Defensive Carry banner

Advice on ruger p95DC

13K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  hogdaddy 
#1 ·
This is actually my first post on the forum even though I have been reading for about a month and I enjoy all of the tips and advice from all of you. I carry a glock 19 with a iwb mtac. Now the question about the ruger. My brother is looking for a carry gun and likes the p95. Our father has a p89 which my brother fell in love with. (I on the other hand do not like the straight grips).... Any ways what are your opinions on the p95 Decocker? And any suggestions for a iwb holster? (he is also a cheap person, so a comptac is out of the questions). Does anyone carry a p95 and pros and cons of it.

Much appreciated

(I am on my phone so it is a pain to search and I will not be by a computer for a few days)

#2 ·
P95

Several years ago I carried and shot IDPA matches with a P95. The pistol is completely reliable and accurate. Ruger stands by their products 100%. I could never master the D/S action and moved on to an XD. I now alternate between between XD and Hi-Power pistols. There is a lot to like about the Ruger P95.

-- Richard

#24 ·
Several years ago I carried and shot IDPA matches with a P95. The pistol is completely reliable and accurate. Ruger stands by their products 100%. I could never master the D/S action and moved on to an XD. I now alternate between between XD and Hi-Power pistols. There is a lot to like about the Ruger P95.
Although I generally carry a XD 40 sc, I still like my P95. Some folks think that the the P95 a little large for concealed carry. However, if his brother like it, I suggest that he go for it. In my book, for the money, the P95 is a best buy and is American made.

#3 ·
That was my very first firearm I ever bought, a Ruger P95 decocker model. It was inexpensive, ate what I fed it reliably, and fairly accurate. I'd have no problem telling someone to buy one for their first handgun.

Back then, the only real self-defense and duty ammo I knew about were federal hydrashocks, 124 grain variety. I've got no experiences with any other kind of hollowpoints in one though, so I can't really recommend any ammo. It did eat WWB and Speer lawman fmj's like they were candy though.

#4 ·
i have one

i admit it- i have a p95dc. it is great- easy to shoot, accurate, rugged, flawless. it is also ugly and i find it too large for concealed carry of any sort. but it is a very fine gun. it has never failed, not even once, in any respect. goods sights. mediocre trigger- lots of slop in it. but it is almost eerily accurate. no idea why.
i recommend it to anyone.
God Bless

#5 ·
Nothing wrong with the Ruger...very dependable, accurate, a good basic no-frills gun... If an MTAC is too much for your brother, he is limiting his choices severely... If he wants to carry IWB, he could try a High Noon 'Mr. Softy', IWB clip holster....I have a couple and are happy with them... They're $25...For OWB he could try Don Hume or Galco, for off the shelf holsters...There's always the cheap nylon holsters, but no one here is going to recommend them...

Oh Yeah...Welcome to the forum...:wave:

#6 ·
Thank you for your opinions. I'll share this information with him and try to get him to spend some money on a nice holster. I know I'm in love with my MTAC. Any other guns around the price range of $300-400 that you guys would suggest? He is set on a 9mm and roughly the size of my glock 19.

Thanks

#7 ·
I like the Ruger P series pistols actually. Had a P89DC for several years and it never failed me at the range. I never carried it. They may be nice and lightweight for carry, but just too chunky for me....thick and chunky. I would imagine there are plenty of folks who carry on them with a Ruger P series pistol, and I also imagine they are well served. I've never researched available holster options for them.

#8 ·
They are well built like a tank, and shoot excellent, but they would be really hard to conceal. Kinda bulky.

#9 ·
First, let me welcome you from Texas to DC!! :wave:

At 5'11", 195 lbs., I carry a Ruger P95 IWB daily & love it!!! I find it a perfect blend of cost, reliability, quality, simplicity, effectiveness, safety, rated for +P ammo, & 15+1 capacity. It's no bigger or heavier than any other conventional semi-auto with 4" barrel & double stack magazine, so it's not huge, but it's not small either, it is medium size & weight. I can tear it down to 7 main parts & re-assemble in just under 30 seconds with no tools, easy for cleaning & lubrication. I paid $300 ea. including S/H and FFL fee NIB.

After I had mine for 6 mos, I purchased a 2nd. P95 to stay at the house for my wife & 15 yr. old daughter when I'm not home, as I leave at 3:30 a.m. daily. Mine is blued, theirs is stainless. I've trained both on the P95 & they have both put about 200 rounds through the new one. I've put 1500+ rounds through mine & not 1 failure on either, once I got my daughter to stop "limp-wristing" & causing a couple stove pipes. This was a great opportunity to train on clearing jams, & also what was causing her jams & how to prevent limp-wrist jams. They both know where the spare is & what to do with it once in hand. If & when my wife ever carries, this would not be her choice ... too big / heavy, but she has no problem with it for home defense.

