Balistics recording at firearm manufacturers?

This is a discussion on Balistics recording at firearm manufacturers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading a local online news story and someone commented that manufacturers are required to fire a round through each handgun and scan the ...

Thread: Balistics recording at firearm manufacturers?

I was reading a local online news story and someone commented that manufacturers are required to fire a round through each handgun and scan the balistics info into a database in the event that the gun was use in a crime. Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

I do believe all guns are test fired. Manufacturers include the spent brass with new guns. And if you live in a communist state, the county sheriff is given this empty case.

All guns have unique finger prints and they can supposedly match up the spent brass shells to the gun that fired it.

Some states require a spent casing to register the firearm, so the manufacturer sends one with every firearm.

From Maryland.....

Any manufacturer that ships or transports a handgun to be sold, rented, or transferred in Maryland must include in the box with the handgun a separate sealed container holding a spent casing from that handgun. A handgun dealer must confirm compliance with this provision. A handgun dealer shall forward the sealed container holding a spent casing from the handgun that is subsequently sold or transferred to the state police.

Source- http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/mdSL.pdf
    Last edited by ItsMyRight2; November 28th, 2009 at 05:13 AM.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Glad not to live in one of "those" states....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Thanks for the info

I received the spent casing with my handgun. What about the projectile? I believe that the rifling in the barrel creates unique markings on the bullet that can then be recorded/scanned, and then compared and matched to another bullet fired from the same gun to determine whether or not a particular bullet was used in a crime. Do the manufacturers perform this kind of recording/scanning at the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisFred View Post
    I do believe all guns are test fired. Manufacturers include the spent brass with new guns. And if you live in a communist state, the county sheriff is given this empty case.

All guns have unique finger prints and they can supposedly match up the spent brass shells to the gun that fired it.
    Yep I had 2 spent rounds in my G26 packaging. I figured it had something to do with the signature of the gun being on file. I also thought maybe even it was provided as a way for me to provide that signature to the authorities in case something happened involving my weapon.
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

Quote Originally Posted by CrackpotBob View Post
    I received the spent casing with my handgun. What about the projectile? I believe that the rifling in the barrel creates unique markings on the bullet that can then be recorded/scanned, and then compared and matched to another bullet fired from the same gun to determine whether or not a particular bullet was used in a crime. Do the manufacturers perform this kind of recording/scanning at the factory?
    In an ideal world, all of this might have some significance. What's portrayed in the media and on television aint always so. The ballistics of pistols can be altered dramatically after the firearm leaves the factory in a number of ways depending on it's usage. Aftermarket barrels, shooting lead bullets, etc. You may just be seeing part of the picture before the paint is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackpotBob View Post
    Other than the spent casing or casings included with the new firearm I am not aware of any scanning or recording of any kind done with the bullet.

bosco

The whole science is kind of silly. Ever so slightly mill the breech face, change the extractor, ejector, firing pin, barrel and magazine and your semi auto now has a new ballistic "fingerprint".

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    The whole science is kind of silly. Ever so slightly mill the breech face, change the extractor, ejector, firing pin, barrel and magazine and your semi auto now has a new ballistic "fingerprint".
    Well are'nt some of these modifications illegal?
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

Quote Originally Posted by HUSTLEnomics View Post
    Well are'nt some of these modifications illegal?
    Heck, NO. These all fall into the category of normal maintenance or tuning.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You see this "ballistic fingerprinting" all the time on shows like CSI. I've always wondered how accurate it actually is.

Links