Defensive Carry banner

1911 Decision

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  sgb 
#1 ·
After I've bought for everyone else on the list, I'll begin searching for a 1911 for yours truly. I'll probably be looking at a $600~$650 budget so Wilson Combat, Dan Wesson, and etc. are out of the picture. I have eyeballed the SA MilSpec, RIA Tactical, and Taurus. I am mechanically inclined and would like to do my own upgrades on whichever one I end up with. I can do some polishing and drop in parts but do not have the equipment for cutting the frame.

Concerns and wants:
*I would like to add a beavertail to my new addition but, as stated, I'm not willing to try cutting on the frame. (I know the Taurus already has a beavertail.)
*I would like the sights to be interchangeable without a gunsmith cutting the slide.
*I know SA has great customer service and have heard RIA is good also. Word on the street is that Taurus has sub par service.
*I've read that the SA and RIA parts use milspec parts but is this the same for the Taurus? (Will it be hard to find parts for the Taurus?)

So the choices are:
1. SA MilSpec
2. RIA Tactical
3. Taurus PT1911

Based on my concerns and wants listed below, what are your thoughts?

Thanks for your input!

Jay

See less See more
#3 ·
I would have to go with #2 and use the $200 saved on ammo.

#4 ·
Go with the SA Mil Spec. Springfield does have good customer service. I dont know much about RIA, as for Taurus, well I gave them a chance and was bitten by their poor quality and lack of concern, I dont even want to think about their products again. They have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I know Taurus has a big following but my personal opinion is that they still have a long way to go.

#7 ·
I'm thinking #2. I used to would have thought the Taurus, and contemplated that as one of my next wants. But I have heard that the slide cuts for the sights are not mil-spec, and some of the earlier problems like the ambi thumb safety breaking. Some of the issues have been cured, and I've read several good reviews on the PT1911, it's just that I've pretty much let that notion pass on by.

#11 ·
I recently bought an off brand Mil-Spec 1911 (American Classic Govt. model) made by Metroarms.

It's made by A Filipino company and was previously marketed under Firestorm brand also. I would actually recommend it as an alternative to the RIA. I got it for only $400 and all the controls are smooth and light even the trigger pull. They also come in 2 flavors the basic mil-spec and the American classic II which has a few nice additions for only a few dollars more.

Of course they aren't very common Knob creek just happened to have one in stock and i was thinking about getting a new .45. The $100 dollar shave off the price compared to the RIA clinched it for me.

#13 ·
I have been very happy with my Tarus PT 1911.
I have had no problems but have heard their CS is horrible .
Based on mines preformance I would not hesitate to by another .
I just know I am takng a chance due to their poor CS reputation .

#16 ·
The RIA tactical comes with a beavertail and, from what I've read, they have excellant customer service. Springfield also has great customer service and, if you buy a used gun, the warranty follows the pistol.

With the Springfield, I think you'd be money ahead to buy the "Loaded" as opposed to the milspec and then adding parts. My first 1911 was a Springfield SS Loaded with target sights and it was a great pistol. Very accurate.

I came very close to buying the RIA Compact Tactical as I felt the officer's grip would conceal better than a full size grip for me. I decided to buy something lighter (aluminum frame) so just bought a Kimber Ultra ll from Bud's for $750 (no C.T. grips or night sights). I've got 223 rounds of cast bullet handloads through it with zero problems and am impressed so far.

I believe I've read where Taurus uses some non-standard parts. I know several people who've bought the Taurus 1911 and they like them but they haven't had to use their customer service which doesn't seem to have the best reputation.

Good luck in your search. I like 1911's:smile: (I also own a D.W. CBOB and a STI 9mm Trojan.)

#18 ·
Not that I'm an expert on Taurus, and not to offend anyone out there, but lately I've seen a lot of negative things written about that company.

Of course, a leading consumers magazine who shall remain nameless constantly has NOTHING good to say about Jeep Wranglers. And I personally hope I'm never without mine.

Caveat emptor!

#20 ·
RIA cs tactical has alot of what you want and for around 456-470 bucks you have alot of room to buy aftermarket. They may not be picture perfect, but they sure look like a good deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.