Corbon DPX almost killed me.

This is a discussion on Corbon DPX almost killed me. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be damned. Just read the Box 'o Truth and it is interesting. I had a few of m reloads go bad (primers) from oil ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corbon DPX almost killed me.

Distinguished Member
    I'll be damned. Just read the Box 'o Truth and it is interesting. I had a few of m reloads go bad (primers) from oil in my youth that were no doubt from CLP but this is new info. Guess I won't be as paranoid!
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

2. Remove Ads

Oooooo...bad. And new better bullets too. I had a bad cheap 9mm reload bullet get stuck inside the barrel of one of my pistols after the casing expanded and jammed it. A gunsmith had to pound the round back out. It is amazing that it does not happen more often, really, factories working overtime and producing them by the millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    I'll be damned. Just read the Box 'o Truth and it is interesting. I had a few of m reloads go bad (primers) from oil in my youth that were no doubt from CLP but this is new info. Guess I won't be as paranoid!
    Yea, it is interesting. Oil and solvents around primers not yet inserted into a primer pocket or in a primed, but unfinished round IS generally bad news. Once in the primer pocket and the bullet seated, the round id pretty much impervious to damage from oil and solvents, except maybe under really strange circumstances.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Well I sent Corbon an email I will let you guys know how they handle the situation.

To answer a few questions, the gun cycled just fine and was ready to fire. I had to de-cock it to clear the live round. I was a trigger pull away from a pipe bomb.

Secondly this was most certainly Corbon ammo, it had the Corbon head stamp for the main reason.

Also I'm not sure but one of the spent cases I found was scored all to holy hell and was bent around the top edges. I only recovered 2 of 4 spent cases so it might not be the case from the squib round but its something to think about.

I really loving all the advice from everyone on my stance and grip, I will definitely work on changing that before the next match. I'm surprised no one at the KPDL matches ever said anything in the 5 months I've been there.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

You're the competition :).

Use a heavy mallet, not a 16oz hammer when knocking the bullet out. (don't know if that's been said yet)

While we're picking apart the photo.. in a purely non-judgemental way of course,

I had the experience of driving between some shooters and their targets while out Jeepin'. Came around a bend and saw them raise their muzzles. Thought that if it were a kid on a dirtbike they might have had less time to react.

Shooting across a road might be a generally bad idea.

Glad your squib event worked out in your favor. I had it happen to my Walther p22, which was VERY finicky about the type of ammo it'd eat to start with, and when I heard the 'piff', I was glad I looked too.

Regards.

Since the gun cycled I would say you had a round with a light load in it. A primer itself usually won't have the energy to cycle the weapon. Either way the results are the same. Did you get the bullet out? Follow my instructions and use the money you save to buy more ammo, just not Corbon.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I guess they all have crystal balls or something.

Mine are brass.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Mine are brass.
    and mine are steel
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    I didn't keep the same round chambered for 7 months they were rotated often as I went to the range or to compete. I knew my grip wasn't standard I'll have to work on that next range trip. Thanks for the advice!

BTW how much should I expect to pay to have that round removed?
    Curious if you might have had a case of setback due to too much cycling. Not sure if a squib round is a typical result of setback.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Squib rounds are usually caused by low powder charge. In some competition circles squibs and blown guns are common due to intentional low powder charges. From looking at how far the bullet made it down the barrel I would guess that you had a low powder charge.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Alright, here are the pictures of the left over rounds and pictures of the case. I will be shipping these off to Corbon once I get the bullet removed from the barrel. Corbon did offer to replace my ammo with a brand new box. So that was nice. I'll keep you all posted.

I'm not sure what caused the marred case. I've never seen anything like it.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    I'm not sure what caused the marred case. I've never seen anything like it.
    You may have limp-wristed it due to your grip and had a near-stovepipe. That one probably got pinched by the slide, but popped out of the way and gun returned to battery.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Curious if you might have had a case of setback due to too much cycling. Not sure if a squib round is a typical result of setback.
    Bullet setback results in potentially increased pressure; there's no way it would decrease the pressure, which is what a squib load results from.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I think what caused the damage was, that it was not ejected as it should have been due to a low or non-existent powder charge. Therefore it got caught by the slide on the exit.
    -Hybridz.org

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links