LCP (or other .380) as a BUG - and other thoughts.... - Page 2

LCP (or other .380) as a BUG - and other thoughts....

This is a discussion on LCP (or other .380) as a BUG - and other thoughts.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn The R9 is a good gun, if you can afford it. Some reports of it being picky about what ammo it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The R9 is a good gun, if you can afford it. Some reports of it being picky about what ammo it will feed.

The 9mm is better than the .380...but is it three times better? The R9 is about $1000, while the LCP is out there for under $300. I'd rather get a LCP, a CT Laserguard, ammo, and a holster...and still have a bunch of money left over for training. IMHO.

Or you could just get both! My R9 has never failed me. 124 fmj, 124 gold dots, and 147 gold dots all shoot perfect. The trigger on the Rohrbaugh puts the LCP to shame. Still no CT for the R9 yet.

If I were to carry a BUG, I would have to consider the same caliber as my primary as the best choice and since Kahr makes their PM series in all up through 45 I would seriously entertain this. I am biased as I have a PM9….but same goes for Glocks…..especially in the G26 and G27.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter200 View Post
    Or you could just get both! My R9 has never failed me. 124 fmj, 124 gold dots, and 147 gold dots all shoot perfect. The trigger on the Rohrbaugh puts the LCP to shame. Still no CT for the R9 yet.
    Well, considering that I will find out in mid-January if I still have a job with my company (for the second time in 11 months!) I won't be buying any $1000 pocket pistols anytime soon. It's going to be another austere Christmas, that's for sure.

I actually tried pocket carry of my wife's LCP last evening, and it just reinforced my preference for the Smartcarry and a "real" pistol. Pocket carry would force my keys into the same pocket as my wallet, my knife would need to move to right rear, and the spare mag would need to go in the left rear - which is a pain in the butt (literally) to sit on.

If you have the money, get an R9. I just don't think it is a good value. Better than a .380 LCP? Perhaps. But no way 3 times better - especially with no laser for it. YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have a Kahr PM9 so I know a little about the higher priced niche guns, but I bought the Kahr when they were $500 and that is my limit, IMHO there are too many other options out there to have to spend a $1000.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

My loaded little LCP sits atop this end table to my left, ready to be pointed toward the living room door. Still, six .380 shots into the face might even be fun and make any invasive intruders laugh into the flashing cracking jumping little muzzle of this house mouse gun.

I have to admit on occasion I carry my LCP in my front pocket, and my Det Spec. in my ankle holster. In that case, the LCP becomes my primary. I do not like the Det. Spec. in pocket carry. If the shtf, the LCP is fast on the draw. And I have become quite an accomplished shooter with it as well. If I wasnt, I wouldnt carry it at all. This only happens when I dont wear a sport coat which is a really rare occasion. When wearing a coat, the M&p9c is strong side and the LCP is locked in my desk drawer. Of course we all feel better with higher cal. doing the job, but more importantly we have to do our job REALLY well. In the end that will count alot more, imho.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

I carry a P3AT everyday, as ive said before I have plenty of other options ,but I dont feel that I need more than that, And all this what if this or that happened scenarios are fun to talk about, but unless you are very well trained in what to do in each situation, lets face it very few of us know exactly what we would do. Theyre too many different variables, the best an average law abidding citizen can do is to pick a gun u feel comfortable with , practice, practice ,and then practice some more so you can hit what youre aiming at and make sure that you always have it with you.When the SHTF and you need your gun stay calm and remember what you practiced, Hit your target.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    If you're able to carry a PM9, that might be a good way to go since it's a 9mm. If you want to stay with the .380, I'd at least look at the Kahr P.380. From what I'm told by a friend that has had both, there's quite a difference between it and the LCP.

I'm just saying.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

My primary objection to the LCP, and almost all other "pocket autos" that are in vogue today is not the chambering (though I'm not impressed with the .380, it doesn't throw a heavy enough bullet for my taste), its the design. I've tried a number of pocket autos out over the years, Beretta 950BS .25, Kel-Tec P32, Colt Mustang Pocketlite, etc. Every single one of them, at one time or another, managed to release the magazine due to the location of the magazine release (and all were carried in pocket holsters). That effectively turns the questionable caliber pocket pistol into a single shot. If there was ever a place for the heel clip magazine release, its the pocket auto. I'd bet most of the folks that carry these little pistols, especially as BUGs, don't even carry spare magazines. Why the need for the 1911 style mag release?

My second objection is the shape of these pistols. Yes, they tend to be small and flat, but I've always had a much easier time drawing a revolver from my pocket than any automatic. Yes, revolvers tend to be more bulky, but I find snubbie bobbed hammer, concealed hammer, or shrouded hammer revolvers to be the best pocket guns in existence. YMMV.

