Sig P229 SAS2 .357 or Glock 32?

This is a discussion on Sig P229 SAS2 .357 or Glock 32? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which would you get for CCW and why? I keep going back and forth with this decision. I'm looking to replace my G26 CCW with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sig P229 SAS2 .357 or Glock 32?

Sig P229 SAS2 .357 or Glock 32?

Which would you get for CCW and why? I keep going back and forth with this decision. I'm looking to replace my G26 CCW with this. Price, ammo and size are not factors for me. Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Sig 229!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

No offense to Glock lovers, but Sig has a special place in my heart. My answer is purely subjective of course.
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

Glock for carry...

I have similar pistols in .40 - the Sig P229 and the Glock 23. I have found both to be reliable and accurate, but I tend to carry the Glock preferentially because it is about 8 ounces lighter weight and slightly smaller in dimensions, so it conceals more easily and is more comfortable to carry all day. I also like the DAO trigger of the Glock, with every trigger pull the same. My Sig is DA/SA so I have to make a transition after the first DA shot.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Moderator
    Sig.

Everyone has a Glock. Even gangbangers. They are soooooo common.

Not every one has a Sig.

Owning a Sig is like owning your first Lincoln Town Car. It shows the world that you arrived !
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

SIG, next question!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Oh yea why...

better quality, more sturdy construction, sexier lookin!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Another thing to consider, is the fact that Sig invented the .357 Sig

The Sig is also a heavier gun, which will alleviate some of the perceived recoil from such a hot, powerful round.

Just make sure you buy REAL .357 Sig rounds, that are loaded to potential.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

SIG. The P229 is a perfect platform for the 357SIG cartridge. Superior craftsmanship inside and out. Superior all-around performance. A sweet combination, and they were made for each other. The Virginia State Police used .38 revolvers for 58 years, 10mm for 3 years, 9mm for 4 years, and the P229 in 357SIG for the past 12 with no sign of changing. There's a reason for that. You can do worse, but you'd be hard-pressed to do better.
    .XX likes this.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

It depends.

I own one Glock, and don't really desire any more. With that said, the Glock is reliable, and goes and goes and goes. It is the gun I wouldn't care if I dropped it in the ocean, the sewage treatment plant or horse manure. It will clean off with a garden hose and keep going.

With that said, I'm not a fan of DA/SA. Maybe I haven't shot the DA/SA enough to give it a fair shake, I don't know. I do know I don't care for it though. If the Sig was with a DAK Trigger it would be a hard call. I do know that Glock, while not fitting my hand well, has a lower bore axis. That reduces the felt recoil and muzzle flip, for me. As it is the only handgun I care to shoot the .40 S&W round in is the Hi Power.

Without a doubt, Sig is quality, and not common. That makes it worth owning, just for the vanity points if that's your thing. Since cost isn't a consideration, as you are really comparing apples to oranges here, I would look at the perceived need and use of the handgun and make my decision based upon that.

I may switch to a Sig next year, but probably the P250. I don't much care if plastic gets "dinged" when I drop it. I do care if a nice metal handgun gets "dinged". I've dropped every handgun I own at some point or another it seems. As odd as it may sound, I actually like more traditional handguns made of steel, yet here I am extolling the virtues of a "plastic" gun.

In short, I have no vote, and like I said, "It depends."

Biker

G32--mainly because I really, really, really don't like the DAK trigger.

After playing with my ex-P226SAS, I found that the light trigger on the first shot and the harder pull on subsequent shots was difficult to get used to.

As far as quality, at the risk of being branded a heretic, they're pretty much equal in my view. Sure--the Sig is a prettier handgun, I'll give you that...but, as far as a self defense handgun goes (at least in my view) it's got to be reliable & accurate...in which case, they both are equal.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Moderator
    Yep, about as equal as a Volkswagen and a Lincoln Town Car.

They'll both get you there.

But one will get you more chicks than the other...

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The 229 is quite a bit bigger than the G26. That seems like a fairly big leap in size, so to speak. Why such a drastic change?

I'm going to have to think about this...OK, I'm done thinking...Glock!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    The 229 is quite a bit bigger than the G26. That seems like a fairly big leap in size, so to speak. Why such a drastic change?
    I don't really care for the two finger grip or pinky extensions. I don't mind concealing something larger. I'm also looking at a 1911 Commander in the near future.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links