Sig P229 or 239

This is a discussion on Sig P229 or 239 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; regarding 9mm vs other calibers, 9mm = 90% 1 shot stopping power. 40 S&W= 95% 1 shot stopping power. 90 bad guys out of 100 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sig P229 or 239

Cali-da

regarding 9mm vs other calibers,

9mm = 90% 1 shot stopping power.
    40 S&W= 95% 1 shot stopping power.
    90 bad guys out of 100 down vs 95 out of 100 bg's down.
    Those odds look pretty good to me :-)
    RE: Iraq, our guys are using crap ball ammo over there, so yeah,
    9mm isn't looking too good for that reason.

But the #1 reason to use 9mm? El-cheapo to shoot
    100 practice rounds=$11.98
    One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.

Sir Winston Churchill.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BigE410
    Im not a big guy so I just assumed the 239 would be a better fit for me.
    The size of your hands is the more important determinator of how the pistol will fit. I'm a little guy, barely over 5'6" tall, but have giant gorilla hands so full size pistols fit me perfectly. My hands are actually too big to properly shoot compact pistols that most people would think are perfect for me based on my stature. Best advice I can give is to hold both, dry-fire both and see which is more comfortable.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I absolutely love to shoot my p229 SAS. It's DAO, but it's got the DAK system and is the sweetest DAO pistol that I've ever shot. I don't know how you feel about the DA/SA switch over, but if you don't care for it then DAK is the solution. I got it a couple months ago and it's beautiful as well as super accurate.

I need to get a holster for it, but I don't know if I can bring myself to carry it being that it looks so good. I'll think I'll leave the bump and grind of daily carry to the SA GI Champion or my 19.
    Last edited by pete156; April 27th, 2006 at 07:29 PM.

Love my SIG's but the 229/228 for me always felt a little more on the blocky side and just didn't fit my hand as well as the 220/226.

I love the 239, its a tad short in my hand but with the option of buying it as the 239SAS version,it becomes one of the very best CCW rigs going,,, In fact JMO I believe any of the SIG SAS versions make better carry rigs then their normal set up's,, only down side for some is the lack of the railed dust cover

Personally I don't need a rail on my carry rig. I'm not going to putting any toys on it anyhow since I want the cleanest draw possible. Besides, I've never handles one, but the rails like on the new equinox look like they would catch and drag something horrible. It's all the notches in the sides of the rail that just look like they wouldn't work well for carry.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    The only Sig I've owned is a 226. No matter what choice you make you are going to get a great pistol. Sigs are some of the greatest combat handguns ever made.

As far as the caliber war that is emerging on this thread-There is nothing wrong with 9mm. As long as you shoot good hollowpoint ammo that pentrates well then you will be fine in the "stopping power" department. And this is coming from a .45 guy that doesn't feel underarmed when he carries a 9mm from time to time.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; April 27th, 2006 at 08:00 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I have a 229 and love it. I bought it used and it came with both of the barrels that Sig ofers for it, the .40 and the .357 SIG. As for the size, yes its bigger than what I was use to, but I am getting a OWB from K&D so hopefully that will not be a problem.

No matter what Sig you go with, it will be a great investment as Sigs are great handguns.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE410
    Ok Ive really been looking hard at sig. Ive shot a few and I must say, I really like them! My question is this............I like the 229 better then the 239 but. If I decide to CCW the gun I think Id have a harder time with the 229. What do you guys thing? Also for those who own 229s How do you like them?? And what a good OWB hoster set up??
    I see you're from Pa. I just stopped down the local gun shop to pick up some rds and they have a sig 229 9mm with surefire 200something lumen output 2 15d mags and a 20rd mag and a blackhawk drop leg holster. They have it on consignment for 700. Im sure you could get the guy down on price and they also have his contact info down there.
    "That one was rubber, The next one is live"

I own and carry a Sig 228 and a Sig 239. There is very little difference between the size/weight of these guns. Having the shorter grip does help in concealment in some situations. That's about all I really notice.

I own several 226s (ok, many) and a 239 in 9mm. The overall slimness of the 239 wins out as a BUG for me - it's not Kel-tec tiny but it's substantially smaller than my old .44 snubnose in thickness and that little bit made it an effortless BUG versus one that occasionally annoyed me.

Play with them both. I am not as accurate with the 239 because I have extremely large hands, but I can still do torso shots at 25m at medium+ rates of fire without incident. It's good enough for a BUG in my off-hand.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Funny I was just reading a US LEO forum talking about problems with their G22’s. Most of the cops on that forum had little concern about switching back to 9mm. Remember also that you and the police have far more discretion about what ammo to buy then the military, they use what they get. Plus not many actually get to shoot people with their pistols and so many of the stories are likely passed on through many people from a few sources, with the usual embellishments.

I know the IVI 9mm we had/still have in the Canadian army is quite hot, was designed to be used in SMG’s.

Wish I could comment on the Sigs, I only have the Sig 226ST (love it) and we are not allowed to carry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links