Shot my new Ruger LCP today...I hate the trigger!

This is a discussion on Shot my new Ruger LCP today...I hate the trigger! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shot 75 rounds through it at the gravel pit today and was severly let down due to the cruddy trigger pull on this gun. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I shot 75 rounds through it at the gravel pit today and was severly let down due to the cruddy trigger pull on this gun. I puchased it with a Crimson Trace lazer unit and the lazer quit working today as well. I am thinking the batteries are just dead?

The trigger is stiff and very hard to shoot. I have to pull so firmly on the trigger that it throws off the aim everytime.

I am hoping that I can have the trigger loosened up? Is thast possible on this little gun? Or that it will loosen up on its own after a few hundred rounds.

Sorry to hear that. You may want to consider taking it to a gunsmith to have it checked out, in case that there is something wrong with it.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    The trigger on mine, I think, is pretty good, especially considering it ain't a 1911. Hopefully it's something you can work through.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    The trigger on mine, I think, is pretty good, especially considering it ain't a 1911. Hopefully it's something you can work through.
    Did you think it was stiff when you first shot it?

EW3
    Practice, practice, practice!

I take it this is your first DAO type gun? You should get some snap caps and dryfire the heck out of it until you get used to it. Make sure you are using the middle of the pad of your finger joint, and not the joint on the trigger; that WILL cause you to throw your shots off. I found the LCP to have a much lighter, smoother trigger than most small DAO pocket pistols out there actually.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

What is DAO? Yes, it is my 1st pocket gun. I have a Glock 30 & 27 aswell as a Deagle .40, all of those triggers are smooth and nice.

DAO= double action only - no hammer- Hard to pull trigger for safety
    SAO= single action only cock the hammer, trigger pulls easily and more accurate
    DA/SA= double single action- Pull the hammer back or just pull the trigger,with the hammer back the trigger is real easy to pull,Double action have a heavier trigger pull for safety. Common on revolvers, not so common on semi-autos unless they have a decocker installed for safety.

My LCP has a hard trigger (heavy) pull also. It takes some getting used to but it is not an all day range gun. Just for emergancy use only. shoot about 50 rounds each time you go to keep the feel for it. Then move on to the fun guns
    Proud Member of the NRA

VIP Member
    The trigger should smooth out some with use...Get some snap caps and dry fire it a few hundred times....It should loosen up and smooth out...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by krag View Post
    I shot 75 rounds through it at the gravel pit today and was severly let down due to the cruddy trigger pull on this gun. I puchased it with a Crimson Trace lazer unit and the lazer quit working today as well. I am thinking the batteries are just dead?

The trigger is stiff and very hard to shoot. I have to pull so firmly on the trigger that it throws off the aim everytime.

I am hoping that I can have the trigger loosened up? Is thast possible on this little gun? Or that it will loosen up on its own after a few hundred rounds.
    With all the reviews on this little gun here, I'm really not sure what you were expecting from it.

It is an excellent gun and very accurate for what it is. It's a belly gun, designed to be used at "contact distance" out to about 20-30 feet. Although it is quite accurate beyond that range.

Yes, it was designed with a fairly stiff trigger. It's a mouse gun for crying out loud.

I have found that it seems to be much more accurate and easier to shoot in rapid fire as opposed to two hand, slow, deliberate, aimed fire. For that, yes, the gun is so small, the long trigger pull is going to move you off target. I totally expected that when I bought mine.

But for me, it's a pretty nice, really accurate, reliable little pop gun and worth every penny. Easily able to hit moving targets while you are also on the move with combat accuracy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with Bark'n. I've had my LCP for about a year now and have found that it shoots better in "rapid fire" mode. Try pulling the trigger swiftly rather than slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by krag View Post

I know what cha mean, but I would suggest learning to stage the trigger to minimize the long trigger pull. It's what I do for mine and this little pistol is very accurate at 7 to 10 when fired that way...

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

This is the reason I bought a P238
    I don't mind the trigger on the LCP, but my wife hated it and I wanted a gun she could shoot too.
    I sometimes wish I had an LCP though because the frame is smoother, and in my opinion easier to conceal.

My wife (all 120 lbs of her) is very accurate with this little gun. As others have said, it is easier to just pull the trigger in one continuous fluid motion, than trying to be slow with it.

Barring something being wrong with it (get it checked) it sounds like just an issue of practice.

As far as the laser - I found with the CT laser for this gun that if you screw the two halves together too tightly, you will get intermittent issues of the laser not turning on properly. Back off the screws, and all is ok. I also find that sometimes I have an issue turning the laser on, because the pistol is so small than I really have to squeeze the grip hard to hit the laser "on" button. Under recoil, I sometimes have to re-tighten my grip - just hard to hang on to such a small gun, for me.

I have the same laser (CT Laserguard) for my G26, and have had no such issues with it, with the larger G26.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Hmmm, gotcha, on the DAO stuff. And you are right it is not an everyday gun. I will shoot it a bit everytime I go out to the range. Thanks for the good info and help fellas.

Does anyone know if the Keltek version has a stiff trigger too?

I've shot the Kel-tec and LCP on the same day. They are very similar in every way including trigger pull. IMO, the LCP is a little more refined.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links