Went and Checked out a PPS and a P239 in 40 cal today!

This is a discussion on Went and Checked out a PPS and a P239 in 40 cal today! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, recent threads on the P239 and PPS, both in 40 cal had me going to my gun shop today to check them out. I ...

Thread: Went and Checked out a PPS and a P239 in 40 cal today!

Went and Checked out a PPS and a P239 in 40 cal today!

Ok, recent threads on the P239 and PPS, both in 40 cal had me going to my gun shop today to check them out.

I liked the trigger of the P239 but the gun was fairly large for a single stack, and yes I know that would help with recoil.

The PPS was slim, and nice in the hand, but I thought the trigger was "mushy".

I want a 40, thought I wanted a single stack and think I still do but here are my questions for those who have these guns (also I once had a Glock 27 and it was too snappy for me, my 15 year old Sigma in 40 is not too snappy for me)

1. Is it really that much different to go to a double stack SIG, I will only carry OWB? If not a big deal, any suggestions (my hands are normal, not double stack large!)
    2. How does the PPS handle recoil, much differently than a Glock 27?
    3. I may want to CCW but not necessarily but would like to keep that option open, so the bigger 40's are not for me
    4. Yes, I have and love Glocks, but was looking for something different.

Thanks and all comments are welcomed. Cheers!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Ok, recent threads on the P239 and PPS, both in 40 cal had me going to my gun shop today to check them out.

I liked the trigger of the P239 but the gun was fairly large for a single stack, and yes I know that would help with recoil.

The PPS was slim, and nice in the hand, but I thought the trigger was "mushy".

I want a 40, thought I wanted a single stack and think I still do but here are my questions for those who have these guns (also I once had a Glock 27 and it was too snappy for me, my 15 year old Sigma in 40 is not too snappy for me)

1. Is it really that much different to go to a double stack SIG, I will only carry OWB? If not a big deal, any suggestions (my hands are normal, not double stack large!)
    3. I may want to CCW but not necessarily but would like to keep that option open, so the bigger 40's are not for me
    4. Yes, I have and love Glocks, but was looking for something different.

Thanks and all comments are welcomed. Cheers!
    For reasons of concealability the PPS wins hands down. My PPS is as reliable as any Sig I've ever owned and it carries 10x better. I have the PPS in both 9mm and .40 and I find myself carrying the 9mm almost exclusively. Not sure why (maybe it's because I bought the 9mm first) but I just love the PPS.

VIP Member
    Harley I have carried my SIG P226 IWB and never considered it too wide (especially since I have been known to carry a k-frame IWB also), the reason I bought the P239 recently was I no longer was in love with the SA XDsc it replaced, and have never been that enamored with polymer framed firearms anyway, I like the weight of the SIGs, and carrying IWB they feel very secure. I still have a SA XD 4", I bought last december, still not sure what I am going to do with it, I'm leaning towards a SIG P220. The P239 isn't all that thinner than the XDsc, but I liked how it felt in my hand, which aren't large either. Have you considered a P229 SAS, you could get some Hogue g10 grips for it or aluminum grips, I understand these help reduce the width some, just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Harley I have carried my SIG P226 IWB and never considered it too wide (especially since I have been known to carry a k-frame IWB also), the reason I bought the P239 recently was I no longer was in love with the SA XDsc it replaced, and have never been that enamored with polymer framed firearms anyway, I like the weight of the SIGs, and carrying IWB they feel very secure. I still have a SA XD 4", I bought last december, still not sure what I am going to do with it, I'm leaning towards a SIG P220. The P239 is all that thinner than the XDsc, but I liked how it felt in my hand, which aren't large either. Have you considered a P229 SAS, you could get some Hogue g10 grips for it or aluminum grips, I understand these help reduce the width some, just a suggestion.
    I really thought the double stacks would be too big for me (yet I have a Glock 19, 26 and 30 and have zero issues with them...duh????) so I looked only at single stacks. But yes, I think I need to expand the research for double stacks.

