10 Rounds of .40 or 14 Rounds of 9MM? - Page 4

10 Rounds of .40 or 14 Rounds of 9MM?

This is a discussion on 10 Rounds of .40 or 14 Rounds of 9MM? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted for 10 rounds of .40 because that's what I carry in my Glock 27. I have a spare +1 mag on my side ...

View Poll Results: 10 Rounds of .40 or 14 Rounds of 9MM???

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • 14 Rounds of 9MM

125 50.81%
  • 10 Rounds of .40

121 49.19%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 10 Rounds of .40 or 14 Rounds of 9MM?

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I voted for 10 rounds of .40 because that's what I carry in my Glock 27. I have a spare +1 mag on my side totalling 20 rounds of .40 at all times.

Short of walking into a Los Angeles type of bank robbery / shootout...I feel well armed for most any occasion.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I voted for the 40 cause I don't have a 9mm.
    I would never feel undergunned with 10 rounds of 40S&W. But then the one I carry holds 15.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Yammer on about which bullet to use...

Wanna know a secret...

Dry fire with a dime on the front sight after doing pushups , drawstroke drills, malf drills with empty brass, and a load of .22lr downrange matters more than 9mm or .40S&W.
    I have to agree. A 25 cal, 32 cal and 22LR are all lethal and can and do kill.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rico68 View Post
    This really is a debate over caliber choice right, not capacity?? Have you ever heard of a personal defense incident where the good guy fired 14 rounds? Or 10 for that matter? Last I heard the typical scenario was two. Not being cowboys, military or police (most of us) I wouldn't feel one bit under-protected with 10 rounds in the mag.

So on a basis of caliber, I don't think you can go wrong with either given today's premium bullets for 9mm. I carry a 9 some days. If you don't have issues controlling a .40, and you don't have financial restraints that would keep you from shooting a .40 regularly, I'd opt for the .40. But I wouldn't feel handicapped with a 9.
    I do not have a strong preference between .40S&W or 9mm.
    I do know that during a fire fight, many LEO's have discharged an entire magazine without even thinking about it. Training and regular practice means everything.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

In many states, this will land you in jail. Many (most?) laws are written that you must first demonstrate no reasonable avenue of retreat. So unless you're in the immediate scene and in immediate danger, you're first responsibility is to retreat. If you're not, handling the shooter is LE's responsibility, not the responsibility of the carry permit holder (legally). I think we'd all like to handle the situation, but that's not what the carry laws are set up for. And I think many prosecutors would have a field day, and successfully make the case that if you're carrying that much ammo, you were looking for the fight, not trying to avoid it. What's right and wrong doesn't matter any more. All that matters is what 12 people who couldn't get out of jury duty will believe.

I don't want to derail this thread from the OP's original question any more than it has been.
    Agree about the derail, so...If I am in a mall, I will be with my family - otherwise I don't go there. As such, I will not be hunting down terrorists. My only obligation is to get my family out alive. However, if they are acting as a team, I may need to go through a few of them on my way out the nearest exit. Hence, ammo capacity is your friend.

If a Mumbai happens here (maybe I should say "when" not "if") I would love to see the DA that tries to charge a CCW who helped eliminate the threat. "Lynch mob" comes to mind...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'll take the ten rounds of 40 S&W actually. One...just to stick with the minority on this one, and two....because I like the 40 S&W best out of my three pistol calibers. However...ten seems to be a magical number with me, so if you would have asked 10 rounds of 9mm or 7 rounds of 40 cal, I might have gone the other way. I like the 9mm, 40 S&W, and the 45acp. Fact of the matter is, I could carry 8 rounds of the 45auto and be more than happy, and leave the 13 round 40S&W at home, and I'm more likely to carry a spare mag with the lower round count options when I choose them. Bottom line for me is that I think the 40S&W cartridge is the best for me, and in the mix, I'd say it's darned near the best cartridge over all to come along in handgun calibers. Available bullet weights and inherent accuracy are among my likes for the caliber, and as far as magazine capacity is concerned, and if I had an option of 357SIG or 40S&W....I'd more than likely stick with the .40 as my go-to cartridge.

