CCW Sig P229

This is a discussion on CCW Sig P229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should have my pistol permit in about 12-16 weeks and want to pickup a pistol as an xmas gift for myself before I get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Sig P229

CCW Sig P229

I should have my pistol permit in about 12-16 weeks and want to pickup a pistol as an xmas gift for myself before I get my CCW. I've heard a few people say that the Sig P229 is a bit too big to easily conceal. Am I going to have a problem concealing this if I get an IWB holster?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I carry mine IWB with both a Milt Sparks VMII and a CTAC for tucking. Never prints, not uncomfortable. I like it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Well........it's kind of hard to say. Have you ever carried before? What are your physical characteristics? How well do you adapt to change? An awful lot of things to consider, and in answering your basic question about "would it be difficult for you to conceal".......I would say yes initially. Now there is the possibility you will find the right holster, and the right spot on your waistline and be set right from the get-go. But highly unlikely. I think the P229 would be a fine carry piece, and if your set on it (which you seem to be), then you'll need to work with it to the best of your means and abilities. Expect some disappointments, and discomfort while learning to be one with your new pistol. Another thing.....12-16 weeks is quite a while believe me. I had about a three month wait on my first permit as well. So...in the meantime, you may want to test out some pistols from friends, or loaners at a club or range. One more thing.....you may want to search the toy section wherever it is you shop......I'm a Wal Mart guy myself, and they usually have a SIG BBgun or plastic pellet gun somewhere in the sporting goods section. If you think you can part with the cash for the plastic SIG (P226 or P229 lookalike), then you might just try carrying that around tucked inside your waistband right at home and figure out how things are going to go long before you get your pistol or your permit. Asking here on the forums is good, it's just that everyone is different so many ways that no matter what you think you've gained by others experience, your experience is what counts. I can tell you that at 6'1" and 200lbs, small developing gut, and no azz, that I can conceal a full size SIG P220 SAO, IWB under a t-shirt with a bit of skill. Nowhere near as easily as I can a compact size Glock, but I've worked at it a long time, and been through a few different holsters on the way to work with the way I normally dress. Now...if you want to change the way you normally dress, you'll be one up on things. Dressing differently than you normally would could make up the difference in drawbacks of your physical characteristics pertaining to carrying this certain pistol. After you've been through all of that research and development, you may decide a different pistol would do better for you. You went for your permit for whatever reason......that says something up front. In the days ahead, you'll rely on your modularity, your perseverance, your patience, and your will in order to do something you now feel very important to you for your own reasons. Walk down the hallway of time, and find the door that says effort. Open and walk through that door and you'll come out where you want to be right now. Best of luck to you, and come back an let us know how things are working for you.

Fairly thick gun

I've had a P229 for about 8 years and like the gun very much, but it is thick in the slide compared to most other guns. When I have carried it, it has been outside the waist band in a Kramer belt scabbard holster. With the right cover garment this works for me.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I carry my P228 in a Versa Max II or a Kramer OWB with no problem .
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    RamRod made some very good points and advice. I carry a Sig SP 2022 which is about the same size as the 229, but weighs about 3 oz. less, because of the polymer frame.

A good holster makes all the difference in the world. I have no trouble carrying my 2022 in a IWB holster by Ryan Grizzle. Many people carry the 229 and I'm sure you will be just fine.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I carry a P228 in a Galco Summer Special or a Mitch Rosen Premier OWB, it is very concealable with a good belt and holster.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I carry my 229 OWB, for me any IWB is not as comfortable, maybe because I like a tighter fit jean and don't like buying one size up in jeans.
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Full-size 220 here in an MTAC... no problems for me, and works great in a SmartCarry...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I carry one in a OWB holster and I am 6'0 and 180 lbs
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I prefer my P229 in a OWB holster, its a little thick for me to carry regularly IWB - but I only have a 30" waist.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I carry my P229 in a IWB....no problems
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thanks for the info guys, I'll order a few of the holsters mentioned in the next few weeks and see if I can find a dummy gun of the P229. It's unfortunate that in NY we can't even touch a pistol until we have a permit.

I carry my P229 IWB with no problems. I would suggest that you make sure that you have a good holster and Belt combo before trying to carry the p229. I use a CrossBreed super tuck and a belt from The Belt Man. As mentioned in previous posts, everyone is different and just because it works for me doesn't mean it will for you. It is very much a trial and error process figuring out the best set up that works for you, so good luck!!

Rich, don't forget about a good gun belt it is just as important as a good holster. I too prefer OWB for full sized guns. Check out the Bianchi Carryloc series, I have CC'd for 14 years now and it is by far the best I have found for many reasons, but it doesn't mean it will work for you. Very few get it right the first time, so have fun finding what works for you.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links