Also, I have a SIG Mosquito for my step son and it is the only SIG I own...and I have heard such great things that I am thinking I should really give them a try. My only concern is that I have gotten so used to a "no safety" manual of arms (Kahr PM9, Glocks, LCP) that I worry the extra decocker/safeties may bother me...BUT I loved the trigger for a DA/SA on the 239 today that I held.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    I'm not sure, but i think the SIGs aren't much wider than a glock, it is very close in width to my XD.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I'm not sure, but i think the SIGs aren't much wider than a glock, it is very close in width to my XD.
    There is one dealer I wont buy from here that has a full supply of SIG's and I guess Iwill go check out the 229's and others.....and compare to Glocks. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    1. I have pretty large hands. Can't answer for a double stack Sig as I've never fired one but I do know that even though it is a very accurate handgun, I'm not crazy about my Beretta 92 because I think the grip area is way to thick. I really think it's mostly what your personal perspective is and the only way to tell is to fire one.

2. Can't compare it to a Glock as I've never fired a Glock, but I have no problem with the recoil on my PPS 40 and my wife has no problem with her PPS 9mm. Because of the relative thinness of the grip they are spreading the recoil over a much smaller portion of your palm than some other guns, but I don't find it objectionable at all.

I'm surprised you found the PPS trigger mushy. Both of mine have very good triggers with what I believe is one of the shortest resets of any pistol I've shot. However, I do believe it's a trigger that you actually have to fire to get a feel for. Dry firing (with no slide movement thus no reset) really doesn't tell the whole story.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Try the Kahr P9. To me as slim and comfortable as any that I own. I have a Glock G30 and Springer XD sc40 and nothingf carries like my Kahr. I like the trigger although it is a little long.

i have a Kahr...I am looking for something different. But thanks!

ctm
    I have a P239 SAS .40 and I really love it. I also looked at the XD/SC and PPS but went with the SIG...probably because my favorite handgun of all time is my P220 (which is my bedside HD gun).

The P220 was just a little too large for carry (without printing) unless wearing a coat or jacket (which is rare for me).

Now I carry the 239 almost exclusively...occasionally I'll throw the 442 in my front pocket for a quick trip out.

My Sig P239 SAS II and my PM9 are my two carry guns. I love the feel, size, and shootability of the 239.

As I have stated here before ( I believe) I had to start with a lower caliber due to a shooting side neck/nerve injury.

I got a PPK from a friend for near give away price (thanks dude)

I then moved up to the PPS-9 which I found even easier to conceal and fire. The same friend got the PPS 40.

We recently fired and while I had read a lot about the 40 being much more snappy than the 9....I did not find that to be the case....I must say we kinda forgot to bring much ammo for the 40 so I didnt fire it much. But I did not feel the difference I was expecting.

I do however LOVE my PPS 9. The only downside is capacity and it only comes with one mag. The 9 will take an 8 round mag but I have had two of those ordered since I laid the thing away and have not got them as of yet.

During one of my trips to the "Shootin Place" I saw the Ruger SR9 and put it on layaway....it isnt much bigger than the PPS's but is a little in length of grip and barrel, yet it is still very slim and comes with two 17 round mags and is much less expensive than the PPS's.

I am hoping to pick that one up in the next few weeks and I think I will be done buying for awhile......well you know how that goes.

I can not speak for any of the others as I have never fired them. I can say I have never picked up a Glock that "felt" right. And it seems to me that most all the Sigs have really thick grips. My hands I think are of normal size and none of them seemed to fit well.

I read daily on the gun sites and the Sigs do seem to be quite popular with those who have them, I have never read any negative stuff other than some folks thinking as I that they are kinda thick.

Well that is my 1.5 cents.......the economy ya know?
    Retired US Army/Disabled
    Tennessee in the Republic of the USA
    A Handgun Carry Permit is but a small piece of plastic, but it is a HUGE leap in personal and civic Responsibility!

I've had the PPS 40 for almost two years and its my daily carry. I also have a Glock 27, like it, but almost always go to the PPS. The PPS is noticably easier to handle than the Glock 27. I'm not that experienced, but the easier recoil is more than noticable to me. I carry the PPS 40 IWB with a Bullard Dual Carry at the 4:00 position, and took others advice and bought a heavy belt. The double weight from Cabelas is great, with good support and perfect with the holster.

My vote is the PPS 40. Never ad a problem.

Links