Smith and Wesson 40ve Sigma

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson 40ve Sigma within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went into my local shop yesterday to pick up some ammo and a new shoulder holster (only good part about winter for me is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson 40ve Sigma

Smith and Wesson 40ve Sigma

I went into my local shop yesterday to pick up some ammo and a new shoulder holster (only good part about winter for me is the fact that I have to wear a jacket and I can use my shoulder holster, unfortunately I let my little boy wear my old one to play cops and robbers with during the summer and it broke a clasp). They are running a deal on the S&W Sigma for $320 out the door with tax and a $50 mail in rebate or a mail in rebate for two more mags. I'll probably send in for the $50 sense I get accessories at police prices.

So what do you guys think of the Sigma .40? For the price I don't think I can go wrong. It felt really good in my hand. The trigger is a little stiff being a 10lb trigger but I can always modify that if I need to, but I strangely liked it. I also liked how it felt balanced and it was heavier then my glock 22 (i've grown further and further from glocks after having more experience and owning others like sig, kimber, taurus, Springfield, etc...)

Is it reliable?
    Does it have any problems with any brand of Ammo? (ex: my Taraus 24/7 doesn't like hollow points)
    Accuracy?

Basically any info I can't find out from holding it would be great. If it's half way decent I don't want to pass up the price. $270 for a Smith and Wesson .40 cal doesn't seem like a bad deal at all as long as there aren't any issues with it.

2. Remove Ads

I have the 40 and the 9mm, I have about 1000 rounds through each. I have never had any problem with either. Fixing the trigger will do wonders.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

VIP Member
    I am sure you will hear from both sides of the fence on this one...

Personally, I have owned a .40 Sigma for about 10 years. It was my carry gun, my truck gun and my bedside gun for most of that time. I spent a lot of time at the range with it and worked past the heavy trigger. I never wanted to 'fix' the trigger personally since the long pull is, in my opinion, a safety mechanism, but I can see why that might be desirable. I found it to be as accurate as any other pistol and I don't ever recall having any ammo issues whatsoever. Obviously having owned and shot it for so long, I can't even begin to recall what brands of ammo I ran through it, but suffice it to say that I have never been too loyal to any one brand of range ammo, so I am pretty sure it saw a lot of variety.

I only had one mechanical issue with it. Earlier this year it started light strike misfiring at a significant percentage. I called S&W, they sent me a Fed-Ex label, they fixed the problem and sent it back; all on their dime.

I did finally retire it this year as my CC pistol, not for any real reason other than I had been wanting to get something a little smaller and easier to conceal. Plus it had been a long while since I had bought any guns and I was ready for something new!

How much was it to get the trigger pull fixed? I found a 3-1/2 trigger spring from wolff for like $3.

I have a Allied Force 9mm had it 5/6 years Great CC gun Great Bang for your$$ No malfunctions & point shoots naturally ; )
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I love my 40ve! It will eat anything I feed it and has been 100 percent reliable. After 500-600 round the trigger will lighten up. You should probaly wait and see how it feels then before getting a trigger job. JMO. Great gun and a great price. Buy it you won't regret it....give us a follow up after you put some rounds down range.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new Sigma... trigger should lighten up after a few hundred rounds...A friend called S&W complaining about the trigger and they had him send it back and fixed it...It has a really smooth pull on it now...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have had one since they came out in 1994 and runs flawlessly.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    I have the 40 and the 9mm, I have about 1000 rounds through each. I have never had any problem with either. Fixing the trigger will do wonders.

I double what he said. I hear they are great pistols. But my friends that have them hated the trigger so much that they ultimately sold them.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

Grab it!

had my SW40VE for 2 years. It is my primary carry. It has never rejected a single round of anything.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Mine is a 1st generation Sigma so the trigger is about identical to my Glocks
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Based on your statement it sounds like you are an LEO. If so, you can get a Glock in any caliber for $350. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the Sigma line but with your LEO discount why not just get a Glock?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    My brother-in-law has one, likes it, no problems.

FOM works armed security has one, likes it, no problems.

If they made it in a .45 I'd be tempted to get one...
    For God, Family and Country!

Those Sigmas had some issues earlier on (back in the '80's when they first appeared) but it appears S&W got 'em fixed. Mostly trigger problems. A buddy of mine bought one (.40) last year and he loves it! Smooth trigger pull, no hang-up or FTF's. I think it'll do you good.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

had the 40cal sigma compact with trijicons for about 7 years. never one problem eats every thing. It is beside my bead with 15 round mag of JHP and another 15 rd back up mag. Good gun for the price
    Ruger 3" SP-101 .357 mag
    Springfield XD subcompact .40 cal
    S&W 642 .38 spl
    S&W sigma .40 compact
    colt .38 spl detective special

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links