Little Help Here

This is a discussion on Little Help Here within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so now that I am fully comfortable carrying and have the dressing and holster carry options dialed in. I have been saving my dollars ...

Thread: Little Help Here

Little Help Here

Ok so now that I am fully comfortable carrying and have the dressing and holster carry options dialed in. I have been saving my dollars to buy something a bit more concealable than my P85 MKII. While I love this gun, it shoots great and is accurate as all get up. I want something smaller for summer carry. I pretty much have my mind set on the Glock 27 with the added mag grip extension. 40 cal is better stopping power than the 9 and it is so much smaller it would be no problem concealing especially after learning how to conceal with the big gun. What I am wondering is the pros and cons of the Glock 27 or maybe you guys know of a better recommendation in the same size and price range. Just wanted to tap into the experience here. Thanks!!!
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

2. Remove Ads

Ever concider a Kahr ???
    "That one was rubber, The next one is live"

Lead Moderator
    The only really drawback to any double stack .40 I have found is the slide thickness.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Of course this is a long fought debate, but, how to say this..... the advantage in "stopping power" of the .40 over the 9mm is still contemporary and contested on both sides.

If you're set on a .40 though, the 27 would be a good choice since you aren't looking for a necessarily "flat" gun. But if I were going to a .40 cal Glock I believe I'd go with the 23. By the time you add an extender to the 27, you'll have the grip length of a 23 with a shorter barrel that won't hold as many rounds.

The G27 is a great gun. I carry a G26. Either one is extremely reliable, easy to carry and certainly accurate enough for a personal defense handgun. Glocks are real workhorses. I keep playing around with other guns, but the fact is that most Glocks just keep on shooting. I am not disparaging any other makes, but you just cannot go wrong with a G27. Good luck.

What Tangle said. I, too, would suggest going up one size (since you're going to put the extension on anyway).
    I had a couple of G26s (I find that 9mm vs 40.... I can get 9mm really cheap, so I picked that) but when I hopefully get another Glock, I'll get the G19. A girl here at work has one and it seems like about the optimum size.

I carry a glock 27 for my primary CCW gun. It is very reliable and easy to shoot. I conceals well IWB. The Kahr would be my second choice. Go down to the range and rent a glock or a Kahr if they have any available. Besides being concealable the gun must be comfortable for you to shoot!!

Talking Holy Glock-o-moli!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Of course this is a long fought debate, but, how to say this..... the advantage in "stopping power" of the .40 over the 9mm is still contemporary and contested on both sides.

If you're set on a .40 though, the 27 would be a good choice since you aren't looking for a necessarily "flat" gun. But if I were going to a .40 cal Glock I believe I'd go with the 23. By the time you add an extender to the 27, you'll have the grip length of a 23 with a shorter barrel that won't hold as many rounds.
    But the Glock M27 will accept mags from both the M23 & the M22 for 13 & 15rds. There are little spacers you can get for a seamless grip. I carry two M22 mags with these spacers as backup, but the M27 rides IWB with it's std 9rd truncated mag for max concealability. It's dead on accurate out to 25 yds (I've shot IDPA matches with it) and that combo gives me 40rds of 40 cal ready to launch. In fact if you look at my gallery you'll see it there, with the extended grip and spacer. These days though I'm much more impressed by the H&K USP and USP compact, especially with the new LEM trigger module.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Just be aware that smaller size usually means less weight , and
    more recoil.

I have a 3" 9mm that weighs 17 oz. , and a .357 snubby that
    weighs 24 oz.

The 9mm jumps around more than the snubby.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Glock mid-frames are great for carry. The longer grip provides palm support, which helps prevent throwing out a shot. If you start adding grip extenders to the Glock minis, you may as well go with the mid-frame. The grip is swept back so it "hides" upward and not back (helps prevent printing).

Define what you want--then use the gun in that role. The mini Glocks are "belly" guns--good backups, but not great primary pistols.

In the great 9mm vs 357 SIG vs 40 S&W vs 45 ACP vs 45 GAP debate, remember that heavier bullets (especially 200+ grains) will tend to shear through clothes, flesh, and bone better than lighter ones. You want the bullet to work its way through to the heart, spine or brain because these are fight stopping hits. Heavier bullets also tend to maintain their ability to transfer momentum at range. A light bullet that loses velocity at range will have reduced ability to transfer momentum. This is not reflected by energy at the muzzle(listed as foot/pounds). Also, flat and hollow points *crush* flesh, while round nose shifts it out of the way. Crushed flesh doesn't spring back; it just bleeds.

So, back to Glocks.... Capacity is important, but your choice in ammunition is even more so. Given the above, look for rounds that will impact for maximum damage with penetration optimized for people (sorry, no 310 grain 44 Magnum bullets!). Look at capacity too, but it's a definite trade-off between the mid-frames and minis.
    If you're going to increase the length of the grip just so you can rest your finger, then you may as well extend the important part of the grip that supports the palm.

I know I'm going to get flogged for this, BUT if your primary carry piece is NOT a Glock, you may want to reconsider going Glock for your secondary weapon. Glocks have a completely different course of arms and will take some getting used to. Yes, they go bang real easily, but for some they do so TOO easily.

If you are a gun guy, live and sleep with your gun, and practice enough to give both your primary and secondary weapons equal range time, then fine. If you are more like the normal person with a CCW you may want to find the closest thing to your primary weapon for your summer carry. The Kahr DAO is a good suggestion as it is not overly willing to go bang, but also adds no additional safety to learn.

Just my opinion. I personally carry a 92D (DAO) Beretta and use a 642 (also DAO) for pocket carry. Nothing new to learn other than how to reload the dang wheel gun. Draw and fire though is pretty much the same. I like things simple as I am not LE and am not experienced in SHTF situations. Keeping things simple and similar reduces my chances of choking if I am ever so unlucky as to have an encounter.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.
    May it serve you well and never be needed!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle357
    I know I'm going to get flogged for this, BUT if your primary carry piece is NOT a Glock, you may want to reconsider going Glock for your secondary weapon. Glocks have a completely different course of arms and will take some getting used to. Yes, they go bang real easily, but for some they do so TOO easily.

If you are a gun guy, live and sleep with your gun, and practice enough to give both your primary and secondary weapons equal range time, then fine. If you are more like the normal person with a CCW you may want to find the closest thing to your primary weapon for your summer carry. The Kahr DAO is a good suggestion as it is not overly willing to go bang, but also adds no additional safety to learn.

Just my opinion. I personally carry a 92D (DAO) Beretta and use a 642 (also DAO) for pocket carry. Nothing new to learn other than how to reload the dang wheel gun. Draw and fire though is pretty much the same. I like things simple as I am not LE and am not experienced in SHTF situations. Keeping things simple and similar reduces my chances of choking if I am ever so unlucky as to have an encounter.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.
    May it serve you well and never be needed!
    I'm gonna have to agree with that Gargoyle. A transition from a Glock to almost any other gun is also different because of the grip angle. I've seen top level shooters try to transition to a Glock and shoot high.

Of course I have a theory that a Glock's grip angle is just about the same as a revolver grip angle.

Go full size good holster and belt no one will ever know i carry a glock 20 and its not small by any means

Links