Inaccurate night sights on Glock - Page 2

Inaccurate night sights on Glock

This is a discussion on Inaccurate night sights on Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 27 with the same sights and am experiencing the EXACT problem. I benched it and found the same as off hand ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inaccurate night sights on Glock

Same problem!!

I have a Glock 27 with the same sights and am experiencing the EXACT problem. I benched it and found the same as off hand shooting. Thought that the night sights would be closer then that.

Why not just tap the rear sight a little to the right and learn where to hold for the vertical. At normal Self defense range, that couple inches won't matter anyway.

I'd suspect a flinching problem as well. Here's a question for you, since you have a sub compact 9mm and compact .40, which you seem to be flinching with both of them. Do you have a .22 pistol, and when is the last time you shot it? If I'm shooting and start to notice a flinch, I'll stop with the bigger calibers for the day, and go back to the basics with a .22, it helps, for me at least.

Also, try putting a dime on top of your pistols while you dry fire them, and keep the dime on top through the whole trigger pull.

Another way to check for a flinch is done best with a shooting partner. Have your partner randomly stack snap-caps in your magazines, without you knowing where. If you have a flinch, it will definitely show since any movement during the "firing sequence" will be caused by the shooter.

Or, the sights could just be slightly off, in which case I'd talk to a competent gunsmith about it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    4" at 7 yards though? That is a classic flinch and poor trigger control case. I've seen it and fixed it a million times.
    Yep.

Sights aren't going to be 4 inches off at 7 yards.

"Ball and Dummy" FTW.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    In that case, I'll bet my next paycheck it is user error. Low and left is the most common error in pistol shooting.
    I'd agree with that. Low and left is the error I'm trying to get worked out of my system.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'd suspect a flinching problem as well. Here's a question for you, since you have a sub compact 9mm and compact .40, which you seem to be flinching with both of them. Do you have a .22 pistol, and when is the last time you shot it? If I'm shooting and start to notice a flinch, I'll stop with the bigger calibers for the day, and go back to the basics with a .22, it helps, for me at least.

Also, try putting a dime on top of your pistols while you dry fire them, and keep the dime on top through the whole trigger pull.

Another way to check for a flinch is done best with a shooting partner. Have your partner randomly stack snap-caps in your magazines, without you knowing where. If you have a flinch, it will definitely show since any movement during the "firing sequence" will be caused by the shooter.

Or, the sights could just be slightly off, in which case I'd talk to a competent gunsmith about it.
    The 9mm and the .40 are the only two handguns I own. I am not quite convinced that a flinch is the problem. When I lined up the top of the rear sight with the top of the slide on my 23 I was putting all 13 shots within a 1.5"-2" group right where I wanted them. That being said, I will definitely try the dime exercise that you mentioned. Where exactly do you place the dime, towards the front, rear?

Well, towards the front, as it would show the muzzle movement if the dime moves. I don't have a glock anywhere around me, but originally learned about this technique with M-16's, placing the dime on the front sight, and have done it with a couple of handguns since. If you can find a way to get it to sit still on the front sight, that would be ideal. I don't know how feasible that is with glock sights though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My Glock

I know with my Glock it's definitely the sight, in-line but always low. I also practice with a buckmark .22 and have no issues with that. I'd like to substitute the glock in for USPSA practice but because of the distance always stick to the XDm 40.

I had Meprolight nite sights put on my G23 & G27 at the same time.
    When I got them back, my G23 shot fine, but the G27 shoots high & to the right.....both guns shot fine prior to the sight change.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

.40 and 9mm Glocks both require 6.5 rear sights. There should be one horizontal line across the side of the rear sight to indicate that you have the right sight.

As mentioned, they may also need to be pushed. If you are shooting left, then they need to be pushed right. It could be a combo of sights being off and shooter error.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I'd try about 300 reps of dry fire. Choose a SMALL target at the distance you plan to shoot at (7 yards). For me I have a small (1/2") dot on a wall in my house (hidden behind a picture).

You want to focus on making sure that the sight picture does not shift at all while dry firing. Once you are certain of proper technique, drill it into your muscle memory.

IMO the dime on the slide is not an accurate assessment on a square-topped semi-auto like a glock. This method works great with a snub-nosed revolver, though.

When you get back to the range, dry fire some more just to get it in your head.

I have seen a lot of shooters who want to "fix" everything but their technique.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

If you were not having a problem before you changed sights common sense would dictate a simply sight adjustment.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Learn about/take a course involving Point Shooting, then you won't need those sights. Night sights, still important, need only to be used as a reference point in dim or very low light situations. OMO

Guaranteed: You'll never use your sights in a WalMart Parking lot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links