty rough in the first one. I'll only do that if there's a significant difference between the two.

Hammer strut, huh? I didn't do that. Now that I think about it I can see how it would help smooth things out though.

We're right about the same place with the Wolff trigger spring. I bought a 92D Type-M 2 weeks ago with a trigger as smooth as butter. Took it apart to fnd out why and it had a Wolff in it. Was so impressed that I ordered another reduced power Wolff and my friend DoberJoe ordered one stock power and one reduced power. We'll be testing them shortly. Seems to have the most significant effect on DA smoothness.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle357
    Hammer strut, huh? I didn't do that. Now that I think about it I can see how it would help smooth things out though.

We're right about the same place with the Wolff trigger spring. I bought a 92D Type-M 2 weeks ago with a trigger as smooth as butter. Took it apart to fnd out why and it had a Wolff in it. Was so impressed that I ordered another reduced power Wolff and my friend DoberJoe ordered one stock power and one reduced power. We'll be testing them shortly. Seems to have the most significant effect on DA smoothness.
    I bought a standard power too. Now that I've tried the reduced power, I don't have anything to do with the standard power. I'll be doing some rapid fire shooting this week to see if there are any problems. I've seen some mighty weak return springs, esp. in my H&K P2000. I'm gonna be really be surprised if the Wolff unit gives me any problems.

As for the hammer strut, that's kinda an SOP. The hammer spring rides right on the strut. It has to slide down it under compression in the DA trigger mode. Any rough or irregular places on the strut WILL transfer to the trigger pull. Be sure to polish every thing I described on the strut. I finished up with 1500 grit emory cloth.

Really, really get a feel for how it feels before you do it so you can see the difference. Don't look at it and assume, polish it. Get out burrs, ridges, imperfections, anything. Make it an unblimished mirror.

Let me know what you find. Of course the difference will depend on the condition of your strut to start with. The strut is one of those "safe" areas you can polish.

Oh, yeah, be sure you put some light lube on the strut - it's still metal rubbing on metal.

VIP Member
    My sole DA "improvements" have been swapping my 92/96-series guns mainsprings with "D" or 1911 mainsprings....that work alone has done wonders....your work sounds interesting though Tangle.

I think one of our recent members, Age Ranger, did the same or similar polishing jobs to some internal parts he later had hard chromed and sold on the Beretta Forum last year. Some members who bought the parts reported wonderful trigger pulls on their mod'ed guns.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    My sole DA "improvements" have been swapping my 92/96-series guns mainsprings with "D" or 1911 mainsprings....that work alone has done wonders....your work sounds interesting though Tangle.

I think one of our recent members, Age Ranger, did the same or similar polishing jobs to some internal parts he later had hard chromed and sold on the Beretta Forum last year. Some members who bought the parts reported wonderful trigger pulls on their mod'ed guns.
    I saw that. I think I'm going be pretty happy with the 'D' spring, polished hammer strut, and Wolff reduced power trigger spring conversion unit. That got my 92 from a 6# SA to a really smooth, 4.5# trigger pull with little, if any, stacking.

I polished everything that could be polished except the hammer sears and couldn't feel or measure any significant improvement.

It would be very interesting to do nothing but install a polished, chromed sear and measure the trigger pull before and after and see how much difference it makes.

Age Ranger also cut three coils off of a 'D' spring. I'm sure that made a significant difference, but that's way over the "line" for a carry gun.

I've been really impressed with the very safe 'D' spring and very safe strut polish, and very safe Wolff reduced power trigger spring unit. I believe this is gives a much improved trigger that is significantly lighter, smoother, and all but eliminates stacking.

One other thing I did was install an extended mag release, that thing is great. Also, you ought to try polishing the internals of the mag release and put a slightly reduced power spring in the mag release. That takes all the gritty/grindy feel out of the mag release. I didn't polish the part that holds the mag, just the parts that slide in the frame, etc.

VIP Member
    Agreed on cutting a spring's coils on a SD gun....I wouldn't do it; the chances of your gun not igniting a hard primer goes up.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    Agreed on cutting a spring's coils on a SD gun....I wouldn't do it; the chances of your gun not igniting a hard primer goes up.
    I know that's right!

Another person on the BF said,

"Polishing the hammer strut, a "D" spring and a bunch of practice dramatically improved my DA shooting..."

I bet! Especially the "bunch of practice".

Last week I took a stock 92, and fired five shots cold; first time I'd shot the gun, and had DA four shots touching and touching the X in a B-27 at 21 feet from an off-hand Weaver. I messed up the fifth shot a bit, but that was me not the gun.

I doubt I could have done any better with the 'D' spring, polished strut, and reduced trigger spring. But, I do believe that stuff will help one to shoot a little quicker and it sure won't hurt anything.

Sponsored Links