Ruger Vaquero .357

This is a discussion on Ruger Vaquero .357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always liked the western style six shooter. I'm considering a Vaquero in .357 to add to my collection. If anyone here has one I'd ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Vaquero .357

Ruger Vaquero .357

I've always liked the western style six shooter. I'm considering a Vaquero in .357 to add to my collection. If anyone here has one I'd like to know how well they're constructed, how's their accuracy, etc.? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I've never heard anything negative about them
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

All I have ever fired were extremly accurate. I don't think anyone will dispute that they are the most solid built 357 MAG. If you go with the Blackhawk it is basically the same gun with adjustable sights. All of the newer fixed sighted Rugers that I have fired have been dead on. But if you play around with different ammo point of impact will change. Just a thought.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    +1. I would go with the Blackhawk for the adjustable sights. It would make a great field gun...Vaquero's are really nice and everything Ruger builds is a tank...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have a couple of the Ruger Vaquero .44 mag's and I love them. Sent one off and had Bob Munden work on it and it's one of my favorite firearms...

If I could only have one handgun and it had to serve all my needs and last as long as I do it would be a Ruger single action.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Just a great single action revolver, built like a bank vault to last several life times. Accurate, reliable and solid all around. One of the best for Cowboy Action shooting. I replaced the springs in mine with Wolff springs and the trigger and action are butter smooth now.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Just a great single action revolver, built like a bank vault to last several life times. Accurate, reliable and solid all around. One of the best for Cowboy Action shooting. I replaced the springs in mine with Wolff springs and the trigger and action are butter smooth now.

Really NICE!

I've never had a Vaquero but I have had three Blackhawks and found all three of them to be great guns to own and shoot. Very well thought out and very well built. A Vaquero has been on my "Must Get One Someday List" for a long time now, along with at least 10 other handguns. Let's not even get into the rifle list!

I've had Vaqueros and Blackhawks in both .44 and .38/.357. They are built like tanks, will last forever, very accurate and just plain fun. I prefer the original. more robust model with Bisley grips. However, the new model Vaquero is considerably lighter and thinner. For .38/.357, assuming the plow-handle grip is OK for you, that may be the way to go. I do agree with the comments on the Blackhawk. If you plan to shoot various types of ammo, get the adjustable sights.

Well made guns...

I've had a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 for 40 years, and a Vaquero in .44 magnum for 10 years. They are both excellent guns with good accuracy. Although the Vaquero looks more "authentic", the adjustable sights of the Blackhawk are very useful. But the fixed sights on my Vaquero are right on target, so I wouldn't adjust them if I could.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I was just looking at one today. I too have had this on my Wish List a while now. the one I looked at today, was similar to what pirate shows in his post. For me, I think I'd like the 5.5 inch barrel...

If I could get one of the older 44 Mags in stainless, that would be great too. I just can't flow the cash to make either happen right now.

you won't find much negative about these online. The negative comments are likely out there, but very few, and very far between.

I once had a Blackhawk in 38/357/9mm convertable. I never used the 9mm cylinder and sold it too quickly. It's one of the ones I'd like back.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I have a Vaquero in 44-40 with case coloring. First time I cleaned it, the case coloring came off the loading gate. I just checked their website and they don't offer that finish anymore.

Random pic of color case below.
    Attached Images
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Bought a .45 Vaquero in '99 when Jumbo went out of business. 44-40 was to hard to find, and .357 looked like a funny small hole in the barrel. It was the first center-fire my son shot, and he did so well, it's his gun now.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Here is my Bob Munden Customized Ruger Vaquero .44 Magnum with Iberian Stag Horn grips (bought before Clinton stopped their importation) and my "Huckleberry Rig".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links