Defensive Carry banner

Sig 556 Pistol or Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine .40SW

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Agave 
#1 ·
I would like to get one of these guns for home protection. The overwhelming majority of home invasions occur with several bad guys entering the house. I want to be able to overwhelm the threat if this occurs, so I want more than a standard length hand gun.
I want something that is easy to conceal in our bedroom, so that's why I'm not using one of my AR-15's for the job. We don't have any kids or pets so we don't have to consider friendly fire issues. A pistol grip shotgun may still be the best option. Please give me your thoughts.

#3 ·
Wouldnt go with pistol grip shottie, but Bothe of these seem viable options especially since I have been wanting a ar pistol myself. Maybe even look at an AK pistol. 7.62 is a little more easy to find sometimes and still relativelt cheap for gun and ammo.

#5 ·
the Sig 556 pistol would be really nice, but if you just have to have a .223 in pistol and the Sig isn't available, there is the KelTec PLR16.

As for the Beretta Storm CX4, I can testify to their functionality. For a pistol caliber carbine, mine is very manueverable and will easily shoot minute of pie plate, standing off-hand, at 25 yards with the irons and about the same at 50 yards scoped. Since my "estate" isn't much more than 50 yards square, I figure I can shoot minute of badguy from most any position. My CX4 is in 9mm, although I would have just as soon had it in .40 or .45 cal. It came as a really "good deal" that one just couldn't afford to turn down.

I did kinda have the hots for a while for the Sig 556 rifle myself.

surv

surv

#8 ·
Not being a fan of PG'd shotguns--never have really seen their utility--I'd say either one would work.

The Sig's round is a bit more effective, and you've got higher capacity. The CX4 will be a bit more controllable with a stock. The 556 is a smaller package.

Personally, I'd think an AR with a collapsed stock wouldn't be that much bigger than a CX4...but you seem to feel differently; fair enough.

This may be one of those occasions where the folding stocked Mini-14 is a good choice...

#9 ·
I think the 223 pistols are neat (Bushmaster makes several also), high velocity, lots of capacity, I see the potential for bullets to go completely through the target, something to consider. I too would avoid pistol grip shotties, I feel you have much more control and less likely to have it taken away if it is at your shoulder. The Mrs' with a20 gauge semiauto and you with 223 pistol... ouch!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.