Man I love the Steyr 9mm!!!!

This is a discussion on Man I love the Steyr 9mm!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Steyr M9-A1 on a whim and a good deal about 6 months ago and tossed it in the back of the safe. ...

I bought a Steyr M9-A1 on a whim and a good deal about 6 months ago and tossed it in the back of the safe. Well it was so beautiful today I took it and the new G19 I just bought out for a trial run. All I can say is the Steyr has to be the most under rated pistol out there!!! It doesn't have the goverment contracts like Glock, nor produce anywhere near the number of pistols that Glock does, they are a small Austrian company more known for their rifles than pistols. Many say the Steyr's are the guns Glock should have been. I can't knock my Glocks they are excellent firearms, but these Steyr's are incredible!! Tollerances are much tighter and the use a non traditional type of sights. Think of a triangle and the top 1/3 is the front sight and the bottom 2/3 is the rear sight. I will say it makes for a very fast and accurate sight alignment. This full size pistol has only 75 rounds through her and very, very accurate, much more than the Glocks, but I am sure the increased weight helps in this area, at least for me it does. I can't wait to see how she shoots after a few hundred rounds. Now that I have shot it I am now putting a M40-A1 or a S40-A1 at the top of my want list. If you don't know they are not imported any longer and no plans to change this due to the weak US dollar. I just thought I would see if there are any other Steyr fans out there.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I bought a Steyr M9-A1 on a whim and a good deal about 6 months ago and tossed it in the back of the safe. Well it was so beautiful today I took it and the new G19 I just bought out for a trial run. All I can say is the Steyr has to be the most under rated pistol out there!!! It doesn't have the goverment contracts like Glock, nor produce anywhere near the number of pistols that Glock does, they are a small Austrian company more known for their rifles than pistols. Many say the Steyr's are the guns Glock should have been. I can't knock my Glocks they are excellent firearms, but these Steyr's are incredible!! Tollerances are much tighter and the use a non traditional type of sights. Think of a triangle and the top 1/3 is the front sight and the bottom 2/3 is the rear sight. I will say it makes for a very fast and accurate sight alignment. This full size pistol has only 75 rounds through her and very, very accurate, much more than the Glocks, but I am sure the increased weight helps in this area, at least for me it does. I can't wait to see how she shoots after a few hundred rounds. Now that I have shot it I am now putting a M40-A1 or a S40-A1 at the top of my want list. If you don't know they are not imported any longer and no plans to change this due to the weak US dollar. I just thought I would see if there are any other Steyr fans out there.
    I had two Steyr M9-A1's. Wilhelm Bubits is a visionary designer who made a revolutionary gun. The Steyr M-A1 pistol is perhaps the easiest pistol to shoot right out of the box. It has great sights and the build quality is truly first rate. They were a little too big for CCW carry purposes but I am sure they would be a great duty gun, range gun or bed-side companion. I sold mine to fund some AR projects. Steyr Club is the place to go to get good info in a community of Steyr lovers. SAI, the US importer is also very responsive to any issues you may have. I seem to reall they re-designed the extractor on the M-A1 (.40, 9mm and .357 Sig) but a simple phone call will get you the newest extractor sent free of charge. Installation is a breeze. Best of luck with your new pistol, I am sure you will love it.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    A friend of mine has one. The sights are the first thing I noticed. I kinda like them. The gun also shot very nice. I would get one but my Glocks would beat it up in the safe.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I like steyr s so much that I named my first born after them

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    This is Steyr michael my boy and his American Bulldog hunny
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg s.jpg (41.9 KB, 25 views)
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Very cool!! Yes I found the Steyr club forum soon after buying the pistol. I knew about the ejector issue , but mine has no problem with ejection and they said if it was affected it would be very obvious, so I reckon I got lucky. Yes it is a full size weapon but still concealable with winter clothing. It isn't any larger than my HK USP. I would like to try the compact S series. They are a wonderful firearm, and most folks don't know anything about them maybe I should be quite, more Steyrrs for me, guns not kids, lol!!!

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Welcome to the world of Steyr ownership! They're great pistols - very much underappreciated in the US market. I got my S9 ages ago as my first "new" CCW piece, and loved it from the start. Now also have a M357, and first chance I get I'll pick up another one of whatever type.

Cheers!

Jim D.

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

Thanks everyone, going to put some more rounds through it today!!

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    I have a Steyr M357. Check this thread for my opinion. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ort-added.html

Here's a hint: I would love to find a Steyr in 9mm at a good price.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I have a Steyr M357. Check this thread for my opinion. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ort-added.html

Here's a hint: I would love to find a Steyr in 9mm at a good price.
    I was selling my 2 Steyrs at cost a few months back. Where were you? I had one NIB w/ 2 mags, and one was outfitted with a full Big Taco enhancement package (stainless guide rod, delrin striker cups, extractor 2.0, grip plug) and 7 (yes 7) mags! You know what they say Doc, you snooze, you lose.

I know where a NIB M9-A1 is at for $375, it only has one mag but you can get mags through CDNN. I am really looking for a M40. PM me for info.

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I've been carrying Steyrs for years. My first (not carry) was a GB back in the '80s. Then in the late 90s I picked up a M9 and a S9. My EDC now is a the M40A1.

Great guns, great prices not many accessories but thats OK with me.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Who needs the bling, bling!!! Give me a dependable weapon over accessories any day of the week!!! I just wish I would have found out about these guns 15 years ago!!!

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links