Defensive Carry banner

Glock 4th generation

5K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  dcs12345 
#1 ·
I have read several articles that seem to imply that either the 4th generation of the Glock pistol or some later modification may include an adjustable or interchangeable back strap set up like the S&W M&P or some of the other polymer pistols out there.

Just wondering if anyone has any more info of such and what the general feeling on this might be.

For me, as I am a glock fan but not a HUGE one (the gun just does not fit my hand well, but I still own a few and love them) if the gun could be better fit to my hand, by me, then I honestly can not see anything that would keep me from going completely Glock. The fact that the grip on all of mine are just so much like holding a brick as far as ergonomics goes is the only thing that keeps me from owning more of them.

I hope it's true.

#2 ·
#4 ·
But the new mags will work in the older pistols! We know how modular Glock is in design, so I figure it would be an easy swap of the mag release back to the old style.

#5 ·
I like the ambi-release. Easier to press with the trigger finger and keep your grip.

I kind of like the proposed grip texture too.:smile:

#7 ·
I understand the 'brick' feel of the Glock grip, except for the G-36 (my first Glock). I cannot visualize any grip addition that would make the Glock grip 'smaller'...perhaps, a smoother brick feeling?:blink:

#8 ·
Man...I hate that I just bouht my G26 and now they are coming out with something new right afterwards. Well, thats typical...things like this always happen to me.

#10 ·
Me also. The new G26 feels and shoots well for me. So I don't care what comes out in the future. For me, a weapon is a tool for self defense. Some of my best tools are my oldest tools. Perhaps the G26 will be protecting me and mine for years to come. Just like my best shotgun which was made in the fifties and I have been shooting since the sixties.

#9 ·
If I remember correctly, the 17 and 22 are supposed to be (from what I've read, so take it with a grain of salt...) the first two 4th gens out, followed by the 19 and 23.

I wouldn't expect a 26 out for quite some time, maybe a year from now. I also wouldn't buy a 4th gen until they've been out for a while and tested, so I certainly wouldn't regret a recent purchase of a 26.

I plan to buy a 19 in January when I get my concealed pistol license. I assume the 4th gen won't be out by then, but even if it is, I'd get a 3rd gen for now and maybe a 4th gen a year or so after they've been out.

#11 ·
I heard that the recoil assembly on the compacts and full size will be an extended version of the subcompact. A longer double recoil spring if you will.

There will be three backstraps and the mag catch is reversable.

Glock will still offer the 3rd generation. I would have thought that this Glock would be the 5th and the RTF was the 4th?

#13 ·
So what I am reading is that Glock will finally do what everyone else has been doing the last 3-5 years! Not to bust the chops of my beloved Glock, but it's the truth. Glock is pretty slow to evolve, look at the difference between 1,2,3 gens. If they were not so reliable and didn't have such a fan base, Glocks would be average at best.

Let's hope they keep the reliability on par with what we are used to, and I am sure they will. Glock's have always been like a hammer, one goes bang and the other goes whack every time!

#14 ·
Well, I see it like this: used to be in the past, Glock pretty much marketed itself with little publicity outside competition, law-enforcement, military, and certain other somewhat exclusive communities. Serious Glockers have more than likely been through at least two of the Glock generations, and some have just got on board and fell in love for one reason or another. However, as we can see on this forum alone, there are those hoping, wishing, or wanting to take another look at the Glock if only the Glocks had "such and such or this and that". Other than overseas military contracts and the like, I figure the United States is the largest market for LE and civilian sales. In this sliding US economy (and worldwide for that matter), it only makes sense to start catering to a larger customer base and more opportunities as I'm sure they have lost some over the years. Kind of like automobiles....flooded the market, but now turnover has slowed. Or maybe...just maybe, Glocks are lasting longer than expected? Ya think? So...in my mind, Glock never has needed to nor do I believe they are now....trying to catch up with any competition in whatever form. They just have someone smart in marketing just like they have someone smart in engineering. And just maybe....maybe after all of these years with booming sales and totally satisfied customers throughout the industry.....they are simply opening up more opportunities and projected sales, and may be listening to consumer input from sources. Why be satisfied with current trends staying at the current level, or dropping slightly? Purely survival instinct, and if Glock does well with the new market, then we'll all benefit by the prices remaining somewhat steady on their pistols. I'm sure they have enough contracts well into the next decade to sustain the company as is, even considering some of the American law enforcement community dropping some, and some adopting them year to year. Glock has done their research well, and "3-5 years catching up with others" is a fallacy in my opinion. Not "catching up", just a very wise thing to do in the corporate world especially now. While others have taken risk and jumped in amidst being bought and sold and changed ownerships as corporations, Glock has remained the rock in the foundation. The company is by no means slow to learn, or scrambling for the lifeboats. Perhaps now is the time to be more modular than they have been in the past. It just makes sense. I'm also sure the so called 'late response' could be attributed to their ethics and standards of doing extensive research in the markets, and where others may project 3-5 years, maybe Glock looks ten years in either direction (past and future), long enough to have more stable statistics than others. Glock slow to evolve? Surely you jest. A company, a man, and a firearm that originally left all others behind at least twenty years? You can't expect me to take that seriously. Are they fighting for share of the current market with these newer models? I seriously doubt it. Am I defending Glock for their decisions or perceived lack thereof? Nope. I know they are fully capable of defending themselves. I'm just sayin'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.