Defensive Carry banner

XD or 1911

2K views 24 replies 24 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
Ok guys, MY mind is in turmoil here, I love my 1911's and am considering getting another one! I was thinking along the lines of a commander, but I have this annoying alarm that keeps going off in the back of my head telling me I need to go with something that has more then 8-10 rds!!! When I get this alarm that won't stop in the back of my head I listen to it,even though I hate to give up the purchase of my 1911. I was thinking of a double stack or an XD.
I handled a full size one the other day at the gun shop and it felt pretty close to the feel of my 1911,I wish he would of had a 4" Xd there but that's all he had at the time. so some feedback please.How's the reliability on these,I wouldn't mind a Glock but I compared the two and the Glock just didn't fit my hand like the XD did!Hows the accuracy on them compared to the 1911's? Words of wisdom on the triggers?Do most of you get trigger jobs done on these?Let me here the good and the bad! Thanks

#2 ·
Are you considering this as a new carry piece, or something for fun?

For carry, the XD's have always seemed kind of bulky to me. I know plenty of people do it on a daily basis, but the 1911 is a slimmer weapon, and actually rather easy to conceal with a good holster.

What caliber are you looking at the XD in, as they have the XDM's out in 9mm and .40, which are supposed to be match grade guns (I believe).

I don't have a problem with 7+1 in my 1911s, but that is just personal preference. Another option, if you are ok with that sort of capacity and want to bump the price up a bit from an XD, is a Sig 220.

#3 ·
I have both. I retired my 1911 Commander to the safe. It's to be my son's gun so getting it confiscated after a shoot (good or bad) no longer became an option. He has always wanted that gun. I now carry the XD45 compact and love it even though it is a bit heavier.
The trigger is tricky. It will never be as good as a 1911, but nothing else will either. And yes I got a complete action job done on it and couldnt be happier. But it will take some getting used to on the trigger.

#5 ·
The XD's are great guns. I have a 4 inch service model. I will hopefully be getting an XDm soon as well. The trigger isn't bad on the XD but you can get a spring and sear kit to improve the trigger. I carry mine in the woods but it is too bulky to carry concealed and fully loaded with 12 rounds it is quite heavy. Lots of other guns are fun to play with but nothing beats a 1911 as a CCW.

#6 ·
I couldn't be happier with my XD45 Tactical. It shoots point-of-aim and groups very well as long as the shooter does their part. It's eaten every type of ammo I've tried without a hitch. It can be concealed with some effort, but it's not t-shirt and shorts kind of concealable, it is a very large pistol. I imagine the XD45 compact or compact tactical would be much easier to conceal, as it always seems to be the long grip that's a problem. For my purposes it works great, usually worn in a shoulder rig while out hunting, or in the nightstand.

13+1 of 45acp.....yes, i think so :danceban:

#7 ·
I went through the same thought processes...I went with the XDM-9 instead of the standard XD

Part 1

Part 2

Regarding the size differences of the 1911 vs the XDM, here some pics to provide a decent reference.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...ccw-i-think-not-xdm-size-comparison-pics.html

Regarding the trigger, I am thinking about upgrading the trigger, when I first started shooting the XDM I had an issue with short stroking the trigger, took me a couple hundred rounds to get used to it and improve my trigger control. Too many years of shooting really nice triggers will do that I guess.

Accuracy wise, I couldn't be happier with my "M", I will probably shoot that at my next IDPA match and compare my results to my last two matches where I was shooting my 1911. But as I've been shooting the 1911 more over the last few months, the XDM may have a slight disadvantage. I know when I work the plate rack the results are about the same.

There is no right or wrong answer as to "which is better" each one fills the roll nicely. It's nice to have more ammunition on tap and when i look at the weight differences, there IS a big difference.

Here's some specs I obtained.
1.18 frame width.
1.28" frame to slide release

XDM weight measurements with 124gr HSTs
Fully loaded: 19+1 2lbs .51oz
Mag loaded to 19: 11.2oz
Gun Empty: 1lbs.094oz

Overall length is about 8".

Are there some things I would change on the XD, sure. But I wanted a gun that didn't need a lot of "fluff' and carried a ton of cartridges. The XDM was it for me. The trigger can be better with upgraded parts, and I think the rear sight notch need to be wider, other than that I'm happy with it. The fact that I've had it for almost a year and it's still stock indicates that in my book it's good enough as is.

#8 ·
I have always carried Makarovs and decided to go with a larger caliber. I ended up buying an XD40-SC and about 5 holsters. In the end, I couldn't get over the width/thickness of the darn thing. My Steyr S40 was the same and I have since gone back to the Makarov temporarily. I recently picked up a 1911 Officer's model and will be transitioning to carrying it after a few hundred more rounds are sent downrange. See if you can borrow a Glock, XD, Steyr, etc... and carry it for a few days. You might decide that theu are just too thick for you as well.

#9 ·
..I need to go with something that has more then 8-10 rds!!!
...Comes with a 13+1 mag and a 16+1 extended mag...
Ah yes, the old round capacity debate.

A debate which is moot here in the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia), where among the various ways in which our 2nd amendment rights are routinely infringed upon is the limitation of "10" for new purchases by civilians.

