Stoeger Cougar, 9mm

This is a discussion on Stoeger Cougar, 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some advise on this particular gun. My daughter's boyfriend thinks this is the one for him. I've never even seen one. Looks like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoeger Cougar, 9mm

Stoeger Cougar, 9mm

I need some advise on this particular gun. My daughter's boyfriend thinks this is the one for him. I've never even seen one. Looks like the going price around here new is $400. I know, you can get a used Glock for a little more, but he is interested in this particular gun. Anyone have any experience and advise for me to help guide him?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

Don't know the gun, but it's difficult to talk someone out of what they think is right for them... Maybe it is... There is only one way to find out, you never know.

IIRC, it began life as the Beretta Cougar. It's now made in Turkey under the Stoeger name due to cheaper labor costs.

I have not personally tried the Cougar. However, here is a write-up from Dave Spaulding for what it's worth.
    Stoeger Cougar Handgun
    Good luck,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Tell him he needs better taste in guns, like Glocks, or he can't date your daughter...

Seriously...

I've shot a friends and it seems like a good dependable gun...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

He would LOVE the gun. The quality is good, will last, and are good guns. Don't even try to put these guns in the same "type" of gun as a Glock, XD, etc. They are not the same "type" of gun at all, and you won't find so much plastic.

They are a bit larger, but can carry easy with the right holster. The rotating barrel improves accuracy.

He couldn't go wrong with this gun, unless it is just not the "type " of gun he's looking for.

They seem to be a little bulky for carry IMHO, but solid overall. A new Glock can be had on GB for 475 or so.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Great guns - well made, accurate, reliable. Made on the same machinery as the original Beretta Cougars, comes with Beretta mags. Try Google, plenty of info out there.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    I had the Beretta cougar it wasn't a bad gun at all.
    Last edited by shooterX; December 2nd, 2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    They seem to be a little bulky for carry IMHO, but solid overall. A new Glock can be had on GB for 475 or so.
    You think a cougar is bulky then suggest a glock?

Distinguished Member
    I have two, a Beretta version and a Stoeger version in 40 S&W. I am carrying the Beretta version in a Sparks VM-II right now and have been all day to include a 2 hour drive. It isn't as bulky as some suggest. It is smaller than the 92 and is a mid-size carry gun.

Great weapon, very reliable and shoots well. I have Meprolight tritium sights on both and the magazines are cheap and plentiful in 9mm.

I highly recommend the gun, but you should be able to get the Stoeger 9mm cheaper than $400.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=148102892
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

The original Beretta Cougar, several years ago cost me $650 and that was with $100 off. It still looks brand new and shoots great.

Compare it in size to any Glock or XD, etc. It's not much different. It's not a sub-compact size, but even then it's not that much larger.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    The original Beretta Cougar, several years ago cost me $650 and that was with $100 off. It still looks brand new and shoots great.

Compare it in size to any Glock or XD, etc. It's not much different. It's not a sub-compact size, but even then it's not that much larger.
    I agree, mine wasn't much different in size than my XD, and concealed just fine.

jbs
    My carry is the 8040. Great gun. Not one problem and easy enough to conceal. Stoeger makes the gun with beretta machines, they are a division of beretta. It is basically a beretta.
    If he thinks it's too large, the PX4 is smaller and has the same rotating barrel design.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

I have the Beretta version in 9mm withWalnut grips. The gun is very smooth to shoot. My tiny wife enjoys shooting this as well. I did look at the Stoeger version at Gander Mountain and the main difference I saw was the bluing is much better on my Beretta.

I own one and carry as well. I just ordered an 92fs MtAc (I suspect the cougar will fit just fine). It needs a good holster for concealment, the only real drawback is the weight IMO. Gun shoots great and is reliable when lube appropriately. I really like it alot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links