Inaccurate night sights on Glock

This is a discussion on Inaccurate night sights on Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recently put Ameriglo GL-227 Pro-Series night sights on both my G23 and G26. I took them out to the range yesterday for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inaccurate night sights on Glock

I just recently put Ameriglo GL-227 Pro-Series night sights on both my G23 and G26. I took them out to the range yesterday for a test drive and found that both guns hit low and to the left by about 4" at 7yards. I thought it was something I was doing wrong, ie. improper grip, flinch, etc. I was with a friend who is an NRA instructor and asked him to watch me. He said my grip and technique was fine. I then asked him to fire a few rounds from both guns and he was hitting in the same place I was. We found that in order to hit accurately w/ the G23 we had to line up the top of the rear sight with the top of the slide, not the front sight. The G26 was similar, top of rear sight was lined up with middle of front sight.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with these sights, or any other for that matter? How do I correct this problem so that my sights are dead on?

Administrator
    Were you shooting both guns fine prior to the sight install?
    "Just blame Sixto"

The 26 is new and had never been fired before until yesterday. The 23 was having the same issue before I put the new sights on it. I just thought it was shooter error. Now that it is shooting the same as before, I am beginning to wonder if it is a problem with the gun itself. Thoughts?

If the gun shot the same with the factory sights as with the Amer-glo ones I'd say its not the sights.

If adjustment is not needed after installation it is contributed to luck as much as skill.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowgroove View Post
    The 26 is new and had never been fired before until yesterday. The 23 was having the same issue before I put the new sights on it. I just thought it was shooter error. Now that it is shooting the same as before, I am beginning to wonder if it is a problem with the gun itself. Thoughts?
    Regretfully I would bet it's you just not getting down to the basics. The gun should be pretty spot on.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowgroove View Post
    I just recently put Ameriglo GL-227 Pro-Series night sights on both my G23 and G26. I took them out to the range yesterday for a test drive and found that both guns hit low and to the left by about 4" at 7yards. I thought it was something I was doing wrong, ie. improper grip, flinch, etc. I was with a friend who is an NRA instructor and asked him to watch me. He said my grip and technique was fine. I then asked him to fire a few rounds from both guns and he was hitting in the same place I was. We found that in order to hit accurately w/ the G23 we had to line up the top of the rear sight with the top of the slide, not the front sight. The G26 was similar, top of rear sight was lined up with middle of front sight.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem with these sights, or any other for that matter? How do I correct this problem so that my sights are dead on?
    One set of Fixed sights won't give you the same point of impact with
    multiple guns/calibers.

READ BELOW...Ameriglo...

" If you are shooting LOW, then you need a taller rear sight or a shorter front sight.
    -- If you are shooting HIGH, then you need a shorter rear sight or a taller front sight.

AmeriGlo offers a variety of rear sights (plain black and tritium) in the following heights:
    .256", .271", .287", .311", .393" (6.5mm, 6.9mm, 7.3mm, 7.9mm, 10.0mm)

AmeriGlo offers a variety of front sights (plain, serrated, white dot, tritium) in the following heights:
    .165" (standard factory height), .180", .200", .220", .240", .260", .280", .300", .315", .330", .350"

You will need to know your current sight heights to correctly replace it.
    -- The standard height of a Glock plastic front sight is .165". (measure only the sight blade)
    -- Glock offers a variety of rear sights, indicated with a series of dashes. Glock refers to these heights as +0 (6.5mm), +1 (6.9mm)."
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    One set of Fixed sights won't give you the same point of impact with
    multiple guns/calibers.

READ BELOW...Ameriglo...

" If you are shooting LOW, then you need a taller rear sight or a shorter front sight.
    -- If you are shooting HIGH, then you need a shorter rear sight or a taller front sight.

AmeriGlo offers a variety of rear sights (plain black and tritium) in the following heights:
    .256", .271", .287", .311", .393" (6.5mm, 6.9mm, 7.3mm, 7.9mm, 10.0mm)

AmeriGlo offers a variety of front sights (plain, serrated, white dot, tritium) in the following heights:
    .165" (standard factory height), .180", .200", .220", .240", .260", .280", .300", .315", .330", .350"

You will need to know your current sight heights to correctly replace it.
    -- The standard height of a Glock plastic front sight is .165". (measure only the sight blade)
    -- Glock offers a variety of rear sights, indicated with a series of dashes. Glock refers to these heights as +0 (6.5mm), +1 (6.9mm)."
    I read this as well on AmeriGlo's site. The sights I have on both pistols are +0. According to their Sight Calculator, the 23's sights need to be adjusted by .095, and the 26 .090. Based on those calculations, there is no sight that fits those specifications. I guess I could have a gunsmith mill them if this is indeed the problem.

As for user error, it's possible. I'll admit I am no "Jack Bauer", but I do believe I understand the basics well enough to put the bullet where it is supposed to go. Maybe I need to loosen my grip a tad so that my left (support) hand isn't drawing me off line.

Administrator
    In that case, I'll bet my next paycheck it is user error. Low and left is the most common error in pistol shooting. I'd also find a new "instructor".
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ammo can also be a problem. my self defense ammo, +P loads, will have a different point of impact than 115 gr or 124 gr FMJ.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    Ammo can also be a problem. my self defense ammo, +P loads, will have a different point of impact than 115 gr or 124 gr FMJ.
    4" at 7 yards though? That is a classic flinch and poor trigger control case. I've seen it and fixed it a million times.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    4" at 7 yards though? That is a classic flinch and poor trigger control case. I've seen it and fixed it a million times.
    Agreed...And just because someone is an NRA instructor doesn't mean they're an expert shot...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Ain't that the truth. Sixto, do you recommend anything else besides dryfire practice to correct a flinch? - and what type of practice regimen do you reccomend?

Thanks.

A change in sights almost always demands a change in sight picture/hold. Adapt, move them, or get something else.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I missed the 7 yard part. Thanks for clearing it up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links