10 Rounds of .40 or 14 Rounds of 9MM?

This is a discussion on 10 Rounds of .40 or 14 Rounds of 9MM? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah Does NOT matter....

View Poll Results: 10 Rounds of .40 or 14 Rounds of 9MM???

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • 14 Rounds of 9MM

125 50.81%
  • 10 Rounds of .40

121 49.19%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 10 Rounds of .40 or 14 Rounds of 9MM?

Yeah

Does NOT matter.

2. Remove Ads

Didn't vote because I'd go either way and not feel outgunned.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Centra Florida!

I prefer making bigger holes...namely .45, but you're getting closer.
    If you can't do it in 14 (or 10, or 7...), you're already in touble.

ret
    Man I like the way you think!

Saves me allot of time hunting and pecking down my responses...

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I'm fine with my 6 rounds of 357 or 44

I do generally have a speed loader or speed strips somewhere in the close vicinity, but I hope I don't run into a threat that needs more than 6. If I do, I'll use the other 6 to get back to my rifle.

This really is a debate over caliber choice right, not capacity?? Have you ever heard of a personal defense incident where the good guy fired 14 rounds? Or 10 for that matter? Last I heard the typical scenario was two. Not being cowboys, military or police (most of us) I wouldn't feel one bit under-protected with 10 rounds in the mag.

So on a basis of caliber, I don't think you can go wrong with either given today's premium bullets for 9mm. I carry a 9 some days. If you don't have issues controlling a .40, and you don't have financial restraints that would keep you from shooting a .40 regularly, I'd opt for the .40. But I wouldn't feel handicapped with a 9.

VIP Member
    I voted for .40, however, it really comes down to what your comfortable with. I had a ZDsc in .40 which has a 9+1 capacity, I sold it and bought a SIG P239 in .40 whcich has a 7+1 capacity, this doesn't bother me at all, as I often carry a S&W j-frame or k frame with 5 and 6 round capcaities. I don't feel I need a huge round capacity on a daily basis as I am not looking for a fight or going to attack someone (if I were I would bring a rifle or shotgun), also, I have a SIG P226 and Xd 4" , both of which are 12+1 if I feel the need for increased round capacity.

cmb
    Went with 9mm. I am one of the ones who do not shoot the 40 as well. I like singles stacks in 9 and 45 and have a 357 snubbie.

Haven't read thus far the recommendation for a BUG but you may want to consider that also. What if you can't get to your primary. Perhaps extra mag... main failure in pistols is magazine.

The main advantage in increased round count to me is the possibility of multiple assailants. One on one 7+1 9mm I am confident in my practiced skills and decision making, more than one assailant, especially if they are armed is another situation.

I've kinda of decided on getting a Springfield sub-compact XD but can't decide upon the caliber. Love that the 9MM holds 14 in such a small package but would love to have the stopping power of the .40.
    I could have sworn this was going to be about a hi-power, based on the title of the thread.

9mm.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Quote Originally Posted by rico68 View Post
    Have you ever heard of a personal defense incident where the good guy fired 14 rounds? Or 10 for that matter? Last I heard the typical scenario was two. Not being cowboys, military or police (most of us) I wouldn't feel one bit under-protected with 10 rounds in the mag.
    Actually, I did read of an incident where a defender fired his whole mag of .45 (7 or 8 rounds), and the only reason the attacker stopped was because his gun (a shotgun) jammed. This, despite several hits. The attacker walked home, very much alive!

Add in multiple assailants, and the possibility of an active shooter scenario (terrorist in the mall during Christmas shopping season) and you can easily need a much higher round count.

I carry a total of 26 rounds (G26 with 11 plus 15 in a spare mag), and my wife carries 13 rounds. I generally avoid malls, but if we have to go this season, I may carry several more extra mags...just in case someone tries to copy the Ft Hood shooter...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

As you put restrictions to the choice I would go with the .40 S&W. Granted for the 9mm the hydra-shock is the way to go. But if you carry conceal size does dictate to weapon of choice. The 180 grain HP in the .40 is a good round and with 10 rounds you would be fine. Always carry an extra mag in case of malfunction or tactical reload. Personally I'm not accustomed to Glocks. My department uses them and for they are they shoot well every time. The Glock-27 is a great light weapon if you want a .40. Recently I picked up a new Para SS Warthog and have fired over 400 rounds of both hollow points and full metal jackets and never had an issue. Heard a lot of stories about problems with them. After conducting many training classes throughout the years I have seen too many shooters with the 1911's jam their weapons due to limp wristing the weapon. To them its weapons fault not theirs. Do yourself a favor and don't jump onto the bandwagon about any weapon just because it's new and the writers put up a good story about. Shoot a few different types then decide what works for you. Beauty doesn't win battles.

With my carry gun, P2000SK, it's either 10+1 of 9mm or 9+1 of .40. I practice most of the time with the 9mm to save $$ but choose the .40 for carrying. I don't think 1 round will make much of a difference, but I think the .40 has enough power over the 9mm to make it worthwhile.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I voted for the 10 rounds of .40 but what I really prefer is 10 rounds of .45 in my Taurus PT145. : )
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Add in multiple assailants, and the possibility of an active shooter scenario (terrorist in the mall during Christmas shopping season) and you can easily need a much higher round count.

I carry a total of 26 rounds (G26 with 11 plus 15 in a spare mag), and my wife carries 13 rounds. I generally avoid malls, but if we have to go this season, I may carry several more extra mags...just in case someone tries to copy the Ft Hood shooter...
    In many states, this will land you in jail. Many (most?) laws are written that you must first demonstrate no reasonable avenue of retreat. So unless you're in the immediate scene and in immediate danger, you're first responsibility is to retreat. If you're not, handling the shooter is LE's responsibility, not the responsibility of the carry permit holder (legally). I think we'd all like to handle the situation, but that's not what the carry laws are set up for. And I think many prosecutors would have a field day, and successfully make the case that if you're carrying that much ammo, you were looking for the fight, not trying to avoid it. What's right and wrong doesn't matter any more. All that matters is what 12 people who couldn't get out of jury duty will believe.

I don't want to derail this thread from the OP's original question any more than it has been.

7 of .45
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Yammer on about which bullet to use...

Wanna know a secret...

Dry fire with a dime on the front sight after doing pushups , drawstroke drills, malf drills with empty brass, and a load of .22lr downrange matters more than 9mm or .40S&W.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links