Defensive Carry banner

Oldest Pistol You Own You Would Carry?

9K views 64 replies 59 participants last post by  Magnum Mikie 
#1 ·
I read a thread yesterday about oldest firearms in our collections, I was intrigued at the variety and types of firearms some had!

It got me thinking about the oldest pistol in our collections we would trust with our life on a daily basis. I have some old ones but not all are reliable and accurate and most of what I have are "pocket pistols". Let's try and limit it to CC weapons!

My first would be a JP Sauer & Sohn 38H in 32 ACP made around 1940 for police service. It is a fine firearm, amazing technology so early on, cocking decocking lever, can carry cocked and locked or DA.

My second is a JP Sauer & Sohn old model 1913 32 ACP made around 1925. It is also a great piece. Don't like the safety but for its day WOW!

I wouldn't be thrilled to carry 32 as my primary but both of these shoot very well and the 38H is tremendous... For me to go up in caliber I have to move into the 70's & 80's...

Edited to add: Oldest pistol or revolver!

#3 ·
I have a 1911 with a frame from 1918 (it has a WWII era slide) that was customized by Behlert. It feeds everything and is accurate enough that it makes me wonder why I "need" a match grade barrel in all of my newer guns.

#4 ·
A early 80's S&W model 60 in 38 special, as you can tell I don't have many old guns in my collection. The oldest is a 30/30 made in the early 20's it was my grandfather's gun who passed it down to my dad who gave it to me and I will give it to my son along with all my guns. I was offered $500 for it and wouldn't take 4 times that!!

NCH

#6 ·
Pistol or Revolver! Revolver will get us earlier but there are some good ones!

#8 ·
OD: speechless...... I want one just like yours :drool:
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

#31 ·
Not recommending that you do it with your Army Special but I have fired Winchester +P 158 grain ammunition in my Army Special from 1913 with no discernable harm. While it probably isn't prudent to fire a lot of such ammunition in old Army Specials, it is a pretty robust design and was made of the very best steels ... of the era.

I would happily carry any of several Colt and Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolvers I have around here that date as far back as 1904. The oldest revolver I commonly carry is an early 1950s Smith & Wesson Military & Police 2-inch revolver.

My favorite .45 for toting is a 1918 Colt 1911. I'm afraid it doesn't look as good as OD's fine example.

#15 ·
Dads old colt detective special, has not been carried by him in YEARS, sits in the safe mainly. Circa '60s, not 100% sure of when it was made.

#17 ·
All of my pistols are (unfortunately) of recent manufacture, withing the last 4 years or so. I'd like to have some older pistols with historical/sentimental value, but even if I did I wouldn't cc them, as I would want them to pass to future generations.

#26 ·
FWIW, the 80 prefix is just that, a prefix that started around mid-1980 or there abouts, the Series 80 firing pin safety was introduced by Colt in 1983. :wink:

#28 ·
my colt police positive was made around 1935. works perfectly. i sometimes take it along.
now i have a Wm H Monk sidelock ejector 12 bore shotgun made in 1890 that i still hunt birds with. it is fun and deadly on quail. only drawback is short chambers (2.5) and of course it requires mild loads. now i do "Carry" it. and i try to "conceal" it from birds and rabbits. i do this by hiding behind a tree or something of that sort. concealed carry in the fields of rural alabama.
God Bless

#29 ·
I have an early 1960s S&W Model 49 "Bodyguard" that I carry frequently. It shows a lot of carry wear (no rust) but not a lot of shooting wear. It shoots great and carries well in a pocket or holster. I'll post a pic soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.