#10 ·
I have the XD 45 Compact. I rotate it in the carry rotation with my Sig P220 carry Elite. If you lay the guns on top of each other they are partically the same size, and width. All of my holsters will accept either gun. The XD has over 2000 rounds of all type of ammo run thru it with no malfunctions. Cant say the same for the Sig. As accurate as the Sig. Carry it every other month. Trust my life with it. Besides if it is confiscated it is easier replaced.

#11 ·
9mm bullets are cheaper than .45 caliber ones for guns to be used for target practice and fun, and more of them can be in magazines. So...why in the hell would I one day buy a brand-new big stainless steel 1911 Colt .45, someday soon, just because it looks shiny and pretty? I know better! I do!:tired:

#12 ·
Ok guys, MY mind is in turmoil here, I love my 1911's and am considering getting another one! I was thinking along the lines of a commander, but I have this annoying alarm that keeps going off in the back of my head telling me I need to go with something that has more then 8-10 rds!!! When I get this alarm that won't stop in the back of my head I listen to it,even though I hate to give up the purchase of my 1911. I was thinking of a double stack or an XD.
I handled a full size one the other day at the gun shop and it felt pretty close to the feel of my 1911,I wish he would of had a 4" Xd there but that's all he had at the time. so some feedback please.How's the reliability on these,I wouldn't mind a Glock but I compared the two and the Glock just didn't fit my hand like the XD did!Hows the accuracy on them compared to the 1911's? Words of wisdom on the triggers?Do most of you get trigger jobs done on these?Let me here the good and the bad! Thanks
Your post leads me to believe that you already have at least one 1911. Go ahead and give an XD a try. You already know you like the 1911, plus XDs have a good reputation, you can unload it later, if you don't like it. I have a Taurus 1911 and an XDsc9. I carry them both, I like them both. I have no complaints about the XD trigger.

#13 ·
Buy them both!

I prefer the XD as slightly simpler to use (no thumb safety) and much simpler to clean.
.45 ACP is .45 ACP

And, just to raise some ruckus among 1911ers :gah: since ACP doesn't have the punch of a real 45 Colt, I'd rather have significantly more than a 6-gun worth of the little rounds :gah:

#14 ·
I carried a custom Colt series 70 1911 for over 25 years, on duty and off, open and concealed - plus two extra mags. Now retired and working as a NC Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission CCH Instructor, I advocate DAO. I selected a custom S&W M&P .40. While it lacks the grip safety of the XD, I find it a better shooter. I now carry a Para 7-45 LDA.
FBI agents now carry PDX1 rounds in .40 S&W. Their hostage rescue team carry the double stack Para .45 ACP which I believe are single action. I still prefer the 230 gn. Gold Dot. The FBI Firearms Training Unit published that "penetration was paramount and of those that would penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet." The only reason to carry a concealed handgun is not to be carrying it, but to have it available if you ever need to use it. In selecting a carry handgun, let that be your guide.

#15 ·
I have an XD45 service, and bought it for all the reasons you mention. It points naturally for me, has never had a hiccup, is extremely accurate and carries 13 rounds of 45acp... I have Glocks, 1911's Kahr's, wheelguns and an XD...I like them all, but that XD is my house/nightstand gun...

The only thing I would change today is I would buy the compact 45, to make it a little easier to carry...

#16 ·
When it comes down to a choice between two guns, buy it.

#18 ·
I would be getting another 1911 of some sort way long before I'd even consider an XD. That's just me though. If you gave me an XD.........I'd probably trade it for something I really wanted or even make up the price difference.

#19 ·
John M. Browning,(and I suspect God also), came up with perfect self defense weapon almost 100 years ago. It has served with distinction on battlefields all over the world for all that time and still does so today and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

Why in the world would anyone want to spend good money for something less ? Unless you just want it to play with, I would say ,follw your head and get you another 1911---.45ACP of course !!!!! Anything less could get you hurt.

#20 ·
I carry an XD 4", I just started carrying recently so I'm still very "aware" of it on my 3:30. I've been told by close friends that they would have never guessed it was there untill I had asked if they noticed it. Each day I carry it feels more and more natural.

I love my XD, but I recently shot my first 1911 (Para LTC Gun Blog 9) and I fell in love. My groupings at 25 feet are atleast half the size w/ the 1911 than they are w/ the XD. Of course I credit this to trigger control and plan to have my XD worked over.

When I can afford it I will be getting a 1911 and the XD will become my nightstand gun.

#21 ·
My first gun was a 1911. My second was an XD45c. I just sold my 1911. For me, the XD was a better gun. I liked the simplicity of the XD and I shot better with it. I also decided that I did not like the thumb safety on the 1911. Plus I liked the polymer over all metal. I'd say give the XD a try, you won't be disappointed!

#22 ·
Look close at what JD said, I really want an XDM9mm. They feel awesome and thin for a double stack. My next new full size pistol purchase will be XDM9.

#24 ·
I have a number of 1911's which I carry from time to time. The concern about the thickness of the XD is somewhat valid. On the other hand what can you expect from a double stack XD45 Service. If you want the round count of a 45ACP the extra thickness is inevitable. I carry mine in a
CTAC by Comp-Tac and the flexibility of the design of this holster allows for a nearly infinite number carry positions. I cant mine forward and wear it deep down and the thickness issue (for me) disappears altogether. Whatever works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.