Corbon DPX almost killed me.

This is a discussion on Corbon DPX almost killed me. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a friend buy a new box of Corbon at the range, and he went out to try it. One of the rounds was ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corbon DPX almost killed me.

I had a friend buy a new box of Corbon at the range, and he went out to try it. One of the rounds was a squib, but the staff were able to drive it out with a wooden dowel. He was shooting a revolver, and the bullet jammed between the cylinder and barrel; the gun was basically locked up! That is a scary thought with premium self-defense ammo.
    Last edited by swiftyjuan; November 15th, 2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: lousy language structure
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    It will happen with any ammo if you do not ensure that you dry the face of the slide, dry the firing pin, and the chamber after cleaning and oiling. It can cause the primer to only partially ignite and fail to ignite the powder.

This can occur with most of the penetrating oils, especially if you use the same rounds, kept in the chamber for say......7 months!

Is the copper jacket on your bullets corroded/hazed? The picture looks like it, but photos can be deceptive.
    Horsehockey. This is an urban shooting myth that won't die. You would have to spray oil or solvents directly into the primer or open case mouth to have any negative effect on either primer or powder.

Take a look at the following for the truth.

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

I don't have any published results, but a couple of friends and I did the same thing about 20 years ago with exactly the same results as the BOT.

You are correct about a dry chamber and rounds, but not for the reason you mentioned. Oil on a case or inside the chamber can cause the case not to properly grip the chamber walls as the case expands during firing, resulting in the case setting back against the bolt/slide face.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    I tried knocking it out with one of the steel cleaning rods I have, no dice. That round is really in there.
    A cleaning rod is WAY too flexible and too small in diameter. You want a hardwood dowel or brass rod that is a slip fit into the barrel, inserted from the chamber end. The barrel should be in a vice. It shouldn't take more than a few taps with a hammer to drive the bullet out.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Send a copy of the funsmith/s bill to Corbon with a demand that they reimburse you. Also tell them that you discussed it here and learned of another member with a squib round and ask if their quality control is really that shoddy!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Doesn't really pertain to this situation but I'll throw this out anyway since we're discussing removal of a stuck bullet.

If you stick a bullet with a pointed nose in a rifle (or pistol for that matter), DO NOT use a wooden dowel and try and drive it out from the muzzle end. The pointed bullet will drive into the wooden dowel like a splitting wedge into a log and you'll end up with the bullet and dowel both stuck in the barrel. For this reason, I like to use only a brass rod to drive out a stuck bullet.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Maybe it's time to switch to HST's.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Any and every manmade item will at some point fail, even man himself.

I'm glad you discovered this during a non-lethal time, as the other could've been disasterous to your well being. Change your grip, get some new ammo and get a BUG!

Glad you're OK. I've had a "squib" before, and they are not fun. Of the two times I've had a revolver fail on me, one was because of a "squib". Take care and stay safe.

Biker

It's great that you were observant enough to notice the difference and not get hurt. A lot of people that own guns wouldn't have thought twice about it and pulled the trigger again.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    did it eject the spent shell and chamber another round? I haven't had a squib round yet but that often made me wonder if it would happen?

I could see a dangerous situation if it was a revolver as it will index to another round but with a semi auto it relys on gas pressures to operate instead of clockwork mechanisms wheel guns use.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I tried knocking it out with one of the steel cleaning rods I have, no dice. That round is really in there.
    I had a squib jam up my 9mm awhile back, and having no experience with it I called an old salty gun nut in my network of friends. He recommended saturating the barrel with CLP, waiting for awhile, and then removing it with a dowel and a mallet. Since I had no luck on my own I tried it.

After about a 30 minute soak with CLP it tapped right out. You might give that a try.

FWIW, I shoot from a Weaver as well. Practice for awhile with your off hand wrapped over your strong hand and it will become second nature and make your recovery for the next shot faster. It felt odd t me at first but then started to feel like an extreme version of holding a golf club.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

You don't need a smith for this, if you can get a dowel rod into the breech end this is always better but not always possible. I will spray the barrel with a bunch of PB Blaster and let soak for a day or so, then take a wooden dowel just smaller than the bore and smack it hard with a hard rubber mallet, it will take a lot to get it moving so have the barrel braced for the impact. This can happen with any ammo, I had it happen with Winchester 44 mag, glad I heard it as well. The fault is probably that of the primer and this may or may not be made by Corbon? Just make sure you point blame in the right direction.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

As stated before...your stance and grip is way off. This is a VERY common mistake and one that MUST be fixed. I gaurantee you that your shooting will improve once you correct these errors.

BOTH elbows should be locked.
    Strong hand pushing forward on grip with weak hand covering strongs fingers with knuckles interlocked.
    Weak hand should be pulling back and rotated/cocked a bit forward/down.
    Also, many would argue that proper Weaver stance should shift your weight forward...I don't really put much stock in stance over upper body control...stance is more personal, but I don't think upper body gun control varies that much from shooter to shooter.

Sorry for the ramblings and off subject nature...

This will greatly enhance the stability of your shooting platform and aid in better accuracy!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    did it eject the spent shell and chamber another round? I haven't had a squib round yet but that often made me wonder if it would happen?
    I've had 2 squib loads in my life. In both situations the gun did not cycle, it just went pop instead of boom. The second time I knew exactly what had happened. It just feels odd, is not as loud as expected but still makes some noise. Just don't do the tap-rack-bang drill if you hear/feel the primer go off and you'll be fine.

I was able to knock the bullet out with a wooded dowel by inserting the dowel in the end of the barrel (pushing the bullet back the way it came seemed best), wrapping a towel around the barrel (to protect my hand) and then gripping the barrel and slamming the dowel down on the table. Took a couple good hits and it popped right out.

Since this was just target ammo, I was more concerned about a double-charged round. If they could forget to put powder in one case, did they double charge the next? Not being a reloader, I don't know. Is there enough room in a 40 caliber case for double powder of a target load? How about other rounds?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye_Defender View Post
    Since this was just target ammo, I was more concerned about a double-charged round. If they could forget to put powder in one case, did they double charge the next? Not being a reloader, I don't know. Is there enough room in a 40 caliber case for double powder of a target load? How about other rounds?
    Depending on the powder used but YES you can double charge a pistol case. In fact a .45 normal charge for a 230g FMJ is about 5 grains. You can fit a LOT more then twice that in the case. A .223 cal with 55g FMJ is about 25 grains of varget powder you could not physically fit more then 30 grains in the case.

pistol and rife powder are different and can not be substituted for each other either. Reloading safely is a chore... That is why I would be leary about buying reloaded pistol ammo.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've had a few squibs in my life,usually the bullet depth in the barrel means that either there was no powder and the primer had enough powder to propel the bullet or you had a really weak powder charge,in a SA the gun will usually not cycle a new round or jam,anytime you feel a round has a lighter recoil than the previous round or only hear a pop stop shooting,clear the weapon,and inspect the barrel for an obstruction,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links