SR9 vs. XD9 vs. XD9sc - carry differences

This is a discussion on SR9 vs. XD9 vs. XD9sc - carry differences within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is me probably just rethinking too much over the next purchase as I save up the funds. I wanted a 9mm that was easy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SR9 vs. XD9 vs. XD9sc - carry differences

SR9 vs. XD9 vs. XD9sc - carry differences

This is me probably just rethinking too much over the next purchase as I save up the funds. I wanted a 9mm that was easy to carry and after test driving a number of them I liked the XD9sc a lot. I'm now thinking the XD9 is only ~3/4" longer on the grip so is it that big of a deal? The XD9 seems to be had for a better deal in general lately too. I've never shot the SR9 (hard to find one to shoot), but it still intrigues me and has a real nice fit, very thin and height is the same between it and the XD9. I've read some love their SR9 and some have issues w/ the barrel peening and heavy trigger.

So give me your advice; you're the experts! Keep in mind the XD9sc is 1st on the list as I really like everything about it and I believe it will be easier to pack as I tend to sit a lot while working. Thoughts from those who own one or more of these would be greatly welcomed. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Keep the XD9sc in first place. It's a great gun. Carries well, shoots great.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    3/4" can be a big deal, depending on what you're wearing. I would get the XD9sc... You can always carry XD9 mags as back-ups...That's what I do with my G26 (carry G19 mags for spares)... Don't let your priorities change, just to save a few bucks...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Take it from me, I've meandered around the gunshops, internet sites, magazines and have purchased/traded a few pistols and revolvers. The XD9sc is on my side all day, every day unless I'm at work at the fire station. Great carry, great shooter and yes extended magazines are available if you like.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

no doubt or question to it....... XD9sc with out a doubt
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

cmb
    If you go XD9 you might as well go XDM9mm. I'd stay with your first decision, 3/4" can be alot especially in the grip.

VIP Member
    I would save a little more money and get a Sig P250, if I were to choose your list it would be the XD9 SC it's a good little firearm
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    Take it from me, I've meandered around the gunshops, internet sites, magazines and have purchased/traded a few pistols and revolvers. The XD9sc is on my side all day, every day unless I'm at work at the fire station. Great carry, great shooter and yes extended magazines are available if you like.
    Thanks for the input...do you have a holster recommendation for the XD9sc? What do you use most to carry it?

Two more suggestions to add to the list: Kahr cw9 and the S&W M&P 9 (or 9c). The M&P felt better in my hands then the XD.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    Two more suggestions to add to the list: Kahr cw9 and the S&W M&P 9 (or 9c). The M&P felt better in my hands then the XD.
    Kahr CW9: I like having more than a trigger safeties, and more than 8 rounds if it's a 9mm. Nice weapon though.

M&P: felt a little too big for my hand...but not much...I'd like to shoot the M&P9c, but I've had a hard time finding one to shoot.

I own and shoot and carry both the XD9Sc (pic) and a Ruger SR9 and can c omment favorably on both of them as a carry gun.

Both are light, easy to conceal, and highly reliable. Of the two the XD9Sc has been far and away the better carry gun. Even with the extended magazine it is easy to conceal and is, in fact, my EDC. I recommend it over the SR9 emphatically.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    I own and shoot and carry both the XD9Sc (pic) and a Ruger SR9 and can c omment favorably on both of them as a carry gun.

Both are light, easy to conceal, and highly reliable. Of the two the XD9Sc has been far and away the better carry gun. Even with the extended magazine it is easy to conceal and is, in fact, my EDC. I recommend it over the SR9 emphatically.
    This is the experience I wanted to hear! Thanks. What holsters work for you with the XD9sc? Thanks again.

XD9sc would be my vote. Carry mine everyday in a Supertuck. I like that I can put the extended mag in for both more capacity and a slightly better grip. I do tend to carry the flush fitting 10 rd mags more often for concealability. I sit at my desk quite a bit and depending on where my holster is the grip can print a little. The larger/extended mag (16 rd) would print through more than I would want. I would go with the subcompact as I feel you would have more options. But maybe you don't sit as much or wear your holster in the same way. Just my 2 cents.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I have both the XD9sc and the XD9 service. I carry the service as my EDC but carry the SC when I need less printing. The XDsc does not print like the service does but most people will not notice if you do print somewhat. I use the Meg-Gar mags which hold 18 rounds in the service and I use the 13 rounder in the SC and carry and extra 18 rounder with both. If you use the extended mags in the SC you have the same round count and grip as the service just a shorter barrel.

If I could only have one of the two it would be the XD9sc.

AS for holsters when I carried on the hip I used a Maxcon V or a Super Tuck. I now carry appendix and use one of these EHUD APPENDIX CARRY HOLSTER.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=731
    My 2 cent worth
    Last edited by Bill MO; November 14th, 2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: to add holster info

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'm kind of in a similar situation, sort of. I'm getting a new XD9SC hopefully within a week. I've had & carried a Glock 26 for quite a few yrs (Including using it for work) & I currently have a Glock 19.

Just a thought (My opinion only), but when you think about getting just a little bigger gun, it can get out of control. Not crazy, just that what seems like not much extra size can end up (Maybe) making you think about not carrying down the line because of its size.

What I've found is that if you can get a good grip on it & it's still small & concealable, that's a winner. The XDSC's have a longer grip than the Glock 26/27's (W/O the pinky extender, of course) & the new ones now come with a flush fitting 13 round mag. 14 rounds (13+1) in a sub-compact & the 16 round extended mag is alot of fire power in an easy to carry weapon. That gives you 30 rounds with 2 mags. That's basically the same capacity as my Glock 19 with an extra mag (Provided I don't carry/use my G-17 mag as the extra).

I'll admit I was initially concerned with the shorter barrel, but have found that the accuracy on the little XDs (& the little Glocks, for that matter) are just fine. I felt much more confident with either of those than with my Kahr PM9. I liked the PM9 & it was ideal for CC, but I could/can shoot far better with the little XDs/Glocks.

As for holsters, that is a personal thing. I'm a big fan of appendix carry, but I think it depends on your build, holster, & the gun on whether that'll work. BTW, UBG Holsters makes a great leather appendix carry IWB.

Good luck with you choice.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links