Modifying trigger on S&W 642?

This is a discussion on Modifying trigger on S&W 642? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has a Smith and Wesson 642 .38 snubbie that she shoots quite well. A buddy of mine came over the other day to ...

Thread: Modifying trigger on S&W 642?

My wife has a Smith and Wesson 642 .38 snubbie that she shoots quite well. A buddy of mine came over the other day to let his wife try it out to see if she liked it. She did OK with it, but really had a hard time with the heavy trigger pull. (She seems to have pretty weak hands - couldn't rack the slide on my Kel-Tek P3AT.) So the question is, how difficult is it to change the trigger pull on the 642? I really don't know of any competent gunsmiths locally. Is that something the factory service would do if you mailed it in? Would appreciate it if anyone has any thoughts.

S&W Factory SuperTune.
    Got it on a 442. Big improvement.
    Call cst serv or email them.

dan

ps, runs about $89.

Wolff makes a spring kit for it. I put wolff springs in both of mine. It made a small difference. I think tuning and polishing the internals makes a bigger difference.

Administrator
    You need to change the hammer spring and the trigger rebound spring.
    They both really are heavier than they need to be for reliable ignition.

Order them from Wolff Gunsprings and a local "Smith" can do the job in about 10 minutes (probably while you wait) if you don't feel comfortable doing a disassembly yourself.

You do not want to pay to mail your gun in just to get those two springs swapped out.

It is such a minor job.

Possibly somebody at your local shooting range could do it?

Wolf Gunsprings
    ~~~> Go Here http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/...3/mID58/dID263

VIP Member
    As stated, a good trigger/action job provides the best overall results. Simply installing a spring kit alone isn’t the most ideal approach. In fact, it can cause problems in terms of safety and reliability if not done properly. To play it safe, the S&W trigger service is a good place to start. They did my older 640 and the results turned out much better than I expected.

Folks that want something more detailed often end up with a new finish, chamfered cylinder, polished charge-holes, 'Wolf' springs and other refined adjustments. This level of service will typically run $500.00 and up, depending on who you choose. Also, it will take forever and a day and will void your warranty. Keep it simple and only seek out the high-rollers after doing some research and saving a boat load of $.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Folks that want something more detailed often end up with a new finish, chamfered cylinder, polished charge-holes and other refined adjustments. This level of service will typically run $500.00 and up, depending on who you choose.
    Wow... I got a quote of well under $200 for an action job plus chamfering and polishing the cylinders on a J-frame from Kent Singletary in Phx. Unless there's a Robar finish involved, $500 seems pretty high for that work.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Take it to a 'smith' at a gun shop you do 'business' with...it shouldn't cost you around a 'C-Note' (or less) to have the trigger job completed.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Well, if his trigger is just overly heavy and not creepy or gritty than he does not need a trigger/action job.
    Switching out the two above mentioned springs for lighter weight springs...in combination with some dry firing will produce a better and lighter DA trigger without any compromise in reliability.
    The factory S&W springs are heavier than they need to be and they always have been.

Sponsored Links