Defensive Carry banner

hunting calibers?

3K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  gasmitty 
#1 ·
What caliber/gun do you carry as a back up when out hunting large game?
I just want to see what people have found to be effective.

#4 ·
Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag, but then again there are times that it is the only gun I will walk around with during deer season or if out looking for hogs.

#6 ·
1911 with 230 grain HST in the pipe and 230 grain FMJ as the other eight. I just went through the thought process (guided by very knowledgeable fellow Forum members) about selling/trading my SKS to get a 6" .357 magnum, a .41 magnum or a .44 mag. At the end of the day, I'm not selling or trading anything. My 1911 works for me for anything I'm likely to encounter (mountain lions, coyotes, wolves, black bear, and the two-legged threats).

#8 ·
Depends. Back in New England when I hunted deer, a .22 was enough. I could pop noisy squirrels or administer a coup de grace if necessary.

Out in AZ, especially in high country, bears and mountain lions are a fact of life. A .357 mag or .45 ACP are my minimum carry calibers when hunting.

#9 ·
Depends on what and where I'm hunting.

I usually carry one of two revolvers; Ruger Blackhawk .357 or if hunting with my 45lc carbine I carry an SAA "clone" loaded with 250grn LFP's or 200grn JHP's. It isn't safe to use most of the handloads for the carbine in my SAA.

I'm currently looking for a Ruger Blackhawk in 45lc so I can work up some "game specific" handloads that will work in both carbine and revolver.

I sometimes carry a .38 "snubbie" or a Beretta 21A in addition to the open carry.

#10 ·
Ruger GP 100 4 inch barrel 357 mag or Colt 1911 Delta Elite 10MM. Would love to have a compact Glock 10MM for all woods duty. Light and powerful.

#11 ·
A timely thread :confused: (this is the condensed version)

Last Sunday I was hunting my property in the Adirondacks (Redwood, NY) I was carrying my scoped 30-30 (3-9 Variable) I usually carry a S&W 44 629 classic as a backup, but on this occasion I left it at the cabin

I was stalking a couple of Doe when 40 yards to my right a Coyote comes trotting along with his nose to the ground.

I lined up the cross hairs on him and hit him in the shoulder, ON THE RUN, down he goes. :hand10: I"m thinking to myself "darn fine shot bubba" much to my chagrin he pops up, falls down, jumps up again and starts running 30 yards in front of me from my right to left. then he turns and starts running at me :blink:

I reach to my right hip and realize I LEFT BAM-BAM (ya, I name my guns) AT THE CABIN:buttkick::spankme:

Fortunately, the coyote saw me and made a fast U-turn, I lined up another shot and sent one up his butt, down he goes

Jamc's new rules for hunting, Never leave home with out back up:twak:

#31 ·
Good story. On another forum, I got a lot of skeptics when I related my story of a rabid coyote (in CT) taking 3 hits with 1-1/8 oz of #4 shot at about 10 feet. The first one caught him in the center of his chest and barely got his attention!

#12 ·
Usually a 6" Colt Anaconda .44 has backup duties.

#13 ·
I want a big frame revolver for that duty, or a Glock 10 MM. But sadly I take my Glock 23 for now. Better than nothing.

#16 ·
.357, with first cylinder loaded with a shotshell... snakes are the biggest threat around here...

#17 ·
Check your local game laws.

In Alabama you can not carry a firearm during bow season and during rifle season your pistol has to have a 4" barrel and be loaded with centerfire mushrooming ammo capable of holding no more than 11 rounds.

I carry a 4" .357

#21 ·
In my area there aren't any large predators to worry about. No bears or big cats (at least not according to KDWP). The worst game animal predator would be a bobcat or coyote. The biggest threat would be packs of wild dogs. These packs can run to a dozen or more animals. In this situation, I don't need massive power but do need as many rounds as possible. Today, I'd carry my XD/M 40 with a spare mag. That would give me 33 rounds. If I were in a different part of the country, it would depend on the possible threats. Bear or large cat country would be my S&W 629 44 mag loaded with 240 grain jacketed soft points. When prairie dog hunting with rattlesnakes in the area, I carry my Taurus 85 revolver loaded with shotshells.

Hoss

#22 ·
45 auto.

#26 ·
In MN you can't shoot big game unless the cartridge is legal per DNR (no coup de grace with a 22lr. pistol.) You can't carry any firearm, even with a permit to carry, when archery hunting deer or shining game with a light. But you can carry something when archery or spear hunting bear (imagine that.)

My woodland sidearm chioces are my EDC (3" 45auto,) 2 1/2" Titanuim 41 mag, 5 1/2" 45 Colt (old model Vaquero,) or 4" 500 Shoot&Weep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.