Trying a Kahr K9 with Crimson Trace grips

This is a discussion on Trying a Kahr K9 with Crimson Trace grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just came home with this 2009 Kahr K9. It has Crimson Trace grips and Mepro night sights. I picked it up as a potential ...

Thread: Trying a Kahr K9 with Crimson Trace grips

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar

I just came home with this 2009 Kahr K9. It has Crimson Trace grips and Mepro night sights. I picked it up as a potential CCW. Even though I'm happy with what I have now, the laser grips really interested me. As I get older and my eyes get worse, I'm thinking the laser may be a solution to the problem.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the laser dot appearing exactly where it should, right over the sight picture, without any adjustment needed. My range bag is packed and ready to go test this new compact for accuracy and POA Vs. POI. My other Kahrs have been quite accurate, so I expect this one will be also.

I already have a nice holster, a Mitch Rosen Premier, that I bought a while ago for a CW9. It also holds the K9 and my T9, making it a very useful holster. The CT grips make the pistol profile a little thicker than the standard Hogue rubber grips, but it is a negligable amount.

The night sights are Mepro Tru Dot, which are the same that I use now on my HK. These are excellent sights whether in daylight or low light.

I'll report back with shooting impressions after my range visit.

that looks great! i can't wait to see the range pics. I've had my hands on this exact setup and it felt great in my hands. Let us know how it works out!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Good luck at range. I'd like to know results when done....
    For God, Family and Country!

I have the K40 with CT very accurate and great carry weapon.

Well, 30 minutes at the range and 143 rounds later...

I fired 100 Rem. UMC, 15 Win. 147gr. JHP, 20 NATO ball rounds and 8 Hornady TAP FPD rounds I had in my TP9 magazine. The Winchester shot well, maybe the most accurate, but it was hard for me to tell because I was also shooting to see where the laser aimed, playing with the trigger, etc, etc. Turns out the laser was off by about 4" at 50" and of course I forgot to bring the tiny wrenches.

I didn't take pictures, sorry, but my best 7 or 8 round group was about 3", my worst was probably around 6", as I had some flyers. I shot better with the Mepros than I did the laser.

The really good news is that I could shoot the gun quite fast. I did a series of double and triple taps that were amazing, at least for me. They ranged from about a 1" group to one odd miss at about 4". These were shoot at a closer 12 yards, which is the furthest I'll shoot as fast as I can. I scatter some small 1" green dots around on the target board at shoot at them, two or three rounds, then move to the next one. I judge how well by I do by the speed, group size and distance from the dot. I shoot a double tap in about a half second and a triple in about 1 second.

I shot about 3 mags slow and easy to see how accurate the pistol can be, but I got a mixed bag of results, having some nice tight 5 round groups ruined by one or two rounds a full inch or two away. I think it was just a off day for me. I'll chalk it up to a new gun. The trigger is quite nice, much better than my new TP9 but not as smooth or light as my T9. It is a very competent, predictable carry gun trigger. I like it.

I had one misfeed in the second mag with the UMC, a double feed that I've never seen in a Kahr. After that there were no problems. I was glad to see the big 147gr Winchester feed OK.

The Mepros worked great, just as I expected. The range I shoot at is pretty dark so I was actually picking up on a gentle glow. Normal white dots are sometimes invisible at this range.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the laser. In the right circumstance it could be invaluable. The Mepros are great. The gun is certainly accurate enough for a carry gun. Recoil is quite acceptable as evidenced by my lack of hand fatigue and quick follow up shots. I'm a happy camper...for what I paid, (<$600), I think I have a very nice pistol.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good day all around...That is one sharp looking pistola...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I'm fairly close to the Quantico area. It sounds like you got a great deal...where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

I have a PM9 and find that with maybe the exception of my Glock 26 and 19, I shoot this the fastest and most accurately....and I am sure it si a result of thr smooth DAO trigger. Enjoy, I like the looks of your setup.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Very nice Kahr! I really like the steel framed Kahrs. I took my G36 and LCP to the range yesterday too. Before I was done I kinda wished I'd taken my CW9 too, after shooting the others for a while I really missed the trigger on the Kahr, it truly is the best DA trigger I have ever used. Congrats on the new Kahr.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    I'm fairly close to the Quantico area. It sounds like you got a great deal...where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!
    I didn't buy locally, it was purchased from a member of another forum I frequent and shipped here to my FFL.

Links