.410 derringer

This is a discussion on .410 derringer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have looked everywhere and I cant find out if A .410 derringer is considered a sawedoff shot gun ? I cant see them being ...

Thread: .410 derringer

.410 derringer

I have looked everywhere and I cant find out if A .410 derringer is considered a sawedoff shot gun ? I cant see them being sold thru f.f.l.'s if they were.

2. Remove Ads

I looked at a derringer type setup several years ago. It was designed to shoot both a Colt .45 and .410 shells. The only thing I can think is that you would shoot .410 slugs instead of shot. I am not sure how they were able to get around the "sawed off" legalities.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    They're still classed as a pistol. Same as if you'd shoot the birdshot loadings outta your pistol or revo. There are several companies that make a pistol/revo that will shoot the 2 1/2" .410 and the .45LC interchangeably. The bbls of these weapons are rifled so the .410 pattern is dismal. Any shotgun that is SHOULDER FIRED has gotta be 18" though.----------

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    They're still classed as a pistol. Same as if you'd shoot the birdshot loadings outta your pistol or revo. There are several companies that make a pistol/revo that will shoot the 2 1/2" .410 and the .45LC interchangeably. The bbls of these weapons are rifled so the .410 pattern is dismal. Any shotgun that is SHOULDER FIRED has gotta be 18" though.----------
    Don't they make a four pellet buckshot load for .410? If so in a derringer wouldn't that be decent at extremely close range?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Key word Riffle'd barell it's a hand gun and licensed as such by the maker, BTY I have one and with 3"mag's they kick like a mule.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    The buck loads that I have seen for the .410's are (IIRC)4,"000" pellets(.360"). Some of the loads are even metal cased. These are the 3" loading. These will not fit the chamber of some of the smaller handguns.-------

Senior Moderator
    as Sheldon J mentions...

The dual purpose derringer has a rifled barrel as does the .410/.45LC Contender barrel used for the same.

I've had both the derringer and the Contender barrel.Since they have rifled barrels,they are not classed as "sawed off shotguns".

The derringer was pretty accurate with a .45 LC, enough to consistently hit a coke can out to about 20 yards every time. After that, it was iffy.
    I used to shoot alot of .410 shot shells in it. At 10 yards it would shoot about a 3 foot pattern, as it opened up quickly due to the shot cup being spin by the rifled barrel.

The 3 inch .410 buckshot loads were laughable.That short barrel just didnt put much oomph on them. I shot a 1x12 board from 7 yards one time, one shot penetrated, one stuck in the board and the other one bounced off and whacked me in the knee. It hurt pretty good and left a bruise. I guess for a defensive load its better than throwing rocks....unless its a big rock...

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    The 3 inch .410 buckshot loads were laughable.That short barrel just didnt put much oomph on them. I shot a 1x12 board from 7 yards one time, one shot penetrated, one stuck in the board and the other one bounced off and whacked me in the knee. It hurt pretty good and left a bruise. I guess for a defensive load its better than throwing rocks....unless its a big rock...
    Wow! I guess that does make sense. Just not enough barrell length to make good velocity. Glad you weren't hurt on the "comebacker".
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Such a weapon is useless. Innaccurate, slow to reload, horrible recoil and a lack of control during recoil. There are better toys to spend your money on. If you want a .410 pistol, get the new Taurus revolver in .410.

Quote Originally Posted by George Hill
    Such a weapon is useless. Innaccurate, slow to reload, horrible recoil and a lack of control during recoil. There are better toys to spend your money on. If you want a .410 pistol, get the new Taurus revolver in .410.
    George, just curious, what could you tell me about the Taurus. Barrel length? Recoil? Price?

Bond Arms makes some really nice Derrengers in 45/.410

That Taurus might actually be fun to shoot clay birds with. It might improve your point and instinctive shooting skills. I wouldn't personally run out and buy one unless I won the lottery though.

Links