1911 commander OWB?

1911 commander OWB?

This is a discussion on 1911 commander OWB? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm shopping for a 1911 commander length maybe a lightweight model,can you recommend a make/model of gun? Also does anyone here carry one of these ...

Thread: 1911 commander OWB?

1911 commander OWB?

I'm shopping for a 1911 commander length maybe a lightweight model,can you recommend a make/model of gun?

Also does anyone here carry one of these guns OWB? How well does it conceal?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I carry a Kimber government model OWB concealed all the time. It depends on holster and how you dress....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

sgb
    Colt LW Commander XSE

As stated above, how well the gun carries and conceals is dependent on a quality belt and holster.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I carry that size gun OWB all the time and have no problem concealing it. I have been carrying a Smith and Wesson 1911PD. True commander-size, 28 oz empty, scandium frame. I love this gun, rides great in my UBG Regulator holster, no problems concealing it (photo below is me in just a t-shirt with the 1911PD under it. I'm holding my arm a little forward in a funny position to clear the view of the holster area.). I recently brought home a Smith and Wesson 1911ES. I just finished running it through reliability checks and will be carrying that as my primary now. That's a commander-length slide/barrel with the shorter officers-size frame. You cut 3/4" off the grip, which is the hardest part of a 1911 to conceal. Also lightweight with the scandium frame. I'd HIGHLY recommend either of these guns. I've NEVER had a feed issue. They've eaten FMJ, Gold Dots, Rem JHP, Hornady XTP's, all without a hiccup. Top quality build, great customer service if you should ever need it, reliable performance and lightweight for carry. The perfect carry 1911's in my opinion.

VIP Member
    Colt Combat Commander everyday and everywhere. I actually like my Desantis three-slot belt scabbard the most. I have several custom holsters for it (think BBQ) but for everyday wear I usually slide on the Desantis. Rides high and tight covered with a light shirt. No problem.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Colt LW Commander XSE

As stated above, how well the gun carries and conceals is dependent on a quality belt and holster.
    Yep, I agree also, I would also recommend the XSE Commander LW or All Steel minus the ducktail in the under 1K price range..
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

I carry a steel Colt on a daily basis. I typicaly carry in an IWB in the apendix area.
    I have carried this particular gun for 20 years. I do on occasion experiment with other guns, but I allways come back to the Colt.
    I work in the firearms industry. I have carried in pretty much every available way.
    It comes down to the hoster, belt, covering garment, body style.
    Buy a gun belt. Yes they are more expensive, but they are a necissity for owb carry.
    Buy a QUALITY holster. I use a Galco SSS. The holster does not have to be expensive. It should be of quality.
    Wear loose clothing. Aloha, Dickies, etc... shirts in the summer, Carhart, poplin vests or flanel shirts in the winter.
    If you are skinny with a narrow waist, you may struggle to conceal. the answer is a larger covering garment.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Life is for the living, sleep is for the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Padawan View Post
    I carry a steel Colt on a daily basis. I typicaly carry in an IWB in the apendix area.
    I have carried this particular gun for 20 years. I do on occasion experiment with other guns, but I allways come back to the Colt.
    I work in the firearms industry. I have carried in pretty much every available way.
    It comes down to the hoster, belt, covering garment, body style.
    Buy a gun belt. Yes they are more expensive, but they are a necissity for owb carry.
    Buy a QUALITY holster. I use a Galco SSS. The holster does not have to be expensive. It should be of quality.
    Wear loose clothing. Aloha, Dickies, etc... shirts in the summer, Carhart, poplin vests or flanel shirts in the winter.
    If you are skinny with a narrow waist, you may struggle to conceal. the answer is a larger covering garment.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    What he said.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

S &W 1911 Sc (now called a PD) Titanium Scandium alloy which weighs in at about 26 oz. empty. Great carry gun which I carry either IWB or OWB using a Fist #1
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Administrator
    For OWB carry it helps if you buy a high quality leather holster that cants the butt up. Also known as forward rake. That really helps keep the gun butt from printing.
    Then get a good stiff gun belt and you're good to go.
    A lightweight Commander size 1911 is a breeze to carry OWB.

thanks guys I'm leaning towards a S&W model or maybe a kimber PRO lightweight.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    thanks guys I'm leaning towards a S&W model or maybe a kimber PRO lightweight.
    Of those two, I'd look at the S&W.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    I would "Ditto" the post by OD & go with the Smith.

Springfield Champion

Springfield Armory has a Champion that has a 4" barrel which makes a great EDC. There is a lightweight model and a Stainless model.

Great guns, somewhat difficult to find, but worth it IMO.
    Be prepared

Sponsored Links