Defensive Carry banner

Inaccurate night sights on Glock

10K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
I just recently put Ameriglo GL-227 Pro-Series night sights on both my G23 and G26. I took them out to the range yesterday for a test drive and found that both guns hit low and to the left by about 4" at 7yards. I thought it was something I was doing wrong, ie. improper grip, flinch, etc. I was with a friend who is an NRA instructor and asked him to watch me. He said my grip and technique was fine. I then asked him to fire a few rounds from both guns and he was hitting in the same place I was. We found that in order to hit accurately w/ the G23 we had to line up the top of the rear sight with the top of the slide, not the front sight. The G26 was similar, top of rear sight was lined up with middle of front sight. :aargh4:

Has anyone else experienced this problem with these sights, or any other for that matter? How do I correct this problem so that my sights are dead on?

#3 ·
The 26 is new and had never been fired before until yesterday. The 23 was having the same issue before I put the new sights on it. I just thought it was shooter error. Now that it is shooting the same as before, I am beginning to wonder if it is a problem with the gun itself. Thoughts?

#7 ·
I just recently put Ameriglo GL-227 Pro-Series night sights on both my G23 and G26. I took them out to the range yesterday for a test drive and found that both guns hit low and to the left by about 4" at 7yards. I thought it was something I was doing wrong, ie. improper grip, flinch, etc. I was with a friend who is an NRA instructor and asked him to watch me. He said my grip and technique was fine. I then asked him to fire a few rounds from both guns and he was hitting in the same place I was. We found that in order to hit accurately w/ the G23 we had to line up the top of the rear sight with the top of the slide, not the front sight. The G26 was similar, top of rear sight was lined up with middle of front sight. :aargh4:
Has anyone else experienced this problem with these sights, or any other for that matter? How do I correct this problem so that my sights are dead on?
One set of Fixed sights won't give you the same point of impact with
multiple guns/calibers.

READ BELOW...Ameriglo...

" If you are shooting LOW, then you need a taller rear sight or a shorter front sight.
-- If you are shooting HIGH, then you need a shorter rear sight or a taller front sight.

AmeriGlo offers a variety of rear sights (plain black and tritium) in the following heights:
.256", .271", .287", .311", .393" (6.5mm, 6.9mm, 7.3mm, 7.9mm, 10.0mm)

AmeriGlo offers a variety of front sights (plain, serrated, white dot, tritium) in the following heights:
.165" (standard factory height), .180", .200", .220", .240", .260", .280", .300", .315", .330", .350"

You will need to know your current sight heights to correctly replace it.
-- The standard height of a Glock plastic front sight is .165". (measure only the sight blade)
-- Glock offers a variety of rear sights, indicated with a series of dashes. Glock refers to these heights as +0 (6.5mm), +1 (6.9mm)."

#8 ·
I read this as well on AmeriGlo's site. The sights I have on both pistols are +0. According to their Sight Calculator, the 23's sights need to be adjusted by .095, and the 26 .090. Based on those calculations, there is no sight that fits those specifications. I guess I could have a gunsmith mill them if this is indeed the problem.

As for user error, it's possible. I'll admit I am no "Jack Bauer", but I do believe I understand the basics well enough to put the bullet where it is supposed to go. Maybe I need to loosen my grip a tad so that my left (support) hand isn't drawing me off line.

#14 ·
A change in sights almost always demands a change in sight picture/hold. Adapt, move them, or get something else.

#18 ·
I'd suspect a flinching problem as well. Here's a question for you, since you have a sub compact 9mm and compact .40, which you seem to be flinching with both of them. Do you have a .22 pistol, and when is the last time you shot it? If I'm shooting and start to notice a flinch, I'll stop with the bigger calibers for the day, and go back to the basics with a .22, it helps, for me at least.

Also, try putting a dime on top of your pistols while you dry fire them, and keep the dime on top through the whole trigger pull.

Another way to check for a flinch is done best with a shooting partner. Have your partner randomly stack snap-caps in your magazines, without you knowing where. If you have a flinch, it will definitely show since any movement during the "firing sequence" will be caused by the shooter.

Or, the sights could just be slightly off, in which case I'd talk to a competent gunsmith about it.

#21 ·
The 9mm and the .40 are the only two handguns I own. I am not quite convinced that a flinch is the problem. When I lined up the top of the rear sight with the top of the slide on my 23 I was putting all 13 shots within a 1.5"-2" group right where I wanted them. That being said, I will definitely try the dime exercise that you mentioned. Where exactly do you place the dime, towards the front, rear?

#22 ·
Well, towards the front, as it would show the muzzle movement if the dime moves. I don't have a glock anywhere around me, but originally learned about this technique with M-16's, placing the dime on the front sight, and have done it with a couple of handguns since. If you can find a way to get it to sit still on the front sight, that would be ideal. I don't know how feasible that is with glock sights though.

#24 ·
I had Meprolight nite sights put on my G23 & G27 at the same time.
When I got them back, my G23 shot fine, but the G27 shoots high & to the right.....both guns shot fine prior to the sight change.

#25 ·
.40 and 9mm Glocks both require 6.5 rear sights. There should be one horizontal line across the side of the rear sight to indicate that you have the right sight.

As mentioned, they may also need to be pushed. If you are shooting left, then they need to be pushed right. It could be a combo of sights being off and shooter error.

#26 ·
I'd try about 300 reps of dry fire. Choose a SMALL target at the distance you plan to shoot at (7 yards). For me I have a small (1/2") dot on a wall in my house (hidden behind a picture).

You want to focus on making sure that the sight picture does not shift at all while dry firing. Once you are certain of proper technique, drill it into your muscle memory.

IMO the dime on the slide is not an accurate assessment on a square-topped semi-auto like a glock. This method works great with a snub-nosed revolver, though.

When you get back to the range, dry fire some more just to get it in your head.

I have seen a lot of shooters who want to "fix" everything but their technique.

#28 ·
Learn about/take a course involving Point Shooting, then you won't need those sights. Night sights, still important, need only to be used as a reference point in dim or very low light situations. OMO:yup:

Guaranteed: You'll never use your sights in a WalMart Parking lot. :nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.