XD or 1911

This is a discussion on XD or 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When it comes down to a choice between two guns, buy it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XD or 1911

VIP Member
    When it comes down to a choice between two guns, buy it.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Everyone needs an XD (ok, I'm biased).

If you want to carry it, get a Crossbreed Supertuck and you'll be a happy camper.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I would be getting another 1911 of some sort way long before I'd even consider an XD. That's just me though. If you gave me an XD.........I'd probably trade it for something I really wanted or even make up the price difference.

John M. Browning,(and I suspect God also), came up with perfect self defense weapon almost 100 years ago. It has served with distinction on battlefields all over the world for all that time and still does so today and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

Why in the world would anyone want to spend good money for something less ? Unless you just want it to play with, I would say ,follw your head and get you another 1911---.45ACP of course !!!!! Anything less could get you hurt.

I carry an XD 4", I just started carrying recently so I'm still very "aware" of it on my 3:30. I've been told by close friends that they would have never guessed it was there untill I had asked if they noticed it. Each day I carry it feels more and more natural.

I love my XD, but I recently shot my first 1911 (Para LTC Gun Blog 9) and I fell in love. My groupings at 25 feet are atleast half the size w/ the 1911 than they are w/ the XD. Of course I credit this to trigger control and plan to have my XD worked over.

When I can afford it I will be getting a 1911 and the XD will become my nightstand gun.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

My first gun was a 1911. My second was an XD45c. I just sold my 1911. For me, the XD was a better gun. I liked the simplicity of the XD and I shot better with it. I also decided that I did not like the thumb safety on the 1911. Plus I liked the polymer over all metal. I'd say give the XD a try, you won't be disappointed!

cmb
    Look close at what JD said, I really want an XDM9mm. They feel awesome and thin for a double stack. My next new full size pistol purchase will be XDM9.

Thanks for all the replies and input everyone, the only drawback I see on the XD from what was written was it's thickness! Living in Fl it might pose a problem, I'll have to go to the Gun Shop and see how it prints with my dress code!!!!

I have a number of 1911's which I carry from time to time. The concern about the thickness of the XD is somewhat valid. On the other hand what can you expect from a double stack XD45 Service. If you want the round count of a 45ACP the extra thickness is inevitable. I carry mine in a CTAC by Comp-Tac and the flexibility of the design of this holster allows for a nearly infinite number carry positions. I cant mine forward and wear it deep down and the thickness issue (for me) disappears altogether. Whatever works!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by grayowl View Post
    F Their hostage rescue team carry the double stack Para .45 ACP which I believe are single action.
    They haven't carried the Para's in a number of years, HRT carries the single stack, single action, Springfield Professional.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links