My on-duty backup is a S&W 37-2 Airweight .38 Special with a bobbed hammer loaded with 158 grain LSWCHP +P ammunition. I have a lot more faith in the 158 grain +P .38 Special than one or two more rounds of .380 ACP. If I could afford a M&P340, and it was available without the internal lock, I'd upgrade the magnum in a heartbeat.

I've taken to carrying two revolvers off-duty, a Ruger SP101 in my front pocket loaded with 158 grain SJHP magnums and the above listed 37-2 on my ankle. When I do wear a belt gun these days, it either the same SP101 (and the 37-2 moves to my pocket), or a .45 ACP M&P.

I just don't see any reason to carry a mouse gun, again YMMV.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Interesting thread. As to why there isn't a 9mm LCP, I think maybe because it wouldn't be as light & small, so they probably decided not to bother. Or, maybe Ruger's designing one as we speak, I don't know.

As to why carry a .380 (Or a .32, for that matter), I think most do so for a comfort & ease of carry. I have a Kel-Tec P-32 & when I carry it, it's in a wallet holster in my back pocket. It's so light & thin, I can't really tell the difference between it & my wallet. I could not do that with my PM9.

On the BUG thing, I personally preferred carrying my S&W 442. I carried a Glock 21 & had a 26, but the 5-shot was the BUG. My thinking is that IF I needed my BUG, I needed it to go bang (Not that I wouldn't want my main gun to do the same). If I needed to draw my BUG, that meant I was probably in deep doo-doo & needed what I believe is the most reliable firearm, a revolver. It's not there to shoot long distances, but to go bang every time I pull the trigger at "bad breath" distances, not to mention that there's no slide to get caught up on anything if I fired point blank (Or a gut shot).

Having said all that, some like the .380 because of its light recoil. Obviously, shot placement's paramount, but with hardly any perceived recoil, some feel it's easier with the .380.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I carry a S&W 637 90% of the time. The remainder of the time is the LCP. In my novice opinion and from practice experence, shot placement with the 637 is far easier with the 637. On the other hand, if I were in L&D situation, with the LCP, I don't suppose I would feel underarmed. Any gun is better than none when the SHTF.

Best!

Craig

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    SpringerXD:
    ...I'm talking about a situation where there's a higher likelihood of actually needing it.
    Well, if you are highly likely to need it - I carried a military 1911 .45 in a vertical shoulder holster as a BUG to my grease gun on a sling and 12 gauge pump "jeep" gun. It is all relative to the threat. Never needed it, but didn't look back and say "Gee, I wish I hadn't carried all that crap."

Anybody who doubts that the .380 is a "mouse gun" Take yours to a safe shooting place. Take a few gallon milk jugs filled with water and shoot them with carry ammo at about 20'. The effect is very convincing that a chest hit will at least, slow down a BG, and a couple of mre shots will put him down. The hydraulic shock exibited is really awsome..I did this with my .380 mustang and my 9. Yes, there was a bigger exit hole with the 9, but the .380 would be sufficient. I am a smaller guyand can't conceal anything bigger than the Mustang or simular sized gun. Note: they the milk jug thing with FMJs-- just drills a hole thru; hydrashoks blow a big hole out the rear of the jug.
    What I would call mouse guns are: .22, .25 and.32, especially with FMJs. Bseides, James Bond carried a Walther in 380, eh? (humor)

Now carrying lockback knife as a backup. Think about this: "I was in fear for my life whan I shot" Ok so far.
    "The gun did not totally stop him, so I took out my knife and cut him up" Self defense while in fear for your life? I believe a jury would have a problem with that one, in addition of being sued.

I usually carry a sling shot, that way if the rubber band breaks I can still throw the ball bearings at them. LOL
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    Anybody who doubts that the .380 is a "mouse gun" Take yours to a safe shooting place. Take a few gallon milk jugs filled with water and shoot them with carry ammo at about 20'. The effect is very convincing that a chest hit will at least, slow down a BG, and a couple of mre shots will put him down. The hydraulic shock exibited is really awsome..I did this with my .380 mustang and my 9. Yes, there was a bigger exit hole with the 9, but the .380 would be sufficient. I am a smaller guyand can't conceal anything bigger than the Mustang or simular sized gun. Note: they the milk jug thing with FMJs-- just drills a hole thru; hydrashoks blow a big hole out the rear of the jug.
    What I would call mouse guns are: .22, .25 and.32, especially with FMJs. Bseides, James Bond carried a Walther in 380, eh? (humor)

Now carrying lockback knife as a backup. Think about this: "I was in fear for my life whan I shot" Ok so far.
    "The gun did not totally stop him, so I took out my knife and cut him up" Self defense while in fear for your life? I believe a jury would have a problem with that one, in addition of being sued.

I carry a lock blade folder as a back up, and am faster with the lock blade than with firearm.

If I can smell his breath then I can reach out and touch him.

I have great respect for my lock blade and my P3AT just faster with the lock blade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links