Both of mine are the version with the combination safety / decock lever. I like having a DA on the first shot for safety purposes, and SA on all follow-up shots, with a decock lever to drop the hammer down back to DA & safety condition when done. I also prefer a hammer that I can pull back for SA condition on the first shot if time & presence of mind permit.

Once holstered, I take the safety off to carry for the day in DA mode, ready to draw, point & shoot DA on first shot ASAP. As I unholster for bed, changing clothes, restroom, etc., I move the decock lever back to safety condition whenever I'm handling the gun un-holstered.

For IWB holster, I simply use a cheap generic nylon with a metal clip. It does the job that I need it to, but I have no other basis for comparison. Your brother will not be disappointed with the P95. I do recommend the safety / decock lever combo model over the decock only model just for the added level of safety.

#12 ·
I have a Don Hume for in the pants carry (brown leather)
and a Hunter for over pants carry (black leather)
for the Ruger P. Have a mulitude of non-gun specific holsters for other options.......

The Don Hume took a while to get, they custom made it by hand because they had stopped making it. They will still make them, but they are not off the shelve. I LOVE my Ruger.....its just hard to get acc. for and it is heavy. Best upgrade has been the Houge finger molded rubber grips. Just be careful, sometimes clothes stick to the rubber grips........

Attachments

#14 ·
I own a P89DC and I will add to the praises I have fired 500+ rounds of all kinds of ammo and it is reliable and accurate with never a failure. Mine is stainless and is my house gun. I have tried to carry it but it is to wide and thick for me... that said the update pseries is a little slimmer and not quite as heavy. I am not cheap but I call it thrifty... I use ace Case tuckable holsters, you can get them at cheaperthandirt.com for 10 bucks... I would try the large ambidextrous one which fits the P89 and the one which says it fits the ruger p series. The ambi one adds a little cant so depending on his carry position more vertical or cant sometimes make the difference...

Get a good belt too! I didn't spend a fortune, far from, another 9.97... but I got a belt 1.5" wide and 1/8" thick, wrangler, dickies, and levi all have them and if you shop WW, outlet malls, burlington coat factory, sale racks at penney's you can find them for under 15. Much better than the thin dress belts I was used to.

#16 ·
Well as of now he is pretty set on a 95 but can't decide between models. He has been messing with my dad 89 and my aunts 89dc. He feels more comfortable with a saftey but having a saftey scares me because if you forget or so on... All of you know where I am going. But he is excited and going to a look at a gun store Saturday. This will be his first pistol ever.

#17 ·
I got a Ruger P95PR and it really is a great gun. It eats everything I have feed it with out a flaw except for a poor reload that should have never made it to the range.
It's the same thing as the P95D, but it has a picatinny rail and a non slip textured grip.
The only problem I have for mine is its hard to find a decent priced nice holster. There are tons of holsters out there for the p95 without the rail, but not so many with the rail.

#18 ·
I have a P95 with rail, had a P85 when they first came out. Good, reliable guns, just a little big for concealed carry. Thats why I bought a Kel Tec PF9, it's small enough for concealed carry. The only mistake I MAY have made : I didn't try to find a used (no longer made) Ruger P93 9mm. It accepts Crimson Trace laser grips and the P95 does not. I'm sold on C/T lasers, my wifes Bersa 380 came with them and I have asked Santa to put one under the tree for my PF9...

#19 ·
If you get one with a decocker you carry in is DA first shot, SA from there. Can put safety on but do not have too!

#20 ·
I bought an older used Ruger P95 decocker a couple years ago as my first semi-auto (I was a die hard revolver guy) and it's awesome. Too big to carry for me, but reliable, very accurate, and I like the decocker, safety, and DA/SA modes. I use it for a groundhog gun and OC on occasion. Good nightstand gun, carry in the truck when I travel. I have a 10 rd mad and a 15 rd mag. The 10 is a little lighter for carry. I personally have a cheap holster since I do not CC this gun.

#21 ·
I ordered a leather holster for mine. The holster maker did not have a P95 rail mold so he made it for the non rail and had me bring in the gun to form it. Turned out there was almost no additional forming required. The holster fits great. Can't speak for all leather holsters but I ordered my pancake from Stoner Holsters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.