Range Report on New PPS 40....not a good day!

This is a discussion on Range Report on New PPS 40....not a good day! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I just got my PPS yesterday, brand spanking new. Went to the range, first a total of 66 rounds. 50 of Blazer Brass, 12 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range Report on New PPS 40....not a good day!

Range Report on New PPS 40....not a good day!

Well, I just got my PPS yesterday, brand spanking new. Went to the range, first a total of 66 rounds. 50 of Blazer Brass, 12 of Winchester white box and 4 others. Loved it, it shot great, but on round 66, wouldnt eject the brass...I fumbled with it for a minute before I realized it extracted the extractor!!

A brand new gun, was to be my new carry gun...now it has to go back to Walther....I have never had this happen before and I know these things can happen (duh, obviously! ) but it still is frustrating.

As far as shootability, it handled not much differently than my Kahr PM9 from a recoil standpoint....much easier than my old Glock 27...

Anyways, here is a pic of the "parts" of my new gun!!!...see lower right of picture for the missing pieces!!!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

That's a real 'bummer'...enough to ruin anyone's day...sorry to hear this, hope it's repaired and back to you soon.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am a HUGE fan of Glocks, and I know any piece of machinery can and will break down, but this is exactly why I wish Glock made a single stack gun.

Of course I am not giving up on this gun but I lose faith and always worry going forward, but hopefully this is more an issue of someone at the factory improperly assembling something etc.....because it doesnt look like anything broke more like it just popped out...but I am not sure if there are any other missing peices.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Wow, that would be depressing to me. I have a XD40sc that had problems right out of the box. It got sent back to Springfield, they took care of it and haven't had a problem since. Hope it works out like that for you.

I read on another forum before where a guy had the same thing happen. He said he just put it back together and then ran another 100 rounds through without any problems. It sounds like maybe it just wasn't seated correctly when assembled or some thing.

If it were mine I'd probably send it in and let the pro's take a look at it though.

Hopefully this will be your only problem.

VIP Member
    Bummer harley, hope it works out!

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    I read on another forum before where a guy had the same thing happen. He said he just put it back together and then ran another 100 rounds through without any problems. It sounds like maybe it just wasn't seated correctly when assembled or some thing.

If it were mine I'd probably send it in and let the pro's take a look at it though.

Hopefully this will be your only problem.
    I would have done that but one of the springs couldnt be found, the retainer spring is in the picture but the other one is lost.....so off to Walther it goes.

VIP Member
    Too bad, sorry to hear about it...Hope it gets fixed and back to you before the holidays are over...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Me too, this was to be my new primary CCW.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I am a HUGE fan of Glocks, and I know any piece of machinery can and will break down, but this is exactly why I wish Glock made a single stack gun...
    Actually, the GLOCK 36 is a single stack, and I owned one. I sold it for no good reason and its one of the few guns I wish I held on to. Here's an excerpt from their website:

Slim & Powerful

Six rounds of .45 AUTO. . ... in a package that
    fits into the hands of any user.
    With the new GLOCK SLIMLINE™ we present
    grip ergonomics of the next dimension.
    By using a single-stack magazine, the GLOCK 36 measures only 28.5mm/1.13 in. in width. Together with the secure-grip design, this makes handling the pistol very easy.

Anyway, have a good one ~
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about the extractor. I've had my share of issues with Walthers. They make good guns, I just have not owned any of them.

I have the Glock 36. It is a great 45 for carry. I replaced the stock trigger spring with a 5.5 lb one for a bit of extra safety. It is a really nice piece.

Lots of folks like the Walthers, but for me, I won't own another one. Too many issues.

Thin 9mm's worth it?

I sometimes wish for a "smaller" pistol than my G26. I took a look at the specs, however, and other than being thinner, there is not much difference between the G26 and the thinner competition:

G26 6.3 x 4.2

PPS 6.3 x 4.4
    Taurus 709 6.2 x 4.5
    PF9 5.9 x 4.3

The micro 9mm's are smaller, but have other issues:

PM9 5.6 x 4.3 (I've owned two, lots of issues)
    R9 5.2 x 3.7 (too expensive, not +P compatible, mag release on heel, no slide lock open when empty, etc)

So, for the extra 0.25 or so in width, you get Glock reliability and extra ammo capacity. And, you can reload with a 15- or 17-round mag. Good trade-off, IMHO. Think I'll stick with my G26!

PS - I do hope they make yours right!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Sorry to hear about the new gun . . . hope it gets better.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Actually, the GLOCK 36 is a single stack, and I owned one. I sold it for no good reason and its one of the few guns I wish I held on to. Here's an excerpt from their website:

Slim & Powerful

Six rounds of .45 AUTO. . ... in a package that
    fits into the hands of any user.
    With the new GLOCK SLIMLINE™ we present
    grip ergonomics of the next dimension.
    By using a single-stack magazine, the GLOCK 36 measures only 28.5mm/1.13 in. in width. Together with the secure-grip design, this makes handling the pistol very easy.

Anyway, have a good one ~
    Regards,
    I have a Glock 30 and love it but wanted the Walther PPS in 40...it is WAY slimmer than a G36...

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I sometimes wish for a "smaller" pistol than my G26. I took a look at the specs, however, and other than being thinner, there is not much difference between the G26 and the thinner competition:

G26 6.3 x 4.2

PPS 6.3 x 4.4
    Taurus 709 6.2 x 4.5
    PF9 5.9 x 4.3

The micro 9mm's are smaller, but have other issues:

PM9 5.6 x 4.3 (I've owned two, lots of issues)
    R9 5.2 x 3.7 (too expensive, not +P compatible, mag release on heel, no slide lock open when empty, etc)

So, for the extra 0.25 or so in width, you get Glock reliability and extra ammo capacity. And, you can reload with a 15- or 17-round mag. Good trade-off, IMHO. Think I'll stick with my G26!

PS - I do hope they make yours right!
    Yes but I own the G29 and the G19 and a G30 and a PM9 and I can tell you for certain the PPS being thinner makes a difference. For double stack, Glock wins, hands down, but for single, my Kahr and this Walther is nice just had a mishap and hope it can be fixed.

Honestly, there is a different niche for the single stacks and Glock is missing the boat by not entering the market.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links