LCP (or other .380) as a BUG - and other thoughts....

This is a discussion on LCP (or other .380) as a BUG - and other thoughts.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that a lot of police officers carry an LCP as a BUG these days and I wanted to toss out some concepts. Please ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LCP (or other .380) as a BUG - and other thoughts....

I know that a lot of police officers carry an LCP as a BUG these days and I wanted to toss out some concepts. Please honor my request to NOT have a caliber war in this thread! There are plenty of those elsewhere and that's not my intention.

Here's the thing that intrigues me. If a situation is so dire that you have to resort to a backup gun, would you want that to be a .380? Now, if you're comfortable carrying a .380 as a primary, I respect that. It's not for me, but I respect it. But again, if you wouldn't carry it as a primary, would you want to depend on it in a really bad situation? I understand the convenience factor like we've discussed in other threads, like a quick run to the store, etc...., but I'm talking about a situation where there's a higher likelihood of actually needing it.

My next question is...do you think they'll ever make the LCP in 9mm? If they did and it was rated for continuous +p use, that might sell even better than the current version. I'm probably getting ridiculous now, but I'm wondering if .357 SIG could be done.

I know that Kahr has some really small guns in larger calibers but I'm curious as to why no other maker, or very few of them, offers the same.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Couple of thoughts...

Shot placement is king; penetration is queen. A .380 pistol loaded with FMJ can be quite effective. Only hits to the vitals count - regardless of caliber.

As a BUG, you likely want something small and light - there is a limit to what you can carry without clanking or looking like a SWAT wannabe mall-ninja...

I don't carry a BUG. My back-up weapon is a knife. Only so much I can carry, especially in a suit.

For a LEO, a duty weapon with a sub-compact version as a BUG makes a whole lot of sense, since they can share magazines (such as a Glock 19 with a 26 as a BUG).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Shot placement is king; penetration is queen. A .380 pistol loaded with FMJ can be quite effective. Only hits to the vitals count - regardless of caliber.
    I agree, but that's not really what I'm reaching for. There are people who would never carry a .380 as a primary. For those people, what's the logic in the BUG being a .380, other than convenience?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

The answer to your last question is Kel Tec PF9 and other single stack mag. 9mm.

MY wife and I carry a P3AT and one spare mag and feel very well armed. We are not LEOs and not tactical operators however we are a effect team that works very well together. As to 380, we are comfortable with it and if the situation in our nation breaks down, and we feel the need we well both move up in caliber and the P3AT will be our BUG.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I agree, but that's not really what I'm reaching for. There are people who would never carry a .380 as a primary. For those people, what's the logic in the BUG being a .380, other than convenience?
    What if I were to flip it around and suggest that the .380 is my primary and the 9mm is my BUG?

Example: G19 is tucked under my shirt. LCP is in a wallet holster in my back pocket. BG on the street surpises me with a gun in my face, requesting my wallet. What do you think he's gonna get shot with first?

Of course the answer depends on the devil in the details. However, it's gonna be mighty tempting for me to reach for my 'wallet' and show him the repeated muzzle blast of the LCP on the way out.

'Just a thought... Who knows - maybe he shoots me first? These are just things that I think about...

Well, in my mind a BUG is if either your primary has had a catastrophic malfunction, or you lost control of your primary/can't get to it. BUGs like the P3AT are so common because they can just be worn with the clip in the pocket, or an ankle rig (as can a J-frame).

I actually would prefer my j-frame as a bug, because in my mind, it would be less prone to having problems being in a pocket or ankle rig all day, but that is probably mostly mental.

But the purpose of the BUG should be to get you out of the situation so you can get your primary back into action, and in most cases would only be deployed at contact range, so you are just sticking it in the BG's belly and unloading anyways (or his eye). Would I like having another full size 1911 to back up my primary 1911, yes, but due to weight and concealment issues that's not always possible.

Just my thoughts, and FWIW, I usually just have a knife, or rarely my J-frame as a BUG.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I think it's like the ".22 in hand is better than .45 in truck". If your choice is between a .380 BUG or no BUG than I go with the .380. Not being a LEO I don't expect to run into trouble on any given day, but I carry so that I can have a chance in an unexpected situation. Similarly I don't expect to face a situation where I'll need a BUG, but I will throw my LCP in my pocket so that if I do need a second weapon at least I have something.

My brother who is LEO just got his LCP he has a Glock .45 for his main and the LCP as BUG.

