Glock Modifications - Page 4

Glock Modifications

This is a discussion on Glock Modifications within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a siderlock trigger lock on mine. I have a real safety now!...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock Modifications

I have a siderlock trigger lock on mine. I have a real safety now!
    "If everyone was allowed to carry guns, them hijackers wouldn't have no superiority. All you gotta do is arm all the passengers, then no hijacker would risk pullin' a rod."

- Archie Bunker

No mods necessary to my Glocks. I like them just the way they are.

My list:
    TruGlo TFO's on the G27 / AmeriGlo's on the G23
    Pearce +1 - G27
    T.R. Grahams M.G.S.L. (both)
    Grip Plug (both)
    Chrome Slide Cover plate (both)
    Stainless Steel Recoil Spring Assembly (both)
    40-9 Conversion Barrel & 9mm Mags - for when I want - (both)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan9493 View Post
    Are we all just letting this slide?!

Not that simple

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    As far as the issue of legal modifications to a handgun somehow making prosecution more likely in the event of a legal shooting, well that is just another intertnet myth........lets see the news articles about DA's prosecuting gun owners for using legally modified handguns when the use of the gun was justified otherwise. With many 100's of thousands of Glocks in public hands we certainly would be seeing these cases in the liberal media. I did a Goggle search and found no cases because there are none to be found. If someone has one I would love to see it.

It's not that simple.

What usually happens is the other side makes a point of it in the court room to create "doubt" about your arguments to defend yourself.

They don't have to charge you with it. They simply have to "convince" a jury of what is most likely an anti-gun and/or gun ignorant group of 12 people "too stupid to get out of jury duty"...

Think about it.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by nathan9493 View Post
    The problem with this product is that you can only disengage the safety from one side. If you need to use your other hand to shoot one-handed (your shooting hand is injured, etc), you will not be able to disengage the safety.

Think about it.

My rule for external manual safeties on handguns is that they must be ambidextrous. Then again, none of my handguns have external manual safeties...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

sfo
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    For SD, I would leave it like it is. IMHO, better not to modify if you ever end up in front of a jury, better not to modify for dependability. Both are just opinions casually researched.
    i strongly second the above.
    i have a G26 that i carry and when i first bought it i saw all the aftermarket parts and stuff they had for Glocks compared to my XD. so i went out and got some of them just to take them back off. unnecessary. i had the lightened 3.5 lb connector and a couple other things. what did help is doing the $.25 trigger job. i strongly recommend doing it. once i did that it was so nice and smooth i didn't need the 3.5 lb connector. my G26 is now all stock with the factory nite sights. i did buy a couple Glock 12 rd mags though.

I only modified the handling aspects of mine. I left the innards alone, as I trust them implicitly.

Grip sleeves, Night sights, extended slide releases, magazine extensions (one for grip and the other for capacity), Tactical Light, laser sight, and that's about it.

After improving the grip and feel characteristics, I felt complete confidence in them as weapons. I did not change the trigger pull weight as I don't like having them be too light.

In a high-stress situation, I'll be fine to pull around 5 lbs or so...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I have and I am well aware of Mr. Ayoob's thoughts and writings on this issue but it does not change the fact there are just no real documented cases of legal modifications or in this case just parts ungrades to a handgun changing the outcome of a trial for the negative of the shooter if the shooting was deamed legally defendable...
    I did not want to hyjack the thread, but would like to hear more conversation on pirate's statement.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1398986
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I did not want to hyjack the thread, but would like to hear more conversation on pirate's statement.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1398986
    As far as documented cases of legal modifications or in this case just parts upgrades to a handgun changing the outcome of a trial for the negative for the shooter if the shooting was deemed legally defendable...I have not found any, but that not to say there have not been some examples some where in the liberal leaning states, counties or cities. But I stand by the old adage of "I would rather be "tried by 12 than carried by 6" so if I plan on defending my family, home and carrying a handgun I want every legal advantage I can get. If you are scared off by the fear of liberal prosecutors railroading you after an otherwise legally defendable shooting you need to just get a single shot black power handgun I guess. I mean where would this end. If the prosecutor is out to get you or make an example of you it does not really matter what type of firearm you are using, its the circumstances that will make the difference. Its not any different than if you got in a car wreck where someone is killed or injured and while it was found not to be your fault, but you drive a fast sports car or supped up car so you would fear this somehow makes you more likely to be procecuted in case of a accident. This could be said of almost anything somebody could potentially be injured on, like backyard swimming pools, ATV's, bicycles, trampolines.....on and on. So are we to fear everything or just live our lives as free men?
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

In their podcast, the Proarms team (Ayoob et al) cite 2 cases in which people were prosecuted for having been in a shooting while possibly using a light trigger. Notice I didn't say modified trigger. They say it's perfectly fine to have a trigger smoothed or even lightened down to what the manufacturer deems safe, but no lighter. A too light of a trigger includes the single action function of a revolver.

Note that one or both of the cited cases involved prosecution of a LEO.
    Here's the podcast (scroll down):
    ProArms Blog Archive 022 Pull my Trigger

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett4x4 View Post
    In their podcast, the Proarms team (Ayoob et al) cite 2 cases in which people were prosecuted for having been in a shooting while possibly using a light trigger. Notice I didn't say modified trigger. They say it's perfectly fine to have a trigger smoothed or even lightened down to what the manufacturer deems safe, but no lighter. A too light of a trigger includes the single action function of a revolver.

Note that one or both of the cited cases involved prosecution of a LEO.
    Here's the podcast (scroll down):
    ProArms Blog Archive 022 Pull my Trigger
    None of the mods anyone has listed here would fall in that catagory so whats the point? Installing a 3.5 connector and doing a .25 trigger job will not get you in hot water if you are in involved in an otherwise legally defendable shooting. Ayoob is talking about accidental or negligent discharges of a firearm where someone was shot in the Pod cast, not shootings where the use of the gun in self defense was otherwise totally legally justified. Again, I challange anyone to show even one case where a legal modification to a handgun got someone prosecuted if the shooting was justifiable otherwise.....I am willing to bet its never happened. But enough is enough on this issue I am sure everyone is tiring of it usless somebody shows examples, so I say be a free man and make up your own mind and do as you see fit and resonable, or just become another sheep......
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I haven't read this whole thread, so if this is on here I am not trying to copy anyone. Here is my plan someday

G19 OD frame
    Lone wolf ss barrel
    SS guide rod (can you still use lasermax?)
    Trijicons
    Silver/Black slide plate cover
    chrome pin kit
    extended slide lock
    SS/chrome trigger(if there is one)

I would like a G26 to match, just one of those things to set it apart from everyone elses.

Thanks

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

XS Big Dots
    Extended slide release
    .25 cent trigger job
    GAP plates
    A-Grip
    a little dremeling here and there

I prefer a stock 5# trigger.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Amen, pirate!

I can see a problem modifying a pistol to go full auto, but to install an extended slide lock or other mod and worry about it is crazy. If someone is that concerned, perhaps they should rethink carrying a weapon in the first place.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Mods to my Glocks

G29
    Wolff 22# recoil spring on non-capture guide rod
    Ghost 3.5 lb Ultimate trigger connector

G33
    Ghost 3.5 lb Ultimate trigger connector
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links