Kahr PM9 - Great Gun But Has Magazine Problem

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 - Great Gun But Has Magazine Problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned a Kahr PM9 for several months. It has one glaring issue - the stock magazines are junk. The round instability causes jamming ...

Thread: Kahr PM9 - Great Gun But Has Magazine Problem

Kahr PM9 - Great Gun But Has Magazine Problem

I have owned a Kahr PM9 for several months. It has one glaring issue - the stock magazines are junk. The round instability causes jamming problems and rounds to fall out of backup mags. Anyone who owns a Kahr PM9 needs to do two things: 1) view this video to understand the problem,

YouTube - Kahr PM9 - Feeding Problem Solved! ProMag Magazine Does The Trick!

2) throw the stock mags away and purchase ProMag magazines. The difference is huge.

I love the Kahr PM9 as a concealed carry weapon, but the stock mags are very disappointing and very disconcerting considering the quality of the weapon.

2. Remove Ads

I have the MK9 and PM9. I've never had an issue with the stock magazines, but it looks like some others have had the issue, especially when using the slingshot method. I'm also not in the club that carries a gun without a round in the chamber.

There's an ongoing thread with this exact discussion. You might want to follow up there since it was your original video that was posted. This is probably a good solution for slingshot people.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ube-video.html

Looked at the ProMag website - looks like they have a 7-rd mag, but no flush-fitting 6-rd mag.

I don't want to say anything else...lest I be accused of bashing Kahr again...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I don't want to say anything else...lest I be accused of bashing Kahr again...
    - I never took you for a Kahr basher, but I don't think Kahr is the right gun for you since you also use the slingshot method. It doesn't appear reliable for people who use that.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I never took you for a Kahr basher, but I don't think Kahr is the right gun for you since you also use the slingshot method. It doesn't appear reliable for people who use that.
    Actually, I didn't use the "slingshot" method to chamber the first round - I always carried with a round in the chamber, which I loaded using Kahr's recommended slide-stop lever method.

The issue was with dud clearance drills. If you try to eject the chambered JHP round by doing a "tap and rack" you will likely end up with a jammed pistol - at least that was what I experienced with both of my PM9's.

Of course, the likelihood of a dud is low with premium factory ammo - so maybe this isn't that big of a deal for some folks. For me - I require my pistols to tolerate manual racking for the purposes of clearing a dud, without drama. While rare, dud rounds do happen.

It sure would be nice for someone from Kahr to address this...

Even after having three bad experiences with Kahr guns - I would be willing to give them another chance...IF they acknowledged the problem publicly, AND came up with a resolution, AND reverted to their lifetime warranty policy.

I ain't holding my breath...
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

All of my Kahr mags are leaps and bounds better than the promags.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

I have 6 stock mags for mine and have yet to have any problem out of the gun or mag yet.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum...Aren't you the guy that made the video???
    I've never had a problem with my Kahr mags but then again, I carry my guns loaded... I can slingshot my CW9 without causing a jam...maybe the recoil spring of the PM9 makes a difference...Maybe the kahr just isn't the gun for you...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rightquiteno View Post
    ...Problem Solved! ProMag Magazine Does The Trick![/url]

2) throw the stock mags away and purchase ProMag magazines. The difference is huge.
    I think that's the first time I've ever heard that one, more often than not Promags are pieces of junk. I don't think I've ever had a mag from them that worked 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by rightquiteno View Post
    I have owned a Kahr PM9 for several months. It has one glaring issue - the stock magazines are junk. The round instability causes jamming problems and rounds to fall out of backup mags. Anyone who owns a Kahr PM9 needs to do two things: 1) view this video to understand the problem,

YouTube - Kahr PM9 - Feeding Problem Solved! ProMag Magazine Does The Trick!

I love the Kahr PM9 as a concealed carry weapon, but the stock mags are very disappointing and very disconcerting considering the quality of the weapon.
    Are you trolling...?

1) It's common knowledge that the ProMags cause issues with many PM9s, while the factory mags are viewed as reliable.
    2) Your slingshot method leaves much to be desired. Stop riding the slide and prohibiting the recoil spring from doing its job. My PM9 has never failed to feed with proper slingshot technique (including pushing with the gun hand while pulling back with the other) since its initial break-in period.
    3) Carry a round in the chamber and feed the top round by releasing the slide stop as the manual states. That's the way Kahr intended the weapon to be carried. You will most likely not have time to chamber a round should you ever need to use the weapon.
    4) Your tone and video reference sound an awful lot like the other poster on the Kahr mag "issue" from a week or two ago. Coincidence?

If you're referring to me...yes, coincidence! I'm not the guy who made the video - I just found it on YouTube and thought it might be helpful for those who, like me, experienced this issue.

I've never said that all Kahr handguns are bad, or that every owner will have issues with them. However, there does seem to be a significant minority of owners who do experience issues with these guns. The reliability polls I did a few months back seems to bear this out.

Defenders of Kahr seem to think that if they do not personally experience an issue, it must not be real.

I no longer own a Kahr. MY only intent in posting is to alert others of potential issues, what to do about them, and to try and find out why they are happening - from an engineering point of view. Read the other thread all the way through, and you will find this out.

As far as ProMags go - the reviews on MidwayUSA were mixed. Not sure this is a real solution to the intermittent issues with feeding in this pistol.
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    this thread started off with an uncanny trollishness

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Defenders of Kahr seem to think that if they do not personally experience an issue, it must not be real.
    Nope...not doing that at all. Just trying to balance the video where extremely poor slingshot technique (I suspect on purpose to make a point) leads to an invalid conclusion about a weapon's reliability and function. The fault lies with the user ... not the weapon!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The major problems I've seen remarked the most on in forums concern the Kahr mags tendency to shed rounds in backup cases and also excess wear and tear on the follower. I've owned six different Kahrs and have never experienced mag problems. They suit me just fine, however I don't carry one in a case.

Off topic, but... One can slingshot a Kahr slide so long as one doesn't ride the slide, (as with most every other gun made for that matter), provided it is done properly.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    this thread started off with an uncanny trollishness
    Yep, especially since the OP hasn't been back on the forum since he made the original post...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Links