I dont see why a .380 could not get the job done if he need it.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

If you carry a small belly gun as your main carry, you may want to consider a good lock blade folder as a back up. Even a small tactical flashlight can be used to good effect in a up close and personal fight.

As long as we have RULE OF LAW working and 911 works and LE is on the way even if they take a few minutes, I do not know that I will need a massive amount of fire power. My 380 is a get off me gun and my lock blade folder is a stay off me knife, while my small tactical flashlight is to back both these. Been thanking about some good quality pepper spray as a non lethal option.

My hope is; I never have to use any of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I know that a lot of police officers carry an LCP as a BUG these days and I wanted to toss out some concepts. Please honor my request to NOT have a caliber war in this thread! There are plenty of those elsewhere and that's not my intention.

Here's the thing that intrigues me. If a situation is so dire that you have to resort to a backup gun, would you want that to be a .380? Now, if you're comfortable carrying a .380 as a primary, I respect that. It's not for me, but I respect it. But again, if you wouldn't carry it as a primary, would you want to depend on it in a really bad situation? I understand the convenience factor like we've discussed in other threads, like a quick run to the store, etc...., but I'm talking about a situation where there's a higher likelihood of actually needing it.

My next question is...do you think they'll ever make the LCP in 9mm? If they did and it was rated for continuous +p use, that might sell even better than the current version. I'm probably getting ridiculous now, but I'm wondering if .357 SIG could be done.

I know that Kahr has some really small guns in larger calibers but I'm curious as to why no other maker, or very few of them, offers the same.

They do make the LCP in 9mm, it's called a Rohrbaugh

.380 is not my first choice as a BUG, but there are times when only my LCP will do. It's better than nothing. I prefer (and usually find a way) to carry my S&W 642 in .38+P as my BUG. Both are "up close" handguns, but the little .38's greater "make my day" factor is comforting.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

VIP Member
    I would carry a j-frame as a back-up when I was an LEO, regardless of my primary gun... I felt more comfortable with it in an ankle holster than a .380... Nothing to do with caliber, it was just comfort, for me... I also carried a NAA .22 revolver hidden in my vest as a last ditch gun...

Today, I carry a 642, when I carry a BUG...I don't currently own a .380, but wouldn't hesitate to carry an LCP if I had one...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    But the purpose of the BUG should be to get you out of the situation so you can get your primary back into action, and in most cases would only be deployed at contact range, so you are just sticking it in the BG's belly and unloading anyways (or his eye). Would I like having another full size 1911 to back up my primary 1911, yes, but due to weight and concealment issues that's not always possible.
    Good comment. To run with this, I think most folks here understand that the small BUG is not for shooting thru car windshields. However, due to it's small size, it is the easiest thing to have handy and quickly bring in at close range on a BG's head/torso. If the BG has the drop on you, and unless you're Bob Munden (insert your favorite quick-draw hero here), it's going to be near suicide to lift up your shirt and pull your hand-cannon. I prefer to have a plan were every motion that I make is interpreted as complying with the BG, right up to the moment that he receives his third eye.

I carry a .380 in addition to a 9mm not because it is comfortable, but because it serves an entirely different function. I don't think of it as a BUG, but more as another tool that I might reach for first.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Good comment. To run with this, I think most folks here understand that the small BUG is not for shooting thru car windshields. However, due to it's small size, it is the easiest thing to have handy and quickly bring in at close range on a BG's head/torso. If the BG has the drop on you, and unless your Bob Munden (insert your favorite quick-draw hero here), it's going to be near suicide to lift up your shirt and pull your hand-cannon. I prefer to have a plan were every motion that I make is interpreted as complying with the BG, right up to the moment that he receives his third eye.

I carry a .380 in addition to a 9mm not because it is comfortable, but because it serves an entirely different function. I don't think of it as a BUG, but more as another tool that I might reach for first.
    +1 on both post in this thread. I'd add my 2 cents, but you've covered my thoughts on the BUG's appeal and its use IMO. 100% agreed, its deployment depends on the situation at hand and being a slower traveling 9mm has little effect on it's potency, if placed correctly and followed up with a couple more.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
    They do make the LCP in 9mm, it's called a Rohrbaugh
    The R9 is a good gun, if you can afford it. Some reports of it being picky about what ammo it will feed.

The 9mm is better than the .380...but is it three times better? The R9 is about $1000, while the LCP is out there for under $300. I'd rather get a LCP, a CT Laserguard, ammo, and a holster...and still have a bunch of money left over for training. IMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links