1911 Makeover

This is a discussion on 1911 Makeover within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very nice piece!!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Makeover

Very nice piece!!

2. Remove Ads

Looks great, read the site though, not sure what exactly is does as a positive, is it as a lubricant more than anything?
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

It is a lubricant, but for me, I just like the way it looks. It did a great job on my full size Rock Island to cover up badly scratched parkerizing, and on the HS it's covering up polished bare metal. I learned some good lessons doing the Rock Island, and this time the finish looks flawless on the HS. I tried my darndest to get the sights off of the slide so I could keep them black, but I don't have a vice and couldn't get the rear sight off for nothing. I beat on it for a good 30 minutes and it never budged. The front sight popped right out though. Oh well, I plan to change out the sights eventually anyway, I'll be sure to have a gunsmith do it though.

My first project.

Very nice indeed!
    Most people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem! Ronald Reagan

Nice Pistol,and a excellent job refinishing it,can see you took your time and id it right! I do have one question? I'm assuming this is your daily carry and was just curious why you would change color from blk to a lighter color? Blk is just just much better for concealability in low light for defensive purposes,I know it's all personal taste,in in all you did a great job,if you have time give us all a small lesson on product and how you applied,is it same as applying Gun_Kote?

I got the HS Compact through a trade. The guy that I got it from had polished the slide and frame to bare metal, that's why I wanted to cover it. The color is personal preference, and it's a non-reflective matte stainless color. It is applied simply with an airbrush, only trick is having to preheat the metal so that it dries instantly. I've never tried GunKote or Duracoat, but I imagine they are all pretty much the same. I had thought about using black, but I already had the stainless color from doing my Rock Island. It took about 2 hours from start to finish, and only because of the 1 hour cure time in the oven.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links