Sig, XDM or M&P

Sig, XDM or M&P

This is a discussion on Sig, XDM or M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hate trying to buy a new gun. I would buy 20 if I had the money. I want a.40 cal for IDPA. I own ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig, XDM or M&P

Sig, XDM or M&P

I hate trying to buy a new gun. I would buy 20 if I had the money. I want a.40 cal for IDPA. I own a XD SC and love it. Curious as to what everyone has to say about the choices above. Full size .40 cal. Sig 226 or 229, XDM or M&P. In NY it is very difficult to try any guns out as renting and shooting is not an option. Dependability, durability, and ease of cleaning are all important. More so than cost at this point. What do you guys have to say.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Any of your stated choices would be a good one. I was able to rent and fire a number of weapons and picked the S&W MP and I have no regrets over the past 2 years.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    Since you like the XD platform, I'd go with the XDm...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

They're all good guns, but I love Sigs the best. The down side is that the Sigs do cost about twice what the XDM and M&P do, for not a lot more gun once you're past aesthetics and the feel of a metal gun vs polymer.

In a Sig, I'd go with whichever fits your hand better between the 226 and 229. You can use 226 mags in the 229, and there's an X-Grip to give you a good grip on them, should you want it. You can grab high capacity mags for the Sigs, as well as really good deals on the guns themselves, here. Good luck!

I just purchased a SIG SP2022 in .40 S&W yesterday and shot it for the first time a couple of hours ago. I was amazed at how accurate it was right out of the box, and the trigger feel is excellent too IMO. The DA/SA mode has a lot going for it in a SD scenario.

I also greatly appreciate the fact that the barrel fully supports the round, thereby reducing the KB factor.

The only drawback I've found so far is that accessories like holsters, etc. seem more difficult to find for this particular model in the USA- maybe if I spoke French it would help :)
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

VIP Member
    I vote M&P. Mine has seen a ton of rounds and not one failure!
    Last edited by atctimmy; November 25th, 2009 at 01:43 AM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I'm really itching for a Sig 226 Elite, but any of the ones you mention would be awesome. I know exactly what you mean when you say you'd buy 20 if you could. I'm going to the Hampton gun show this weekend and there's about that many I'd like to snap up. Oh well...it's a marathon, not a sprint. It might take 30 years, but I'll get 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I vote M&P. Mine has seen a ton of rounds and not on failure!
    I second that...

Administrator
    The Sig is the better gun. If I couldn't have a Sig, then I'd buy the M&P. I like the M&P in 9mm.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwankabaldi View Post
    I hate trying to buy a new gun. I would buy 20 if I had the money. I want a.40 cal for IDPA. I own a XD SC and love it. Curious as to what everyone has to say about the choices above. Full size .40 cal. Sig 226 or 229, XDM or M&P. In NY it is very difficult to try any guns out as renting and shooting is not an option. Dependability, durability, and ease of cleaning are all important. More so than cost at this point. What do you guys have to say.
    For price and reliability, the Sig Sauer P250 compact is hard to beat. I sell most in 9mm with 15 or 16 rd. mags or .40 in 8 or 10 rd mags.
    This is a very well balanced pistol that shoots with very good accuracy. It is not too heavy and is not top heavy like the XD or XDM. It is Swiss design but manufactured in the USA. The XD is manufactured in Croatia. The S&W M&P lives by its name only.

As for Cleaning, It is very easy to take down a sig P250 in less than a minute, field strip, clean and reassemble in about two minutes. It is so easy, even a caveman can do it.

GundAndSupply.com Home
    888-745-2080
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

My go to gun is my M&P40c and it has so very little recoil it is amazing. The XD would be the second choice and the Sig because the trigger reach for my short trigger finger would be last (I did love my P6 just not DA).

Choose the gun that point best for you.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have the P229 and I use it for IDPA (informal friendly goup on Wednesday nights). I carry a 1911 as my CCW. I did carry the P229 as my CCW but the 1911s are easier to conceal.

Recently considered Sig 250 & 229, full size M&P, XD, and XDM for new security team. Chose XDM. All are solid, reliable guns. I have shot and or owned all but XDM. XDM seems "trimmer," less boxy, easier to conceal, very narrow grip for DS mag. Felt best to me. Mostly subjective reasons for choice. It does shoot great. Pleased with choice.

I love my M&P40. I have about 4000 rounds through mine and only had one problem. The problem was ammo related, had a solid hit dead center on the primer and no bang. tap, rack, and it was ready to go again. that was probably 3200 rounds ago.

Senior Moderator
    I really like my Sig 226 SCT. My wife has an M&P Pro in 9mm, and it is very nice as well.

If you're just shooting IDPA with it, there's really no reason to go with the .40 over the 9mm. More recoil -> slower strings. Just a thought.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links