I carry both..I believe if you do your job and you have good ammo the bullet WILL do it's job. And besides I never heard of anyone saying they have to MUCH ammo on tap LOL..
    The words can't and impossible are honey only to lips of losers. "Keith Matt(Me)"

Ruger KP95
    Glock 22/ PT145/ Pardner Pump Tactical/ Century AK-74

Nek
    Do your best to make the first shot count, as it means the most. Therefore I chose 40S&W, even though I own both.

VIP Member
    In many states, this will land you in jail. Many (most?) laws are written that you must first demonstrate no reasonable avenue of retreat. So unless you're in the immediate scene and in immediate danger, you're first responsibility is to retreat. If you're not, handling the shooter is LE's responsibility, not the responsibility of the carry permit holder (legally). I think we'd all like to handle the situation, but that's not what the carry laws are set up for. And I think many prosecutors would have a field day, and successfully make the case that if you're carrying that much ammo, you were looking for the fight, not trying to avoid it. What's right and wrong doesn't matter any more. All that matters is what 12 people who couldn't get out of jury duty will believe.

I don't want to derail this thread from the OP's original question any more than it has been.
    It is getting somewhat off topic. However your comments are true.
    There have been instances where a single action gun was cocked, the assailant entered the house of the home owner. The home owner with a cocked hair trigger gun shot the assailant and was was then later charged with second degree murder. The plaintiff's attorney argued that it was premeditated due to the trigger being cocked. I don't know the the outcome but this is a true story, not urban legend.
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    From what I've read , I stick with the 9, for the simple reason thatthe more hits in something the better to begin causing trauma ASAP, then factor in the notion that while under stress, are you going to be able to hit your assailant, every time you pull the trigger?,( for all you jokers beginning to say the words"if you can't get on target and make shots count"), go find a neighbor with a vicious dog, and have him turn the dog loose, and then see how many hits you connect with while under stress.
    Then factor in multiple, DETERMINED attackers, and you may have a problem.
    I'll take more rounds any day of the week. FWIW

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard Mike!

Personally, I'd opt for the superior performance of the .40 but there's really nothing wrong with a 9mm.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'll take .40 any day of the week, over both 9 and .45 ACP. I notice that all of the stopping power complaints have seemed to dry up after police went to the .40, with excellent results. There is now 9mm that's ALMOST as good as your run-of-the-mill tactical .40 round, but there are a lot more marginal loads in 9mm than there are in .40 S&W. I personally have no use for any other semiauto caliber except .40, and all of my semiautos are so chambered. It'll do anything the .45 will do, in a more compact, lighter, and higher capacity pistol. There's no point in relying in a caliber (9mm) that was marginal for years, and only recently became acceptable with modern ammo.

People who say the .40 is too "snappy" need to have their man card revoked. There are 5', 120 lb females in my agency that shoot circles around a lot of the guys with their Glock 27s. I have to laugh every time I hear whining about "a 9 center mass is better than a miss with a 40/45." Ammo is cheap. My life is expensive. I'll spend the money to practice with a street-proven caliber with an excellent record, and leave the Euro-pellets (9mm) to the cheapskates who think quantity is better than quality.

Our department, and a sister agency had more than a couple of failures to stop with 9mm, with good shot placement. Light pistol bullets just don't cut it, if you ask me. We switched to .40, and have not had a problem since. Hard to argue against a bigger, heavier bullet at the same velocity, with a bigger HP cavity and more energy.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Welcome to the Forum Mike. Great choice on the XDsc. You may also want to check out XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! sometime. It's has great people that love their XDs and is filled with a lot of useful information.

I voted for the .40 simply because that's what I have and carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck all day long and forget that it's there. Plus, if you have the .40 and desire 9mm in the future to practice with or for the cheaper ammo, you can get a drop-in barrel and shoot 9mm thru your .40 for less money than purchasing a second firearm. You could even get a .357 sig drop-in barrel, but you cannot go "up" in caliber in a 9mm.

Let us know what you decide.

I voted 14 of 9 mm, because I find a .40 a bit difficult with follow-up shots. If you had asked about 14 of 9 mm vs. 10 of .45 (please no flames), I would have chosen .45, because I find it more controllable than the .40 for me.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    how about just getting a Sig P250, and a few "options", and call it a day

surv

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links