Glock Modifications

This is a discussion on Glock Modifications within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; stock on most. did put the 3.5 trigger on one. some with night sites, don't know why, just did. the thing about a glock you ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock Modifications

stock on most. did put the 3.5 trigger on one. some with night sites, don't know why, just did. the thing about a glock you don't have to do anything to them, they just work, work right out of the box.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The only three mods I do are night sights, the Glock extended slide stop lever and a Sherer 3.5lb connector.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    While Glocks are truely outstanding handguns right out of the box, there are many things that can be easily and inexpensively done to make them handle and function better. These mods do not interfere with holstering, reliable operation and handling in any way. And I carry IWB and OWB often. The expense to replace/install these parts is very low for the most part except for the night sights. And all were done by me and are relatively easy and quick to do for anyone with even basic mechanical skills.

G19
    Trigicon night sights
    3.5 connector
    Wolff trigger springs and striker spring
    Glock extended magazine release
    Extended slide stop lever
    Extended slide lock/release
    SS guide rod
    Grip backstrap plug
    Pearce plus one mag extention

G26
    XS Big Dot night sights
    Glock extended magazine release
    Extended slide stop lever
    Extended slide lock/release
    Grip backstrap plug
    Pearce plus one mag extention

As far as the issue of legal modifications to a handgun somehow making prosecution more likely in the event of a legal shooting, well that is just another intertnet myth........lets see the news articles about DA's prosecuting gun owners for using legally modified handguns when the use of the gun was justified otherwise. With many 100's of thousands of Glocks in public hands we certainly would be seeing these cases in the liberal media. I did a Goggle search and found no cases because there are none to be found. If someone has one I would love to see it.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

My 19 and 27 have 3.5# connectors with NY 1 trigger springs. It makes for a nice even trigger pull with a crisp reset. I also have installed a trigger with trigger bar from a 17 in both of them. The 17 has a smooth faced trigger. I also have Glock night sights.

Everything else is stock. I am not a fan of the extended slide stop. It is just something to inadvertantly hit while shooting which may cause your slide to lock open when you are not empty. I use the hand over top method of charging the chamber. It is a gross motor skill that will not diminish in a combat situation.

Some people swear by them. To each his own.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I'm a big fan of the 3.5lb connectors. Keep in mind that a 3.5lb connector does not equal a 3.5lb trigger pull. It actually averages about 7lbs on my Glocks....which is about what my Kahr K9 measures right out of the box. I'm comfortable with this for CCW. I think the best low cost modification for a Glock is to polish the trigger bar where it slides against the connector. Viewed with a magnifying glass, the trigger bar surface is fairly rough when new and this contributes to some of the "staple gun" feel of a new Glock trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    As far as the issue of legal modifications to a handgun somehow making prosecution more likely in the event of a legal shooting, well that is just another intertnet myth........lets see the news articles about DA's prosecuting gun owners for using legally modified handguns when the use of the gun was justified otherwise. With many 100's of thousands of Glocks in public hands we certainly would be seeing these cases in the liberal media. I did a Goggle search and found no cases because there are none to be found. If someone has one I would love to see it.
    Check out Masad Ayoob's writings as an Expert Witness in many trials, and the ProArms podcast, he talks about this issue (short answer: for SD, keep your gun stock).
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Trijicon night sites. That's all she needs.

If it was the pocket glocks, a pinky extender is nice to have as an option depending on carry type for the day.

About it.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by qdoggydogg View Post
    I know there are a ton of Glock owners out there, and was wondering what types of mods you have done and what the results were. I have been looking at the 3.5 lb trigger pull and a new recoil spring, and perhaps an extended mag release. Any feedback would be helpful!
    I replace all of my factory Glock recoil rods/springs with afermarket stainless/steel rods and captive or non-captive with factory rated springs. Some of them get replaced before the first shot fired. The 3.5lb connector alone I might recommend for competition only, but the 3.5lb connector/NY1 trigger spring combo is awesome in my book, but the factory 5.5lb works fine for most. If you plan to carry the Glock pistol, an extended mag release could be a pain in your side in more ways than one. Again...I'd recommend for competition speed only. If you can't reach and deploy the factory release with strong hand, I'd suggest researching other techniques including operation with the weak hand. Other than that, all of my Glocks that come with original sights get night sites as soon as possible.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    Check out Masad Ayoob's writings as an Expert Witness in many trials, and the ProArms podcast, he talks about this issue (short answer: for SD, keep your gun stock).
    I have and I am well aware of Mr. Ayoob's thoughts and writings on this issue but it does not change the fact there are just no real documented cases of legal modifications or in this case just parts ungrades to a handgun changing the outcome of a trial for the negative of the shooter if the shooting was deamed legally defendable. If there are show me one. I have researched this issue extensively and have found no cases of this issue anywhere in the country. None of these modifications make the gun more deadly or less safe if the gun is used safely or change the basic operation of the gun. People want to mention Ayoob like that makes it a fact but never show any proof or facts, where are the examples? You want find any thats why. Should everybody run take the night sights off and 3.5 connectors and SS guide rods out of their guns. Better not use hi cap mags either I guess. If so send them to me, I will put them to good use.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Wolff steel guide rod and main spring, Meprolight Tru-Dot night sights, Glockstore.com's extended magazine release, slug plug.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

To date, my G26 only has the extended slide lock lever.
    Without it, field stripping wasn't merely frustrating, it didn't happen!

There's a lot of really great ideas here. Thanks everyone, and extra thanks to OP.
    Good topic!
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

I think I can skip the mag release since I don't do any competition shooting, and my only hold back on the slide release is that I rarely use the one that's on the frame. Just trying to get a feel with what some of your experience have been with the mods, I know that some will work for me and some won't and its definitely my gun! I need to feel a different trigger on someone else's gun before i get into that. The real problem is every time I get my catalog from the GlockStore I just keep looking at all the cool mods!! Like a kid in a candy store. Thanks to all for your responses!!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Question Slide STOP, not slide LOCK

[QUOTE=Lewis128;1395166]To date, my G26 only has the extended slide lock lever.
    Without it, field stripping wasn't merely frustrating, it didn't happen! QUOTE]

Seems to be some confusion on several threads. Often the poster means the slide LOCK lever. This can confude some readers not familiar with Glock components.

The slide "stop" is what you push down to remove the slide from the frame. An extended slide lock only helps those who have difficulty stripping the weapon. No needed for SD.

The slide "lock" lever is what locks the slide back after the last round is fired. The factory one IS difficult to use for many and the extended one makes it much easier to release the slide to battery position. May be very helpful in a quick reload scenerio.

EAJ
    Glock 30

25 Trigger Job
    Extended Magazine Release
    Extended Slide Release
    Extended Takedown Slide Lock
    Jentra Magazine Plug
    Pachmayr Slip-on Rubber Grip
    Pearce Grip Extension
    Scherer 3.5 lb. Connector

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links