Corbon DPX almost killed me.

This is a discussion on Corbon DPX almost killed me. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the story. I just bought a new 9mm and retired my tried and true Firestorm .380 with its 7 month old Corbon DPX ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corbon DPX almost killed me.

Here is the story. I just bought a new 9mm and retired my tried and true Firestorm .380 with its 7 month old Corbon DPX ammo. I planned on using up that ammo along with some other "old" stock ammo I had laying around at a local shooting match this past weekend. However my new S&W 3913 came in earlier that I expected so I used that in place of my .380. Boy am I glad I did. After the match I went home and decided to go ahead and shoot up my old carry ammo. Keep in mind that I depended on these rounds for 6-7 months. I fired the 1st 3 rounds and upon firing the 4th I felt something that I can only describe as odd. I have never experienced a squib load before but I knew something just wasn't right. I broke down the weapon and sure enough there was a 90 grain DPX round half way down my barrel. It was a very good thing that I was using slow fire and not the rapid fire that shooting .380 in a steel match requires. Otherwise I would be typing with 8 fingers right now instead of 10. The round is still jammed in the barrel I could not get it out, so it will go into the smith in the morning and Corbon will get an unhappy letter from me. It should not matter that I carried this ammo for 6-7 months it should still fire and not threaten my life. I have the last four rounds and was able to find two of the fired cases. I am debating sending the left over ammo with my unhappy letter. Anyway the pictures are posted below. I thought I'd see what you guys thought.

BTW I do not have the lot number for the ammo

"The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

That sucks really bad.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    The very reason a lot of individuals carry a back up weapon. Anything made by the hand of man is likely to fail and always at some inopportune moment.:)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    The very reason a lot of individuals carry a back up weapon. Anything made by the hand of man is likely to fail and always at some inopportune moment.:)
    I dunno... A lot of people here feel there is absolutely NO reason what so ever to carry a back-up weapon! I guess they all have crystal balls or something.

I'm not of that opinion. I always have a BUG or two.

Datsun40146 Very glad you weren't injured! +1 for paying attention to what was going on with the gun and noticing the squib!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

JD
    Administrator

Keep that support hand up on the grip for more control, up above is "tea cupping" and is a poorly executed grip.

As for the squib, I haven't had one YET and only hope that I notice it when it does happen.

Thanks for the advice JD I will keep that in mind. I know my arms should be extended with my elbows locked in the proper 'weaver" stance, but my stance works just fine. My right arm is locked with the left acting as support.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have no exp. with Corbon but squib rounds in factory ammo by
    major manufacturers are exceedingly rare.

Still , crap happens - lucky you caught it.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

ctm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I guess they all have crystal balls or something.
    Hmmm......

VIP Member
    It will happen with any ammo if you do not ensure that you dry the face of the slide, dry the firing pin, and the chamber after cleaning and oiling. It can cause the primer to only partially ignite and fail to ignite the powder.

This can occur with most of the penetrating oils, especially if you use the same rounds, kept in the chamber for say......7 months!

Is the copper jacket on your bullets corroded/hazed? The picture looks like it, but photos can be deceptive.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    Thanks for the advice JD I will keep that in mind. I know my arms should be extended with my elbows locked in the proper 'weaver" stance, but my stance works just fine. My right arm is locked with the left acting as support.
    Elbow cocked or locked is a different issue. You need to use a wrap around grip with both hands, not the teacup as mentioned above. You can still cock the elbow with a proper grip. Your grip should look like this. See how you can't even see the trigger or even the trigger guard? Now compare to your photo.

Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Glad your ok.

I didn't keep the same round chambered for 7 months they were rotated often as I went to the range or to compete. I knew my grip wasn't standard I'll have to work on that next range trip. Thanks for the advice!

BTW how much should I expect to pay to have that round removed?
    -Hybridz.org

EW3
    Glad you didn't blow the gun up!

+1000 on trying out the "thumbs forward" grip and ditching the "teacup" grip, it has worked phenomenally well for me. Takes a little getting used to, but now it's seconds nature for me when I pick up my SIGs and HK.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I have had a squib round before and used a wooden dowel rod and mallet to drive the bullet out. If you are uneasy about it though you should take it to a smith.
    Glad you noticed and are ok, good luck.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I tried knocking it out with one of the steel cleaning rods I have, no dice. That round is really in there.
    -Hybridz.org

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links